$1900 for Door Latch Repair?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

$1900 for Door Latch Repair??

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ron308, May 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ron308

Ron308 Karting

May 6, 2011
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron Campbell
    I just had a nasty response to a legitimate question. And his/her response, like many of this member's responses (Rifledriver), was really snarky and rude. Is this what FC wants for this site? Does FC have any standards for members to conform to? Is this a site for bullies, or
    to help Ferrari owners?

2. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    You know i went and reread his reply, seems he was simply calling out the armchair quarterbacks who have no idea what is required to fix your car. Basically saying, they're not the ones who are physically wrenching on the door so how can they say what a mechanic will have into it timewise. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but he was pretty to the point and ended it by essentially saying, Ferrari's are going to be expensive to fix (never been a secret before) so don't be surprised when it is. I personally don't want to see someone like him leave the forum simply b/c of his wealth of knowledge that most don't even pay for can't be replaced. Maybe if I was paying for his knowledge and having him fix my car I might expect more tact...

3. alkizz

alkizz Formula 3

Jun 27, 2015
    West Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Alton
    +1

Wasn't even bad, and frankly I agree.. Ferrari is pretty much the last car to have and complain or be confused about any repair bills.

4. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    You're overreacting.

His reply explained that it wasn't as simple as replacing a part, that where were modifications required, he then added a comment critiquing posters who felt a need to respond to your question even though they didn't really know the answer. There was nothing in his reply that was rude or snarky to you. In fact you were more rude than he was.

5. alkizz

alkizz Formula 3

Jun 27, 2015
    West Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Alton
    I'd rather hear it straight... maybe it's just me.

6. car doctor

car doctor Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike W
    I think it's a bit outrageous, I recently had my pass side door lock fixed, for free, that's because I fix it myself. I remove door panel and found door latch just needed to be lubed up, and that was it. What was happening, was my door latch will hang up, once unlatch it will not return, causing it totally not work. Imop two hr is plenty to do this job. Good luck

7. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    if you can't be rude on an internet forum where else can you be? don't take things so personally.

yeehawwww,
    Your internet cowboy

8. Formula1r

Formula1r Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    +1

9. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    Things can be taken out of context very easily on the forums, especially this one.

10. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    This is the reason why this type of forum has had its day. Many other types of social media give the user control of the content. Most users search for an answer on these types of forums and do not post.

Most questions have been asked before, hope your stay on this site is enjoyable

11. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I think you're both right. OP asked for input/advice and got a 'rant' from RD instead of actual help. OP reaction was a bit asymmetrical but understandable since he hasn't been here long enough to know this was just par for the course.

Like sands through the hour-glass, so are the days of Fchat...

12. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I'm with the OP all the way.

13. fahlmanb

fahlmanb Karting

May 14, 2014
    Mount Pleasant, MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Fahlman

$155/hr at Cauley - I think pretty standard for F-dealers(?)...

14. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #39 Red 27, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
    Car doctor: Different problem, his door latch broke. WD 40 will not fix it.
    He also asked to fix the passenger door which was showing premature signs of failure.

Ron: I think you are overreacting. You have a trusty mechanic yet you are asking us amateurs for a second opinion for labor pricing input into something that we have no expertise. Could I repair it myself? Probably. Has Brian done this repair before? Certainly and most likely 10-20 times.

Blackbolt: Brian C, Brian S, Tim K, Eddie B and the many other Professional Ferrari mechanics are not being paid by you or me for the FREE advice they offer here. We are not their "patients" paying customers. They do have clients that pay them to maintain and repair their cars and I am sure they all do what is needed "bedside manners" to keep their paying customers happy and that many if not most of their clients are long term and have become friends. I was lucky enough to have that type of relationship with a previous mechanic.

The internet is a great place to learn and these guys are a big help to many. I enjoy looking up on Ricambi a part # and posting a link or grabbing my owners manual to help out but these guys know how and why our cars work. They also have the ability, like a medical doctor to diagnose a problem when the car arrives at their shop. They will rarely guess at or second guess another mechanics estimate without seeing the car in their shop. I am sure a Dr. would have the same courtesy to a fellow Dr.

Not sure if any others here are forum members in their specific industry and offer free advice to people they don't know or business owners in the same industry interrupting their work day to further their businesses. I am not.

I have a feeling there are certain mechanics in his circle of friends that he would share his knowledge with to help and ask for help from them when needed.

15. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    So let me get this straight. Basically you're saying it's ok to be rude to someone online when they ask a legitimate question.

I thought it was ok to ask questions here. I've given plenty of free advice on many topics during my time here. Nobody is forcing these mechanics to be here. Leave if you can't be civil. Don't reply if you feel you need to be paid. Don't reply if you can't leave out the sarcasm.

The OPs question was not even answered in the thread that broke the camel's back so to speak by RD. Just a smart ass response. I've gotten one myself in the past when asking about oil. I don't need it. I'm calling a spade a spade. I couldn't give a crap if he's on here or not. Adios.

One more time in case no one got it. I know a mechanic who called RD with a problem and he got the same attitude. So he's even rude to his colleagues. Defend all you like. My mind will not be changed.

16. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Same discussion taking place on two threads. Threads merged.

17. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I've been wrenching my own cars for over 40 years. Just for the heck of it, I decided to make some adjustments to the passenger side door window this morning because there's a gap that is not consistent with the driver side.

To make a long story short, it only took me 20 minutes to remove the door card to expose the inner working mechanism. A few more fasteners and the door lock will be off for repair or replacement. To the original OP, I would say 1 hour maximum per door to R/R the door mechanism.

18. f430_8451

f430_8451 Karting

Apr 4, 2014
    Cali, OC
    I had just removed my door panel today to upgrade the factory speakers. The door cables do not look that hard to replace. Might as well buy some speakers and upgrade it at the same time while your fixing the door latch and cable.

19. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No, I did not say it's OK to be rude. I do not tolerate rudeness in my personal or professional life. I think I and others here are inferring that you may have interpreted his response in a different manner than we did. I hope you can see that.
    Regarding the mechanic you know that called RD, he is a colleague of RD? They work together yet RD is unwilling to help him?

20. car doctor

car doctor Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike W
    Agree

21. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    He was a smart alec when the mechanic from Florida called him. They don't work together.

This is not an isolated incident. I have observed his responses for years. I've said enough about this matter.

22. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    People like RD perpetuates the bad image of a Ferrari owner. It doesn't take a lot to select the proper tone and vocabulary to get your message across. If he responds in his Forza magazine column like he does in Ferrarichat, I'm sure it will have an impact on the magazine's subscription renewals.

23. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Time for the Duke boy mod.

24. Ron308

Ron308 Karting

May 6, 2011
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron Campbell
    Well, I raised a question about bullies on FChat. Bullies are everywhere, because they think they control. They don't! No one has to put up with a Rifledriver in their life, or anyone who thinks they are superior. My choice may be to dump FChat....think about that FChat, I paid money to be on this site.

25. Ron308

Ron308 Karting

May 6, 2011
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron Campbell
    You know, I'm not letting go if this. I've had a lot of PM's about this and all say that this blog needs to stop this negative behavior like the "Rifledriver" type bullies. People I heard from say they hesitate posting question because they get rude responses. The "Rifledriver" types are the scourge of this planet with their horrible, bully attitudes. Of course no one has heard from "Rifledriver"....guess he is hiding under his desk and could care less!