For Sale - 1948 Willys M38 | FerrariChat

For Sale 1948 Willys M38

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Mang, Dec 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #1 Mang, Dec 5, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    Military Jeep…Identical to the CJ2A civilian Jeep except the battery is accessed on the cowl, instead of under the hood, the two horizontal dimples on the passenger side under the door where an axe and a shovel were mounted, and the ‘full floating’ rear differential.

The 225 Buick ‘odd fire’ V6 has less than 5,000 miles on a complete rebuild. It has an Offenhauser highrise with a mini Holley four barrel with electronic choke. Chrome fender well headers.

All the following also less than 5k miles…

new brake and clutch master cylinder
    4 new wheel cylinders
    Bestop soft top and doors
    Gauges and electronic ignition
    Ididit tilt steering column/steering linkage and power steering box
    Painless Jeep-specific wiring harness
    Electric fan and controller
    LED daytime running lights and night blasters…just rerouted into late model front bumper
    Optima battery with on-board maintenance charger
    Rebuilt t-90 transmission with Warn overdrive

What I know about the approximate past ‘20’ or so years. 2 owners ago this rig was restored - paint, many expensive stainless and chrome parts, basic execution of a no expense spared resto-mod. Owner was in San Diego. He put it all together but didn’t get all systems running smooth and he sold it to a sharp builder in Vancouver BC who engineered system by system and got this build functioning like a modern car. He built it for his wife and ‘didn’t want her breaking down’. She wanted something modern/faster and I acquired it after they got it sorted over a few years ownership. That was 2012. In my 10 years with it, I’ve enjoyed the hell out of it. I changed a few things, tires and wheels, some mostly cosmetic upgrades and mods.

In my humble opinion it is pretty much finished and complete but always there are personal changes and mods a new owner may want to execute. You can take this rig to the finest restaurants with your bestie, or run off road anywhere. It’s a hoot and easy to drive, shift, steer, brake, etc. like a modern car, unbelievable that it is 74 years old. It’s comfortable and beautiful inside, has a vintage Toyota Land Cruiser heater, stereo, and seats 4 comfortably. There is a full lock box under the rear seat as well. You will always be a welcome guest at any Jeep gathering, it gets a ton of props in that arena.

With Icon’s costing multiple 6 figures and Broncos gaining, this build represents an opportunity to run with something different and right up there on the ‘shizzle’ meter. Important to consider is that with a top speed fairly around 55-60, it obviously needs consideration for any regular freeway speed driving. I live in Lake Tahoe and have taken it to Reno and seen travel on 395 with speed limits of 65, and hang in the slow lane!

MOST of my travel is 45 and under speed limits so she shines around here. I’ve put less than 3,000 miles on it in 10 years and it shows like it.

It’s super easy to utilize the 4 wheel drive capabilities and it’s a very impressive performer.

…finally, it has an ‘aaaaaooooooggggggaaaaa’ horn

Ask is $44k It’s one of a kind and has between myself and the previous 2 builders, enough hours that it would cost a ton more to recreate. It’s dialed in and tuned/operating flawlessly. I have had mechanical work and tune up by Folbecks - the go to place for serious four wheelers in this region. They thoroughly enjoy working on this whenever I’ve showed up.

I’m 6’1” and easy to enter and comfortable and roomy, but I would caution anyone 6’3” or taller, probably tight. It has a full nicely finished full roll cage, that is what would limit room for lanky 6’4” NBA ballers. Most of us ok

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 3247646 View attachment 3247647 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  4. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Don’t forget you can drop the top and tilt and fold that windshield flat against the hood for an exceptionally fun summer/beach style with true wind in your face driving.

the plug hanging below the dash is the onboard battery trickle charger. Just run a cord to it and you are on a battery tender.

5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #7 Mang, Dec 5, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    I would also accept ONE BITCOIN as payment in full. For one week only, offer expires Sunday, December 12, 2021 @ 7:30pm pacific time.
    :cool:

…sorry if that move crashes the market tomorrow :D

6. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #8 Mang, Dec 9, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2021

Attached Files:

7. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Very nice rig Mang.

Mang and 19633500GT like this.
  8. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #10 Mang, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    I’m a motivated seller for this and my silver Alfa, both. If any interest, let’s discuss. Ask reduced to $35k, thanks

smokin deal for both! Sell those lousy stocks and crypto and invest in FUN with these :)

jimshadow likes this.
  9. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is awesome

Mang likes this.
  10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Cool little ride. Lots of levers.

Mang likes this.
  11. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #13 Mang, Feb 25, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    thanks, ya 4 levers

Looks chaotic, but actually very ez to use. Main 3spd…2/4wd…hi/lo…and extra is Warn overdrive, so 6 forward speeds. I only ever engage the overdrive for top speed when I need to freeway drive it. MOST of the time it’s 2wd, high gear and no overdrive as I take it out in only perfect conditions. The photo shows the 4 way hand stitched one piece sleeve a craftsman made for the shifters. Some nice details.

Power steering, tilt wheel, overdrive, heater, stereo, blaster driving lights, modern turn signals, horn, mirrors, snug fit besttop, etc. electrics make this a very ‘normal’ modern like car. Definitely can be used as a daily. Not recommended for long freeway driving, but not allergic to highways.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jdubbya likes this.
  12. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Price drop $33k

13. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    NürScud likes this.
  14. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This is one cool toy. Such a great restoration on it

Mang likes this.
  15. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    this actually did age well. It’s not too late, spring/summer is here.

…again, sell those lousy stocks and crypto and buy fun useable assets like Willys jeeps or vintage Alfa Romeo Spiders. I’m already deep into another vintage Jeep CJ5 build, so I’ll be ok. And the prices on these cars have been lowered since this post.

Island Time likes this.
  16. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Price drop $29k

17. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed