1957 Maserati 3500 GT? | FerrariChat

1957 Maserati 3500 GT?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by rob lay, Nov 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I love this car, can't believe they are so cheap. What can you tell me about them (rarity, market value, etc.)

How about the following car as a vintage racer. This one says it has a VSCCA log book, would it qualify for all vintage racing? I don't see a roll cage, maybe that's a roll hoop in the back?

http://www.rpmvt.com/ForSale2.html

Thanks,
    rob

2. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Maserati 3500s were always a tough sell. They never developed the following that other cars did and worst of all have English electrics and instruments. I would do some market research before laying out that kind of money for the car. The shop is operated by Peter Markowski, who is a long time Ferrari mechanic. I can try some folks up here, if you'd like, and get more history on the car. I can even do a PPI for you if you'd like.

3. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I dreamt about one for months. Then I drove one. It did not have the sound, it did not have the handling, it did not have a sumptous interior. They do have some presence, but almost look like an older Thunderbird...
    If I were in the market for a vintage Maserati, it would be the Ghibli. They are still reasonably priced, look good, parts avalability is OK, and you will not loose your shirt.

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    The big design aspect of the Ghibli I dislike is the singe dual exhaust angled to the side. Were there any made with a quad pipe arrangment?

5. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    I very much like the classic Touring looks of this model and I think they are still underrated. Compared with Ferrari they were more a grand tourer, something that still lives on to this present day. A nice example was recently for sale at the Heritage shop:
    http://www.heritageclassics.com/maserati/61sil3500gt/Page.html

6. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Love the looks of the 3500. Timeless beauty which seems to be going up in price of late, just judging from the ask prices of late.

7. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    I considered buying a beautiful 3500 GT in silver I saw at a local dealer. Didn´t go any further as I am completely addicted to convertibles and buying a coupé doesn´t make much sense for me. The information I gathered was this: At that time the Maseratis were basically kit cars with components from a variety of other suppliers (to begin with the body work came from Touring ...). Some parts of the suspension came from Jaguar and so on ...
    Allegedly this is a strong point of the car as parts availability is relatively good (in relation to the number of cars produced) and maintanance cheap.

8. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Very beautiful.

Although quite expensive.

Here in Germany we have a company called Classic Data which gives a good orientation regarding market values for classical automobiles. They rank the condition of the car from 1 to 5:

1 - better than new
    2 - excellent condition - like new
    3 - good condition, only minor flaws
    4 - needs some work before it can be driven againg
    5 - restauration object

They state a price of approx. 25.000 EUR for a "3" (most cars will fall into this category) and of approx. 35.000 EUR for a "2".

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Corvette 6 sp?