1958 Ferrari 250 ‘Pontoon Fender’ Testa Rossa, serial number 0738 TR | FerrariChat

1958 Ferrari 250 ‘Pontoon Fender’ Testa Rossa, serial number 0738 TR

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by McQueen908Porsche, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. McQueen908Porsche

BANNED

Jul 20, 2008
    1958 Ferrari 250 ‘Pontoon Fender’ Testa Rossa serial number 0738 TR.

Hello, does anyone out there have any early period pictures of the "replica" Ferrari 0738 TR? Also does anyone have any info on this TR's "real" history? The 0738 owner is claiming that the car has "parts" of the original chassis (mainly the real chassis, etc.). I don't think so, buyer beware.

Thanks for any info.

RD

2. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    In general I try to take a non-confrontational approach to the occasional inappropriate, unsubstantiated posts that show up now and then on this site... This will not be one of those occasions.

I was not exactly sure what rock you crawled out from under so I took a moment to see who you might be and what your previous back ground posting was on this site.

Your sole other post, hence your id name was on Steve's 908.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=137881752#post137881752

$6M??? You were only off by just a bit on that one! Hope your not a gambler.

Fresh from your expert call on the 908, you have decided three years later to inflict your 2nd bit of wisdom for the esteemed members of this group on the 250TR that is less than a week away from be auctioned off by RM in Monterey.

Simply put, never in the history of the world has any one single post been more far off the marque than yours. "Replica" implies construction without original content or construction to original specifications, measure or means in a timely manner as that which it attempts to copy.

Trust me on this one... I spent the better part of 20 years inspecting, measuring, researching, buying, playing, racing, trading any and every 250 TR I could get near. I worked tirelessly with Chris Nixon, John Godfrey and Godfrey Eaton attempting to truly understand each of the sets of 20 components and eventual 18 examples completed by Ferrari that are identified today as a "250TR."

Over the years I have traveled the world and I have met with, totally annoyed, bargained, battered and begged each of the owners of these 18 examples to gain access to these machines. I eventually bought several of these machines and later sold them onto various clients. I have also raced them and used them on a regular basis on the street.

This included 0738/TR!

Therefore with ample personal and direct knowledge, I say, how dare you make such a half !@#$% statement regarding this machine? Did you even attempt in anyway to do any amount of direct research before vomiting your preconceived notions of what this machine is and remains to this day?

If you were merely curious about the who, what, when and where, you would have received a fantastic amount of information, support and assistance from the various members of this site.

Instead, for someone know reason, you have implied that the current owner has done something to conceal the real history of this car. That it does not have it's original chassis and that perspective buyer's should "beware."

Unflush your head, get a clue and grow up you complete and total piece of trash!

All 18 of the 18 client 250TRs built by Ferrari survive to this day. More than a few have some issues due to the fact that all but one had the living crap raced out of them and continued to do so long after they should have been quietly retired or chucked onto a scrap pile.

Only one of the 18 has some frame issues. Many, lost their engines in period but fortunately Ferrari provided plenty of "in-period" replacement engines along with a slew of rear-axles and gear boxes. Quite a few were given new bodies in period... more many years later as was 0738/TR.

As regards 0738/TR, this car was rebodied in-period and continued to race with a new "Berlinetta" body. It later was used as a sports or sporting car by the Brazilian family that owned it. When purchased by Colin in Brazil, except for the period Italian coupe body, it was essentially as built by Ferrari from day one and aggressively raced by its subsequent Brazilian owners.

The UK based restoration that saw a period correct replacement Scaglietti body that was fitted only to bring the car back to its original, "as-delivered" configuration.

Not one of the previous owners or the current owner has ever shied away from any of this. I first inspected this TR in the mid-1990s. A few years later we acquired it. I photo documented the car's intimate details as they were so well preserved and so period correct, that I knew in the future, this would be a way to document and provide evidence and information to future enthusiasts about how these cars were originally constructed.

My original photo records and notes for 0738/TR have now been used to assist in the restoration of two other examples as well as to correct several other examples that were previously restored incorrectly.

Obviously the main components excepting the body, where dead original. Engine, gearbox, steering box, radiator, oil-cooler, gauges, generator, rear axle, fuel tank ect... were all as delivered by Ferrari. It was the small detail items such as the wiring harness, voltage regulator, fuze panel that really blew me away as each was carefully serviced, maintained and repaired but never replaced.

As for the frame itself, this car was raced longer than just about any other client 250TR. Miraculously it never had a significant on-track altercation. Today the frame remains spot-on correct, straight as an arrow and without defect or issue whatsoever!

The current owner has done what few current owners of these machines do. He has raced the car without regard for anything except being competitive and winning. He has done so for more than ten years and in that time, he has both won, lost, damaged and repaired this car always so that it was ready and competitive for the next race as well as the car's next custodian.

Some have called him reckless and a danger on the track. Others have said the car belongs in a museum and should not be pushed so hard. I have raced against the owner many times and he is both aggressive as well as incredibly skilled at extracting all that the car will give him.

How the car has been cared for, raced and maintained by the current owner is up for any manner of discussion or ridicule. How the next custodian will care for, preserve, run, race or show the car is also up for any manner of discussion.

What is not Sir, is the original nature of the car or the history of this machine from the moment built until today.

I am Bill Noon,

my direct phone number is 619 840 7811

I work at Symbolic Motor Car Company in La Jolla, California.

My direct email address is [email protected]

You are welcome to call me, email me or visit with me at anytime that is convenient to you and I will gladly share my public comments posted here in a far more detailed way with you privately!

3. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Care to elaborate why? Aside from the replacement body the documentation on this one indicates full originality.

4. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Every cast component in alloy or bakealite that has a date code has one that is within a few months of the car's completion. Every component that has a silked-on date code also matches the completion time-frame of the car.

Every cast component, engine, gearbox, rear axle assembly that has a numero interno matches Ferrari's original assembly records.

All of the connectors, wiring brackets, fittings, fasteners etc... are the correct type as is the original asbestos wiring loom and cloth wraps on the electrical runs.

The small detail items that are so easily lost, replaced and modified are not and that speaks volumes about the care and preservation the car has been given by each former owner, the restorer and current custodian.

I wish all of these cars had such long, lengthy and interesting lives, yet somehow remained as faithful and original as they do on 0738/TR.

Cheers,

Bill

5. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I too see an intentional attempt to temporarily damage the reputation of this car.

Best wishes, Kare

6. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
  7. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Helluva good post, Bill...

Excellent.

Mike

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #10 Napolis, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
    A lot of thing happen to race cars over the years.

IMO as long as there is full disclosure and potential buyers do primary research all is good.

In this case of this particular car tons of information has been available for many years.

I agree with others that the sudden posting of "Buyer Beware" in this case is silly and suspect.

Buyers should always be aware but the statement that in this case there is any hidden/non disclosed information so far as I know is not true.

If there is Post it, but I suspect "908" won't and agree with Kare.

10. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    #11 Ney, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
    July 2008 Troll Human McQueen908Porsche - Not Subscribed.

Hello, does anyone out there have any early period pictures of the "troll" Human McQueen908Porsche - Not Subscribed? Also does anyone have any info on this poster's "real" history? The poster is claiming that he has "parts" of the original human (mainly the real a**, etc.). I don't think so, reader beware. Clearly, the bomb throwing lack of conscience is a clear indication of troll status and unless public accusations are substantiated, should be subject to a long term ban.

Thanks for any info.

Perhaps, someone with an axe to grind with the auction houses?

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=101499

11. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
  12. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Bill, If this person ever decides to show up a Symbolic you should sell tickets. You would make enough to buy back your favorate Ferrari of the past[which is ???????] just one man's opinion tongascrew

13. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    Correct... I think I need glasses now.

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    We both do.

Best!

15. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

0758 is an entirely different story! interesting enough in its own right but for another thread!! :)

16. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    #17 GIOTTO, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Bill, I think a warranted outburst of frustration, which nonetheless was tempered by many fantastic insights and facts. Thanks for that - I've learnt a lot about 0738TR as well as generic info about TR's. We are much blessed by having such knowledge shared publicly.

ATB.

Onno

18. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    0754 has been in worse condition than that, by a long shot. On more than one occasion.

19. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    This is the incident with Bart R's (also an F-chatter BTW) 250 SWB, is it not? It was on the National Geographic documentary on the Shell Historic Ferrari Challenge. Excellent piece of film.

Onno

20. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Ahh the Coda Tronca body.

21. theowinstone

theowinstone Karting

May 27, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Theodore Winstone
    LOL :)

22. McQueen908Porsche

BANNED

Jul 20, 2008
    "In general I try to take a non-confrontational approach to the occasional inappropriate, unsubstantiated posts that show up now and then on this site... This will not be one of those occasions."

Mr.Noon,

Are you stating that 0738 has a "replica TR re-body", but, not a replacement chassis frame (hah...OK)?

Buyer beware, do your homework on the "so called" claimed 0738 TR "true" chassis history. That, BTW, you will not find any 0738 past history in any books, anywhere, from the 60s, 70s, or even the early 80s period. And this replica 250-TR is price at $10,000,000.00 "+" why (HAH!)??

23. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    I am in utter and complete shock you would be stupid enough to even post such nonsense!

Three posts in two years and each one of them more pathetic than the last. That my friend has got to be record. How proud you parents must be.

Never did I ever think I would find myself asking this but Rob, this clown needs a vacation.

Bill

24. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    McQueen 908,

I suggest you start posting evidence or, at a minimum, well reasoned arguments instead of sweeping inuendos.

Jeff