1959 MGA 1500 Price Check | FerrariChat

1959 MGA 1500 Price Check

Discussion in 'British' started by Texas Forever, Jul 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    How much do you think a 1959 MGA 1500 in fair condition is worth? The car has been sitting outside in the Florida rain and humidity for over a year. I don't believe it runs. Hagerty says $8,500. What do you think?

2. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Fixed it for you.
    Need pictures. Without pics I can say find a better example to start with. $5K max?

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Can I ask two dumb questions? One, how hard is it to fix frame rust? Do you have to go to a full body off? Once done, can the frame be chemically treated to prevent future rust?

Two, will I be dealing with the Prince of Darkness here? When I was younger and stupider, I used to work on old Triumph motorcycles. The first move was to retrofit an electronic ignition and to redo all the connections with improved hardware and cover in magic flux. Does that apply here?

And third (I know I said two) are there shops I can ship the engine and tranny to for a rebuild? I’d rather avoid that learning curve.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Depends on your skill level for rust repair. I wouldn't trust it to shop, I'd have to do it myself. If the frame is rusted, then so are the brake lines. The MGA frame is pretty substantial (thick and heavy). There are plenty of non-rusted cars out there so I would choose a better one to start with.
    The prince of darkness is bull. Once sorted (remove all the previous owners additions and hack work) they are very reliable.
    There are a couple of reliable mechanics you can send your engine and trans to.
    A couple of decent MGA's showed up on Fleabay this morning that look pretty easy to fix.....

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You don't care for retrofitting electronic ignition?

6. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Nope. Nothing wrong with points and condenser. Works well, reliable, and was designed for it. Of course many will argue.....

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I dunno. It sure seems to help old Brit POS motorcycles start better, and run smoother. Apparently, the Brits skipped metallurgy class. I have seen a lot of bikes where the points cam wallered out the casing to the point there was no way you could get the points to stay right. They also didn't understand when you put two metals together they tend to fuse together. For example, zinc throttle slides and zinc slide bodies. Having the throttle stick at WFT is interesting. :rolleyes:

8. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Well, if the shaft bushings are shot, then yes, you will get an inconsistent dwell and subsequent poor performance. So is a cap discharge going to change that? Need to get to the root of the problem.
    Dissimilar metals will always be with us. Anything worth keeping in tune and running will require maintenance. I don't see ad CD system helping much on a car (or bike) which you are going to tinker with anyway as a solution. It is only a band aid, and really doesn't boost performance enough to justify the cost and hassle IMHO.

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#9 dm_n_stuff, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    MGA isn't the most watertight vehicle on the planet. So if it's been outside for a YEAR, interior is a bust too. New top, new interior, maybe new floors, now add a rusty frame and you got yourself quite a project.

Paint? Motor and trans as well if it's not running.

I can tell you a guy to ship it to and get it back in a year or so in good to go condition, assuming he has a spot in his shop for it. Really good brit car guy.

Good news? Parts are cheap (relative to what we're used to) and plentiful. Moss Motors and Victoria British should have everything you'd ever need, and I know a yard in delaware that always has a couple that they're busting up for parts.

But how much is it worth? Really depends on what's wrong with it. Could be good for scrap, then it's a couple grand maybe? But if it's a set of spark plugs and some WD40 away from starting, then joe is on target at $5k or less.

D

Texas Forever and GT4 Joe like this.
  10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    This is the same car I mentioned a while back. It is sitting in the driveway of my mother's neighbor in Florida. Drives me crazy to see the car sit like that.This visit I asked the guy if he wanted to sell, and he said yes. Frankly, I'm hoping he wants a million for it. I don't need another project right now.

11. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

buy it cheap, offer a couple grand, with the proviso that if it turns out to be a basket case, you own him nothing.

Ship it to my guy in PA, let him work it over.

Or, send me pix and I'll do it. :D

D

12. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops

Is your guy Alan in PA?

Dale. Afraid of some hard work???? Lolol JKKKKK
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever and wax like this.
  13. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

No, my guy is Ralph in the Malvern/Paoli area, suburban Philly.

cloverleaf auto.

D

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    dm_n_stuff likes this.