1968 365 GT 2+2 transmission gearbox oil change | FerrariChat

1968 365 GT 2+2 transmission gearbox oil change

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by zarama, May 15, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zarama

zarama Rookie

Feb 3, 2009
    Hello everyone,

Picked up the car a month or so ago and still getting familiar with it. Did an oil change on it and also decided to tackle the transmission fluid. Was hoping someone could confirm the correct amount of fluid for it. I had read in one place it was 0.6 gal or roughly 2.8L but I wanted some confirmation. All the other transmission fluid changes I've done on modern cars are filled until they overflow the fill hole.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #2 miurasv, May 15, 2022
    Last edited: May 15, 2022
    According to the Owners' Manual here the gearbox oil capacity is 5 litres/1.1 imp. gallons of Shell Spirax EP 90.

Bowzer likes this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    normaly the plug you remove to fill in the gearbox oil is also the level for the oil inside. but when you fill in wait a little before you close this plug. the oil has to go everywhere in the gearbox and is not fluid as water

4. zarama

zarama Rookie

Feb 3, 2009
    Perfect, thanks Soo much for that link. Also answers many other questions I had.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

5. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Jumprun and Bryanp like this.
  6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #6 miurasv, May 16, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022
    The 365 GT 2+2 has a front mounted gearbox connected to the engine, whereas the 330/365 GTC have rear mounted transaxles. Not saying that Red Line Synthetic MT90 will not be of benefit to the 365 GT 2+2, as it says on the bottle it's suitable for manual transmissions and transaxles.

The recommended oil in the Owner's Manual here for the 330/365 GTC was Shell S 6721 A, which according to @DWR46 in his post here, who researched these oils, was Spirax EP 90 with a limited slip additive mixed in.

Bowzer likes this.