1973 Dino GTS 05794 on BAT (9/21/21) | FerrariChat

1973 Dino GTS 05794 on BAT (9/21/21)

Discussion in '206/246' started by tx246, Sep 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
  2. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Nice car. To me it is sad to see these rare vehicles sold on such a platform as BAT, even the name is - demeaning....

3. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I have been watching bring a trailer for so many years it is silly. Back in the day it was mainly postings of crap found on craigslist and other places that you literally would have to bring a trailer and haul some thing away

4. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    "Charles Betz personally owned and used Dino." Actually, at the time he told me he was buying it for his wife, although I don't doubt that he too must've driven it.

5. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    $475,000 Bid with 6 days to go.

Looks like the right platform to me. Gorgeous car.

UroTrash and pshoejberg like this.
  6. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    $485K.

One day left.

7. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    This is going to be exciting!

8. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    Looking forward to watching...

9. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Only slotted screws in the dino!

10. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    BaT has been a huge disrupter in the classic car auction scene. It has forced the traditional auction houses to rethink their process. BaT allows a buyer to read comments and ask questions from many knowledgeable marque enthusiasts and the seller. The seller, the bidder and the enthusiast share data and info that ultimately helps a potential buyer and also educates the community. It also allows multiple potential bidders time to make a final bid. Many bad cars have been exposed as well as elevating great cars.

LARRYH and DinoLasse like this.
  11. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    $630,000.00
    Must be a Record for a non C and F car

12. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I don't really follow Dino pricing, although maybe I should now! I'm certainly not complaining in any way, shape or form, but can someone provide insight on why it sold for so much, being a US market, non C/F car? The low miles? Special provenance? Or just what prices are now?

13. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    I'll leave it to those who know more about auctions, private sales and market trends to give you a comprehensive answer - but, here are a couple of observations: 1) most of the cars with issues have been sold over the past year or so - this particular car showed no issues and the photography left little to the imagination; and 2) it took two bidders to reach that number and, in this case, probably 2 pretty well informed bidders. Without being a special or unique, it's a beautiful, no excuses, example of what these cars are.

14. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Fantastic result!

Would anyone venture a guess on what a non C/F gts with original paint, interior and bumpers (unlike this car), in platinum concours condition, might go for? Just curious.

Also, how much did the Massini report add to the value? And how much would a Massini report cost for a car like this Dino.

Thank you.

15. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Hmmmm…..

Seems like we might see a basket case Dino for sale reflecting this auction in the next little bit?

16. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I have yet to see an original paint car that I would say looked amazing. They are what they are and are unique historical pieces, but it is not for the average collector. It would have to be something truly unique to remain that way.

As for the Masini report, he posts here often and you can contact him direct about a price. I have bought from him before and he is always very fair and reasonable. I think such a report adds credence to historical claims, but history is what it is. Marcel loves Dino’s and he has a special place for them in his heart

17. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    big money.... !!!!

18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Already out.....

19. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Maybe folks are just starting realizing what a wonderful car the little Dino is and how few are around. One of the most beautiful, simple and well driven cars ever made if you ask me and with an amazing history. But then again I might be a bit biased but I honestly believe the collector potential is far from fulfilled. Maybe condition is less of an issue now when prices seems to be on the rise. Gullwing has a Marcel blessed Dino for sale that can be bought for a reasonable sum of money compared to the car above, but it needs a little TLC.

Best, Peter

20. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    $630.

We seem to be entering new territory.

21. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    See my thread that started earlier this year, this has been building slowly for many months….

I expected more input from others, and they later chose to not post. Not sure the ultimate reason. There have been lots of stuff under the Radar.

This price was higher than I expected, but not unexpected.

I took a look at this Dino over a month ago. I knew it had an awesome background and would bring out buyers. Not that I am that smart, but sometimes you know.

Shawn

22. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    this is stupid.
    i saw that car a month ago at DS, and they were ready to offer it for less than 400......

IF this is not just a one off, and is (as some here are implying) a new legitimate price level for dinos.....then everything else needs to be recalibrated.

daytonas, 512's, etc.

23. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Ross,

You are not correct on the price.

No comment on recalibration, that is another entirely different conversation.

I have said for a very long time, and this does not mean I am right by any degree because the years would prove me wrong, but I would rather have a Dino over a Daytona any day of the week. That statement is still true today as much as it was 20 years ago when I made it.

I can also honestly say that I know more Dino owners now that have owned a Daytona in the past than I do Daytona owners that used to own a Dino. Definitely different times.

512’s are a completely different topic.

Shawn

24. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I am a DINO owner and have been for the last maybe 10 years.. I do not think this one sale makes a market. …I think this car was photographed very well and the colors are very appealing…and it had all the right paperwork but in the end all it takes is 2 people that really want the car……
    And to the Daytona I would rather have my Dino then a Daytona…

25. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #25 ross, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    i am not against dino's.
    they are lovely cars.
    i just think this price level for this car in particular, is an anomaly.

for example shawn, your car is in fantastic condition, in beautiful colors, and a nice story. your car is likely a 1- (in SCM parlance), whereas this car was at best a 2, and more likely a 2-.

and yes, Jose indicated the price would be around $400k to both me and another local Ferrari enthusiast who is actively looking to buy one - which is why we were there to see this and the other one he had at the time.
    perhaps once they dug into it a bit more during the rehab he might have gotten more ambitious on the price.
    but at that time (which i now remember to be june 22, so my first statement about the date was incorrect - sorry i am getting old!), thats what he told us.

375+ likes this.