1975 308GT4 #10636 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1975 308GT4 #10636

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Jay GT4, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    after...cleaned up and replated/painted...

2. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    This turned out beautiful...e-brake pulley assembly

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The parts look great jay, Ill trade you, it will save me alot of man hours. I think you should sit in the back seeing as you are the little bald man (minime ring a bell?) and I can drive. hehehe.

4. AlfaGreg

AlfaGreg Karting

Dec 28, 2003
    Saint John, NB Can
    Full Name:
    Greg Gormley
    Jay

I do have family in Toronto living in Newmarket. I haven't been up in a few years, but the chance of seeing your restoration sure sweetens the pot.

I would be interested to know what the availability of GT4's is in the Toronto area and what the market seems to be like at this time. I would consider something as far as Toronto. or the New England area for a buying radius. With the dollar so good now vs the US, I have begun to take a closer look at making the plunge.

Any comments links or leads would be appreciated.

5. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Greg, there are actually quite a few GT4's in the Toronto area and we tend to make up a very enthusiastic part of the club. Because GT4 owners tend to be lower on the Ferrari scale (and economic scale) :) we tend to really appreciate owning these cars. GT4's can be had for between $20-35K Canadian, although I paid considerably less for mine because of the condition. I think around $30 will get you a decent driver. I've seen GT4's on ebay going for around $20K US but then you don't really know what you are getting.

The GT4 is a great entry level Ferrari and I've only heard good things about it from those who have owned them. Some in the club who now own 550's and 360's always tell me that they loved the GT4 they used to own. As far as repair costs, it will be the same as fixing and maintaining the 308 GTB/GTS. They are virtually identidcal under the skin using the same engine, suspension, carbs ect. I can't wait to drive mine for the first time.

6. AlfaGreg

AlfaGreg Karting

Dec 28, 2003
    Saint John, NB Can
    Full Name:
    Greg Gormley
    Jay

I have always kept a figure of 20-25K US or 30K Can in my head as my budget number and to get the best car as I can afford for that. Of course, it would be nice to get something mint, but part of the hobby I enjoy is working on the car and improving it much like you have. This is what I have done with the Alfa.

It is rare for me to come across a GT4 for sale in Canada. Mostly Ebay as you mentioned. I have a good friend in Mass. that is an excellent mechanic and 308 owner who is/would be invaluable as a resource, esp in the event of a PPI. Plus he lives in near an active Ferrari center, namely Boston/Conneticut area. So my searches have always been mostly stateside.

It would be interesting to know where the GT4's on this list were purchased and if any are actively for sale. Perhaps this is not the forum for such info but it seems like a good place to start judging by the combined lnowledge of the owners here.

7. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    AlfaGreg, to give you some idea, here on the West Coast, I know of 3 (or possibly 4):

• 1977, Bordeaux-Boxer/Black, that's in Calgary.
    • 197_, Black/Red in B.C. (I can't remember his name, but races an Alfa GTAm regularily at the Knox Mtn. Hillclimb in Kelowna).
    • 1975, Metallic Green/Tan (this is the one I'm not sure if its around anymore. Was up for sale in Vancouver for a short time. Asking $45K Cdn... I never saw it so can't say if it was worth that).
    • Mine, which I bought here, in Vancouver (was a local car since the early '90's).

In my registry (The Dino GT4 Registry), I have only a few GT4's in Canada accounted for so far.

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Ooops, I forgot, there was another one, a '75 Red/Black, that was for sale a few years ago at Siyam Motors in Vancouver, but I think its in the U.S. now.

9. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

Today we started the car for the first time! It sounds great! Even though the tips on the exhaust are not installed and the timming and carbs haven't been set. I can't wait to drive this baby!

Here are some pics...

10. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
  11. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    fuel lines done...

12. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Holy smokes! Congrats!!!

13. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    YOu may end up having one of the nicest GT4's around. Congrats.

Can't wait to see the total package...

14. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Congrats!! She's a beauty.

Dom

15. AlfaGreg

AlfaGreg Karting

Dec 28, 2003
    Saint John, NB Can
    Full Name:
    Greg Gormley
    Jay

Worth the plane fare from the far eastern reaches of this fine country to see the progress first hand. I think you don't need to be told to enjoy yourself!!

Greg

16. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Thanks guys. Here is a half finished custom exhaust, once it's all tacked in and fitted it will be taken down and painted black with Ansa tips.

17. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    What brand?

18. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Don't know, it's all custom and I'm not sure which muffler they actually used, but it sounds great!

19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    When all is said and done - post a Before and After pic of the total package. Well-earned kudos.

20. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Thanks, But I have over 1000 pics of what has been done to my car, I don't think Rob would like me eating up his bandwith like that :)

21. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I asked because it looks very similar and is about the same size as the Borla on my car. If so, I can attest to the sounds great comment!

22. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    JAy,
    Just viewed your detail. Great job, looks beautiful !! Im also in the Toronto area with a TR. Im actually north of Steeles, but in the GTA area. Let me know when the car is done, would love to see it, and hear it. I put a borla on my TR 3 yrs ago with no cats, and feels and sounds strong.Congrats on this beauti, enjoy it in good health my friend.

23. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I'm in Scarborough by the Zoo. If you've ever been to Rock's Auto down on Gerrard, that's were my car is. Pass by for an espresso.

24. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Ive just learned of Rocks auto, talked to Rocco just before xmas for the first time. I will drop by in the coming weeks once this snow melts abit. Would love to see it, is he doing most of the work?

25. larry

larry Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    beautiful!!! this is amazing!!!