1975 308GT4 #10636 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

1975 308GT4 #10636

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Jay GT4, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    He's doing all the stuff I can't. He put the engine in, double checking everything to make sure it's tight and torqued, adjusting carbs etc.

2. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Jay, by the time mine is back from the body shop in about 3 weeks, you and I will duke it out for the finest GT4 here :) I am going to post alot of pics.

3. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    You'd win...my interior needs work! The back seats are really bad, some dumby took out the original to have it redone and they did a horrible job on it. I've done the dash, glovebox, door panels and center console over but the seats are just too much money right now.

Here is a pic of the new center console with the radio hole covered over and rear ashtray covered over (don't have an original radio and am missing an ashtray so this works out nicely until I can source them).

4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Started on the headlights. I'm doing one at a time so that I have a reference to look at. Added new diodes to the motor to stop the uncontrolable up and down of the headlights.

5. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Trying to upload pics...

6. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    wow, the headlights also? Thorough job Jay! Check out my resto pics, these are a little over one week old now.

7. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    two more...

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Jay,

Take my advice on the exhaust. SANDBLAST IT BEFORE PAINTING!!!!!! The surface you achieve from sanblasting cannot be beat for paint adhesion. I sandblasted my exhaust (cost me $20) and then painted the exhaust with the highest temperature headder paint I could buy. The secret to painting is the thinnest coat possible. If you put too much on, it will bubble and peel. I used these steps on my exhaust and it has held up perfectly. Good luck with it.

Rob

9. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Don, you've gone all out haven't you? We do these things for the love of it not the money!

Rob, I'll get Rock to give it a quick blast just before I paint it. Thanks!

10. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Jay, actually it was you who encouraged me! I am only copying you. Yes, this is a passion no doubt, not for the money. Jay, if you are looking for another exhaust on your GT4, let me know, I have an extra one laying around in very good shape. Cheap too.

My car should be done in about 6-8 more weeks judging by the progress. upholstery shop just emailed me pics of the interior work so far, two door panels completed so far, another two more weeks of work on the interior. All new rubber seals around the doors, within the doors, new door felt, door channels, this, that, the other, you name it, it will be new!

11. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Now you tell me! I just had one custom made. I tried Gerrit's old exhaust and it was too short, his is Euro though so not sure if that was a factor.

I inspired you? Wow...:)

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the interior costing you? What about carpet? I've gotta go with Wilton Wool.

12. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Got the new "borletti" A/C plate and new knob tops from an ebay seller in Australia. Looks fantastic! It is the smaller plate which predates the one on the 308 GTB/S series. This guy has done a great job. It is aluminum and not just a decal, the fit is perfect for both the plate and the "snow flake" and "fan" symbols for the knobs. Here is a pic

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Jay,

Great job! :)

If I can offer one comment regarding the doors and the seals at the bottom of the window. Firstly they are not designed to seal perfectly as that is impossible. All (modern) cars thus have drain holes in the bottom of the doors for the water to drain out, thus it is critical that you:

1. Apply the clear plastic sheeting between the door frame and the trim, otherwise the trim cardboard will take on moisture and wont last long.

2. Make sure you apply heaps of rust preventative sealer to the inside of the outer door panel. I read that you have reapplied the sound deadening stuff, and thus if you do not apply some sort of paint/sealer to it this will also hold water and cause the door panel to rust. I would recommend that you actually paint the inside of your door, and get something like Waxoil (? not sure if that is the correct name) and coat the inside of the door with a nice and thick coat.

I have watched/seen many restorations that have missed this step (including myself on an Alfa Sud restoration when in my teens) and the doors do not last long ... and then everybody scratches their heads when the bottoms of the doors start bubbling again ...

In fact with rust, it usually starts on the inside of the panel and rusts out ... because nobody ever paints the inside of the panel properly, especially panel beaters repairing an accident.

Anyway keep up the good work, I just thought I would mention that since I could not see any rust protection on the photos of the inside of your doors. I do hope you do not mind ...

Pete
    ps: No expert, but restoring an Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV ... one car that knows how to rust ... :(

14. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    PSK, I don't mind at all in fact that was in the plan. But the white car above is not mine, that's Don's. Mine is the yellow one which is not being repainted. there is no rust inside the doors, it was from Arizona and I want to keep it that way!

15. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Thanks for the hints on painting the insides of the doors, that will be done. I don't plan on doing this again for as long as I own this thing. Jay, yup, I just bought the same AC plates last week from the same guy in Aust. They look pretty good. Your interior doesn't look leather, but vinyl, it could be just the angle of the pics. Also, your'e missing the cutout for the stereo, I saw in your other pics, the rear missing ashtray. I have a new one that I would sell to you if your'e interested. They are not cheap and almost impossible to find new. Keeping the same black wilton wool original carpet. Does not need replacing so I won't spend the bucks.

16. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Don I actually didn't have the hole cut out for the radio on purpose, I want a vintage radio and I probably won't get one anytime soon, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. I also was missing the rear ashtray so I didn't have that cut out either. PM me with the price for your ashtray, if it is in the budget I may be interested. The interior is leather, it's just the flash that makes it look like that. As for the Wilton wool...that is another story. My car was redone before I bought it. It's been ripped right out and I'm sourcing wilton for it. Ferrari UK has a complete wilton wool carpet set for the GT4 cheap...unfortunately it is only available in dark brown. Brown rug with black seats and a yellow car don't match! :)

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Looks great Jay! I love looking at your pics! Do you have them all hosted somewhere or only on your computer?

Keep up the good work!

18. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    No only on my computer, about 1000 pics. Today was so nice in Toronto I rolled it out of the garage and worked on it in the driveway. Put the plate on it too!

19. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    $4,456.00 including the cost of almost 5 connolly hides. Yikes, didn't realize so many hides are needed to do a GT4. Natural tan color I might add. Original wilton wool black carpet will be left alone. I believe my car still has another month to go and my new interior should be complete by this week. Took one full month to do the interior from initial estimate of the job, to ordering the hides and installation.

20. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Hi Jay & Don,
    that australian guy you are talking about I asume is John Whiters.
    Also a registered member at www.dinogt4register.com

He has an add in the for sale section for "bertone" badges.
    I asked him to place an add for the A/C plate but he just told me he has sold the most, he only has 2 togo on eBay.

You see it is a small "gt4" world :)

Roel
    www.dinogt4register.com

21. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Yes it is John, wow, it is a small world! Amazing. My GT4 is still probably about another month away, I keep adding another month everytime I talk with the body shop. Project taking longer than thought, but I would rather have it done right the first time. Going to the California DMV (read DMV nazis) to finally get a sticker for my GT4, that way I can drive it home from the body shop proudly. This is the first year of exemption in CA. I will enjoy it while I can before/if they ever change their minds. supposed to be getting more photos emailed to me from the shop, will post them in here when I get em.

22. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Yes John is a great guy! Helped me out with a few other things too. Don do you have a spare set of wiper arms lying around? Mine are missing from the PO. Also missing the oil coolant housing. If anyone has these items let me know. Also a pair of rear inner wheel wells...:) add another month!

23. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Jay,

Carl Rose seems to have a lot of GT4 parts you may be interested in. Here is his profile: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/member.php?userid=281

Send him an e-mail. Yes I know he is in Australia but shipping is not as bad as you would think.

Rob

24. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Finally got original AMP connectors and terminals. Started on the headlight motors today. Nothing like new! The old ones were cracked, and yellow with 25 years of grease and dirt on them, they'd never get as clean as new. Tomorrow I'll move on to the window motor harnesses. I'm moving these connectors inside the car instead of leaving them in the passage way behind the hinges.

25. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    more pictures of resto job, ready to be painted next week after being blocked. Rosso Corsa is the color this will be painted in from bianco(yuck).