1975 Canon Ball Run winner | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1975 Canon Ball Run winner

Discussion in '206/246' started by RadAL, Oct 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Saw the car today, at the Winter Park Concours!

2. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This car gets around like an ageing rockstar!

3. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I was saddened to see recently on Chasing Classic Cars that Brock Yates is suffering from Alzheimer's/dementia. But, he has been aware enough of his problem to decide to have his wife, Pamela, sell several cars from his collection in the hope that others will be able to use and enjoy them as they were intended.

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #54 synchro, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't have a lift and there is only one person I know that I can call at dinner time who would work accept a Dino in his shop then work through the night to install the clutch cable;
    Ex-VRM Master Mechanic Bernd Buschen (VRM = Bruce McCaw's Vintage Racing Motors, 3rd largest Ferrari collection in the world)

Meanwhile, I drove back to my house to get the new clutch cable which I store in the living room behind the couch!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    scott was that your tv cable ? next time i can just call comcast , bet they could do the install as well ! dz

6. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    But they'll only promise to do the installation "some time between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m."! Fred

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Danny behave!
    :)
    You know that is a clutch cable, Bernd Buschen replaced yours last year!

BTW, it appears the latest cables need shimming and Bernd has the correct shim which is plated and sized to look exactly like the collar it mates against on the cable flange.

Speaking of the word "cable", which there is nothing of the sort on this, it is really more of a "V" rod.

8. gtdave

gtdave Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Sandy Springs
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    Really amazing thread. Jack and all the other Cannonballers are my heroes. I recently had the opportunity to be the co-driver in a NY to LA (Redball to Portofino) run with Ed Bolian (MrED on this site). Cheers Jack!

9. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Awesome stuff!!

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #60 synchro, Apr 22, 2014
  11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    After two starts and two failures Jack was finally on his way but a day+ behind the group. While I tried to encourage him to take a short cut along major 4/6 lane highways he would not have it, stating that he and Iris would follow the same route as the planned trip.
    Just faster to catch up...
    Which is a wild thought considering he had never been on the High Alpine passes of the Washington State and Oregon State Cascade Mountians

Knowing his stay in the Pacific Northwest was cut short and not wanting the impression to seem jaded by car events, I packed Jack and Iris set of two premium bottles of our local wine and a pair of Dino glasses.

Nice article by NY Times author on the trip
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/automobiles/collectibles/on-their-way-to-pebble-beach-driving-every-mile.html

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I kept getting txt messages from Jack for the next few days. After he departed and was in the mountains I received "today we hit 110mph" and I rolled my eyes ...

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The next day I got another text message "today we hit 120mph and she drives as solid as on the Cannonball Run"
    OMG - Jack behave!

14. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #64 synchro, Jul 13, 2014
    The Tour d'Elegance with Jack and Iris wound its way through the roads of Eastern Oregon then down to the Napa Valley wine country and on to Monterey.

I received this photo of them enjoying their gift wine glasses and Washington State Barbera - what a polite couple!

15. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Scott,

You need to get Jack to give us insight into the Cannonball experiences!

Shawn

16. jusdriveit

jusdriveit Karting

Sep 11, 2005
    I met Jack May last week in Carmel during the Monterrey Historic's.
    He has a great sense of humor and a classic personality!
    I can't imagine spending nearly 36hrs in a Dino breaking the speed limit.
    Aloha,
    Mark

17. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    It blows my mind that this actually happened, even better that it did actually happen.

18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Please consider coming to Arizona for the International FCA Meet, Nov 6-10, 2019 and meeting Cannonball Jack. If desired, I will organize a dinner or perhaps a Rally afterwards. Pietro and I can probably handle any Dino emergency, he has a lift and GT Car parts is just a few miles away.