1975 Ferrari 308 GT4 series 1 car | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1975 Ferrari 308 GT4 series 1 car

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by zman, Jul 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zman

zman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    I repaired the exhaust as it was cracked at the collectors......easy repair with tig as they are stainless exhausts. The sylinder head at exhuast ports are immaculate.....no pitting or oxidation whatsoever.
    I have taken heads off before and well know some of the egines that had challenges with and fully understand that.
    By the way.......the ones that know me out there.....I am a licensed class S and T mechanic and still retain my membership. I have been for the last 15 years a corporate engine trainer for a major US engine manufacturer so I'm quite capable of doing my own work.........the problem is not the work.....it's I don't have the money at the moment as I am paying for my 2 oldest boys University and the youngest will be going in 2 years.......Yes I will have to pay for 3 in 2 years......WOW!!!!
    I love this car but my boys are more important but I won't be just giving it away and I think most of you f chatters understand that?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I was talking about jimgolf1's post on his car.

No, I am saying you should dive in to fix it and then sell, or not.

I have had to do that, with my two 308GTBs.
    No one anywhere sees fair value in a project, and these cars values are rising with every reported sale!

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My reasons exactly match yours, for selling, except my son just graduated and my daughter has two more years. Your priorities are correct. These are just expensive Boys Toys.

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    As long as you have $200K cash on hand, you're golden!!!

5. zman

zman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    f you do a complete proper restore and most of the work is done by yourself is one ? but if you have someone else doing it is a totally different ? I have restored many cars in my youth, 32 ford 5 window coupe, 27 model T, 67 barracuda on etc. I restore to originality as back in my days if you chopped a car up it wasn't worth much but seeing the cars on Barret Jackson, all modified and not even close to original and selling for crazy prices. If I do this car it will be a total rotisserie restore. I really wanted to drive it this summer because I knew once engine comes out there is no return and I don't like doing things half assed and certainly it would become a major project (I have the skill but you need the money LOL) and if this is done total restore I would probably never sell this car unless my life depended on it. If I did you would have to mortgage your home to even try to attain it.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You need to get past that "if I go in" attitude, it will cost you $20K.

You need to read more about the glory days of early Ferrari racing, where they holed a piston in mule '57 Testa Rossa #0666. They put it up on four 55 gallon drums, as a substitute lift, dropped the oil pan, pulled and replaced the one piston, honed it with a stone, and put it back together to RACE the next day!
    :D :D :D

THAT was Italians racing for honor, a long, long way from home.

If that's good enough for a car now worth $30M +, you could do ONE side of a valve job, and be back rolling and waving at the girls!!

Food for thought.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We can rotisserie all these cars, when they get to $80K - $100K.

That ain't today....(although some owners are doing it, banking against future values..)

8. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    If you want to maximize the $$$ recouped, and minimize the hassle involved, you may be better off pulling the engine and selling the car without it as a very good condition rolling chassis. Then you can either repair the engine and sell it off separately later ---- or, even sell it blown (but with a known and confirmed diagnosis of the damage), or just part it out if you can justify taking the time.

I think you will get much more this way than trying to sell the entire car "as is". Plus, you will not have to deal with all the a-holes bothering you by offering peanuts for it.

On a further note (and this should be verified by the proper authorities), it MAY be possible to sell a "rolling chassis" (no engine) across into the States as simply ---- "used auto parts" ---- thus avoiding the whole import tax / customs hassle and expense discussed earlier...??

9. zman

zman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    5 to 10 years and wait.....this car is already 40 years old.....just my opinion as I have seen cars skyrocket in that time frame and they weren't Ferrari's and also undesirable at the time....

10. zman

zman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    just an update that I have been getting offers and it's pretty close to what I want. I have set many of you the appraisal I had done last month so please first one comes up with what I want and not a penny less and it's yours or it will stay nicely in my garage and be redone over the winter as I'm in no rush.
    I think someone already printed out on another forum what I wanted as they didn't want to buy it and just wanted to know what it will take.....thank you for keeping it private.
    OK so 25k and it's out of my garage. Need serious consideration very fast as I'm truly getting the itch to pull out the engine. Once that is done it will probably be a no sale.

11. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    As a fellow 75 owner my heartiest GLWS!

12. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    Pull it. You'll regret not having it later. It's only your time and some money. You have a big advantage over most owners.

13. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    ^ Agreed. I suspect not many (serious) people looking to buy a non-running GT4 so the discount will be steep.

14. zman

zman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Maybe I forgot to mention but all electrical in this car works.....even the instrument cluster and the green lights on both sides of the cluster which glows at night. The only thing that doesn't is the power antenna.....well it wants to go up and down as you can see it try so maybe just a nylon gear. The transmission shifts smoothly into 2nd even when cold.It up-shifts and downshifts flawlessly.
    Engine damage only contained to #5 cyl.
    Oh, when I did have her out engine ran cool and even in the 30 degree celc temp fans turned on and off when required.
    All heater and a/c fans operate and I also fixed the heater controls and all work great.
    There has been a lot to get this to where it is and is sad that I had the valve issue.
    Again I will pull it out but my issue is once I pull her out I'm anal as require everything to be correct and that will take time and money.....more time for me as I don't have her.
    If someone else is not quite to making it show car and just wants a driver then this is for you.
    Please serious offers only as I have gotten a few and very close to what I'm asking. Let's meet in between and make a deal.

15. zman

zman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    #65 zman, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    I was able to get a smaller scope and go down the carb to the affected cylinder and confirmed valve damage and only contained to one cyl. The others were not affected.So cyl #5 is the culprit. I am taking reasonable offers on the car and sent out to a few members that were interested but wanted to make sure it was only the one cyl.
    I do not have the resources, time and money, as I have other priorities at the moment like putting my 2 oldest sons to University this Sept.
    First reasonable offer takes her away.

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Have you talk to Rock at all?

He could do a valve job and get you running, or maybe take it as a joint venture and fix it to sell???

Hold firm on that $25K brother.....they aren't making any more of them!

17. zman

zman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    I could do that or just cover her up and wait until I can or just wait ten years.....Would be nice to see her back on the road and hopefully someone does take me up on it.

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    When I bought my 928 17 years ago I promised the seller first refusal if I ever sold it again. I haven't.. but if I do a promise is a promise. I hope you don't sell it and fix it.. but if you do, consider first refusal...

19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The 4 in GT/4 is for the number of camshafts, not the number of seats.

20. zman

zman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    That's correct!!

21. zman

zman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    I AM GOING TO SELL THE CAR SO THE FIRST 25K OR BEST REASONABLE OFFER WILL TAKE HER AWAY. I DON'T HAVE THE TIME AND MONEY AND WOULD LIKE TO SEE HER DONE RIGHT BY SOMEONE ELSE.

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hold on I have an email address for you, a guy from Turkey was looking at my GTBs...

23. skelly

skelly Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2011
    You don't need to shout about it. We can hear you just fine.

It's a great looking car. Best of luck with your sale.

24. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    I sold one of these in similar condition minus the broken valve for well under $20K not too long ago ...

... and I think if second gear is stiff that's an indication of low/correct use. If it goes into second gear cold I believe that means it's worn.

Having said that I can't see why it should cost $15K to fix one pot. Unless the head is damaged in which case it could be welded. I think there is a good chance that all one would have to do is take off the carbs/valve cover/ head, replace the valve and the piston/rings, maybe the liner, and put it back together. Hoses and timing belt while u were in there.

Still, I wouldn't pay more than $15K for a driver with a bad cyl.

25. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    I have to agree. I just bought one well under $20k with only 25k documented miles, a decent interior, perfect paint and a solid engine. It needs tires, full service and the usual TLC for a 39 year old car but most of them do. I'm guessing this car running is $30k(same as mine), take off the potential for non-mechanics $15k to fix the motor correctly, I think your right. If the right person just really really wants this exact car, maybe they will pay $20k.