1975 Ferrari 365 GT4 2+2 Chassis 18483 | FerrariChat

1975 Ferrari 365 GT4 2+2 Chassis 18483

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, Oct 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Just documenting these cars, as they come up...A project car no less along with a picture containing a portion of the car's history:

According to the Ferrari Serial Number Book by Raab I found the production date was 4/4/75, the dealer being in Italy named "Sportcar", the car's assembly number of 379, and a body number of 401

Cheers,

Sam

https://www.ital-spares.com/partgroup/electrical-systems-wiring/8228/ferrari-365-gt4-2-2-project-car?c=103

1975 365 GT4 2+2
    Color: (Originally) Blue Exterior with Black Interior
    Mileage: 17800 KMs
    Chassis: 18483

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #2 bjwhite, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Dino 206S called...they want their wheels back. har har.

That's actually quite a cool ad and project. Love to see the history and those old photos in the glovebox are priceless. I hope someone grabs it and finishes the restoration. I also notice a 228 sitting in front of it. Rare car....

dedo tanzi and Newman like this.
  3. Jeffrey Deitch

Nov 3, 2020
    Near Frankfurt Germany
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Deitch
    #3 Jeffrey Deitch, Nov 3, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    I’m interested in purchasing and restoring this particular vehicle. I’m located about 5 hours away from the seller’s location. I’m in contact with the seller and have received 70+ pictures.

Although I have restored numerous cars, and possess the shop, tools and skills, this would be my first prancing horse and I’m concerned about getting in over my head. I know my OCD eats up a ton of time and money.

The current owner bought the car to part out and sell, however after receiving the car, he believes it should be restored. I’m trying to calculate if the juice is worth the squeeze.

What is the estimated restored value? The required body work alone is significant, not to mention, chasing down and purchasing all of the missing bits to complete the car.

Thanks in advance for your constructive feedback to my 1st forum posting.

PS: I’ve included some additional pictures that illustrate the extent of bodywork that will be required.

4. Jeffrey Deitch

Nov 3, 2020
    Near Frankfurt Germany
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Deitch
  5. Jeffrey Deitch

Nov 3, 2020
    Near Frankfurt Germany
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Deitch
  6. Jeffrey Deitch

Nov 3, 2020
    Near Frankfurt Germany
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Deitch
  7. Jeffrey Deitch

Nov 3, 2020
    Near Frankfurt Germany
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Deitch
  8. Jeffrey Deitch

Nov 3, 2020
    Near Frankfurt Germany
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Deitch
  9. Jeffrey Deitch

Nov 3, 2020
    Near Frankfurt Germany
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Deitch
  10. Jeffrey Deitch

Nov 3, 2020
    Near Frankfurt Germany
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Deitch
  11. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Well, all the expensive bits (lights, windscreens, running engine), do seem present (if the quote about the "chrome" is correct). The original interior is still present which is a plus as the original mouse-hair dashboard is usually totally cracked. As a side note the odometer rests at 99.999km, we can imagine that this particular car crossed the limit.

Compared to other cars of that era these cars are complex and quite demanding , but they are still within reach of a talented DIYer. As a guideline keep in mind that these car are "twice more of everything": 2 bank of cylinders, 2 complete exhausts, 2 sets of carbs (6 in total), twice as many filters, independent left and right wiring harness, two tanks, double brake circuit, etc... Unfortunately this does not translate into twice as much time, but rather more in terms of labour!

1) There is obviously quite a lot of paintwork (100hrs ?)
    2) The dashboard should be removed in order to patch the covering that has shrunk (5~10hrs)
    3) Suspension bushings are likely to be shot (20hrs)
    4) Exhaust may or may not be re-usable (stainless is $4.000)
    5) All fuel hoses tank screen and fuel filter(S) should be replaced (5~10hrs)
    6) Engine will probably require a complete review as per the Owner Manual: Shim the valves, refurbish the 6 webers, replace all lubricants & filters (50hrs).
    7) Chase a few electrical gremlins (5~10hrs)
    7) Classical tires are approx $350 each, there are some cheaper alternatives though.
    8) Do you need AC?

Assuming no horror story (i.e motor and transmission do work as advertised) that's approx 200hrs of labour.

Value of the car once fixed : $70~$100.000 ?

12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Raemin,

Can I ask how you came up with the estimated price? I have not seen too many 365's for sale and so pricing is a bit of a guess. I would think that a fully restored example would be well over $100K USD and perhaps between $135K to $150K level. I think the uber restored first 365 prototype sold in 2014 for over $200K.

Also, you forgot to mention the interior. Given the car's current condition, I suspect the interior to be similar. If so, then a reasonable interior restoration using quality leather can easily range from around $13K to $20K+.

Cheers,

Sam

13. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Prices are not on the rise any more... There is a clean 365 for sale on autoscout, asking price is 95.000€, still for sale.

As far as the interior is concerned this is a Ford/Chevy debate...I prefer an original leather with patina rather than new hides. I had to refurbish my dashboard, I've made huge efforts to keep the dashboard stock but for the pinnacle I had no other choice than "new hides". This was perfectly done, but really miss the original Conolly. An old hide that has slightly shrunk does have a specific look that you cannot replicate. As far as this particular car is concerned, If you look at the provided pictures, there are no tears and cracks in the leather (mink oil and URAD would restore its former glory), the wooden console looks nice, side carpets are not glued any-more but this is a no brainer. Mousehair next to the windscreen is damaged, but could be fixed.

With 200hrs of work this car would by no means be a concourse car, but probably a nice car to drive and enjoy.

14. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
  15. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany

16. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #16 samsaprunoff, Nov 4, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    Good day Raemin,

I agree about the current market being somewhat stale and not rising. However, the Autoscout car looks to be a driver with nice shiny paint and so I would not use its asking price as a basis for a restored car. I would use it as a data point and/or reference, but if a car is restored... and one could argue what "restored" really means... then the price would most likely be larger given the added value of the restoration efforts and results. That being said if the market is volatile and /or on a steep downward trend, then it does not matter what the restoration costs were, the car's price will be what the market dictates. I personally do not believe we are at this point, as there has been some past sales of really nice cars commanding some very solid prices.

As for the interior... I fully understand and it does not have to be a Ford/Chevy debate as you put it. One has to actually physically inspect the interior in order to determine how to proceed. I say this, as on my car the leather was simply too far gone to try and preserve it. The leather was very hard, cracking (many years in Desert climate), heavily sun damaged, with extremely brittle stitching... basically each time you would sit in a seat some stitches would break. Could I have tried and make do with it and tried restoring it... perhaps, but I did not think the end result would be in keeping with the car/marque. As for the original Mousehair... once it starts "falling out" it is tough to repair it. By all means if the interior pieces, carpets, etc can be preserved, then why not? My point is that it is best to budget for the worst in order to make an assessment on whether it makes sense for one to take on a project. Hence my comment and approximate costs for the interior.

Cheers,

Sam

17. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Can someone post documented online/auction price results for 2-3 of these within the last 12-18 months? I think based on my knowledge of the market that Raemin would be more accurate in that these cars are not selling for more than six figures. But, that’s my speculation and certain someone will find one that sold for $500K?!? Listing price is far different from actual purchase price. Then, you have to factor in the vehicle’s history and condition that would affect the value of its purchase.

Ultimately, the anticipated sale price of this one which, should it be repaired (while the market having already seen in its current condition), would assist Jeff or anyone else in determining whether it’s a parts car or good project. The onus would then turn on the detail associated with the restoration and, the faith placed on the restorer’s attention to the ever so large list of items on this one... Many Ferrari people are finicky and are not always receptive to revived projects.

18. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    On my side of the Atlantic, restored often means "fully functional", whereas your guys are much more involved and considering nuts and bolts overhaul. I've seen one pristine 412 car here in France, but the condition was more related to the less than 3000km mileage than the result of an hard restoration work. I would even be tempted to say that some US F-Chaters are restoring cars with so much attention to details that the cars often end-up better made than when they left the factory. (the suspension of my father's 365 when new was not as shiny as yours...).

There are ten 365 for sale on Autoscout right now (https://www.autoscout24.fr/lst/ferrari/365?sort=standard&desc=0&ustate=N,U&size=20&page=1&atype=C&fc=7&qry=&), the most expensive one is 120.000€ all the others below 100.000€, and even as low as 69.000€ for a car in much better conditions than 18483. I would still consider that given where 18483 stands now, with 200hrs of work it will still not match some of these ~80.000€ cars. Needless to say that in order to fetch "US-resto" price levels it would require 30.000€ paint, 24.000€ engine overhaul, 15.000€ interior, etc... I am not sure one can recoup such restoration costs given what the European market is now.

18483 could be a bargain though.

19. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Raemin,

Understood, however, "fully functional" does not mean that it is well maintained and that the car does not have needs... i.e. the suspension works, but it feels and drives like a tractor... or the car runs, but feels like it is running on less than 12 cylinders. I do understand your point, but "fully functional" and "restored" are relative terms and mean different things to different people. To some a splash of paint and shine up some bits means restored, etc. My point is that if a car is sorted, has a number of things refreshed, and has no needs, etc then it would or should command a higher price than a car does not. As for originality... there is a 365 GT4 2+2 on this side of the pond that is very much original and what is marketed to be full functional for $89.5K USD (check Gullwing's inventory). It has been for sale for a few years now and I suspect will stay this way, as the car will need a fair amount of work to make it a nice driver (by what I call a nice driver). To others it may be perfectly fine as is... but so far there has been no takers.

As for your comment about your Dad's then new 365 that had less than shiney bits...well, perhaps he did not polish or detail so that these bits were shiney :). All kidding aside, the finishes on the original items are difficult to achieve unless you have access to some processes that have been curtailed in many areas for several years now (e.g. cadmium plating). The result is that the processes that are available are close to looking like the originals, but not exact. In these cases these finishes could appear brighter or shinier. In my case I do not like working with or replacing dirty mechanical parts and so I clean them first. Since refinishing these mechanical parts or fasteners using various finishing methods is somewhat inexpensive (I think I have spent less than $500 total for everything I have done), I figured why not? To me it elevates the final result, but also extends the life of the original fasteners, as now the newly applied finishes simply make rust, etc more difficult to take hold. As with most things it is up to the individual to do what they deem best.

As for this car... I think that if one is hoping to invest time, effort, and monies into this car and have a expected rate of monetary return, then I think they are taking a gamble. However, that decision is up the new owner, etc.

Cheers,

Sam

raemin likes this.
  20. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    The situation with these cars is it doesn’t work out financially to restore one. If you love the car and plan to enjoy for many years then go for it. If planning on restoring and making money you’d be better off getting a boat, airplane, or divorced.

3500 GT and OttoB like this.