1976 308 GTB wallet | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1976 308 GTB wallet

Discussion in '308/328' started by johnvwatts, Nov 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I disagree, thats why 35k cars are such, i believe you get what you pay for. I have the orignal warrenty card for my cars with the Serial number and stamped, along with every piece with the tool kit and original spare tire ( i demanded that when i was looking) so when i purchased the car came with.....but that the way i buy, not everyone is as anal as me ;). As these cars get older they become more difficult to find....therefore once gone....its gone...especially the oringinal with the stamp.

I have a friend that does have a 77 late 308 steel and he confirmed his was like mine, leather pouch as well.

Cheers !

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The warranty booklet is the most important document, IMO as it's the only one that shows the VIN....

Original Pouches as follows:

#20405 1976 production........missing!
    #22127 1977 production........brown leather
    #22641 1977 production........butterscotch leather

If any one runs across the #20405 Books/Records........well, as Bob Wills says in 'Milkcow Blues'...send them on home!

The 1976 North American 308GTB Manual (red with US flag at top) is availble but pricey, the 1977 was just an update/insert with a few pages and updated schematic..the Warranty Booklet is irreplacable as it was completed and stamped by the selling dealership, in many cases now long gone....:(

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    $5k for my BOOKS!!!!

man, I knew there was a reason I moved them to the file cabinet......LOL!

I still carry the tools though I try not to use them too much.....LOL!

Working on Vintage cars with Vintage tools..........priceless!!!!

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    F106AB*21247*....we can only assume has gone the that Great Garage in the Sky, or is tooling around without his books!!!!

The 'missing pages' really refers to the Service Procedure, they check it off, staple it to the Repair Order and stamp the remainder of the bound page....

Is that even a glass car? He seems to think so.......

VIN check please Dr. Barry ! LOL!

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Note the color of the brown leather in that picture, that's what I have with #22127.

Strangely #22641 is similar but more of a 'butterscotch' leather color......

6. johnvwatts

johnvwatts Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    England
    Full Name:
    John v watts
    After listen to you all it seems like the leather wallet is the one to go with - my car is a glass car chassis 19945.

Thanks for the input!

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Glad to help..........seems to be confusion on Dr. Barry's but all the other's are indeed leather......

Thanks for the VIN...someday, someone needs to sort out the early 308GTBs and the 'glass/metal transition period.....

8. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    #33 MS250, Nov 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You mean like this perhaps ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Right, that makes for interesting reading.

My #22641 sat unsold three years at Ron Tonkin..

My #22127 was sold new in Canada....I'll get that info and you can check it out......owner lost the car to "tax troubles"....

10. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    The CDN car was sold through Yonge steeles motors for sure. Mine came from there, its a 76 jully build date, but didnt make it here until the road in March. I think it was sold, but because of the slow boat and the 10 feet of snow back in those days (no global warming) it never got on the road until end of march. Regardless, i got me a 1 family owner car, the parents passed in 91 and the son took over the car....and guess where it is now ;)

If you want Tex i can pull out the VIN for that car here in Ontario for you (its $20 bucks CDN)...so $1,900 US dollars for you :D Can you verify if its an Ontario car then ? If so, you could see the ownership until it left Canada.

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'll get the info from the books.....then report tomorrow.

No Internet at the new place, and she's changed locks on the old residence.

He was worried about 'hatch rattles' and 'windshield wipers stick sometimes'....until the engine let go at 6,000K miles....ROTFLMAO!

"No Hertitage Sticker for you! The motor she's agoes ka blooooey!"

12. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    ok, you can PM then, whats a heritage sticker ???

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The old Certification from the Factory, if all your component IDs matched..it's gone now, NLA......

I always wondered if a six month old engine change would be accepted, as we don't have "numbers matching' in the traditional sense.......

14. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    i have my concerns about a 25 yr old, looking at a ferrari thats 2x there own age...WTF do they know whats correct, even the factory needs to call in some old school dogs.....cause they dont know....the guys that painted these things with a cigarette in hand with no mask is unfortunatley flying around with wings.

15. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #40 308 GTB, Nov 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    ok, thanks, is this for your car ? Or a general looking one ?

Im assuming its from the classic program.

17. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    The certificate is specifically for my car. It's not part of the Classiche thing and it was free. I had to provide the Ferrari Owners Site with specific information about my car (chassis number, engine number, transmission number, etc) and they sent that certificate to me in pdf format. They discontinued the Heritage Certificate but now offer an Original Vehicle Colours Certificate.

18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    To clarify the pouch issue. I'm the fourth owner and the fabric pouch came with my car. The pouch was provided by the dealership and not the Factory. I never contacted the original owner so I'm not sure which pouch Algar supplied him. If fabric pouches were first produced later than 1976, then it's obvious that mine is a replacement pouch.

19. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    ok, just checking, yes i recall this.it used to be free, and then took it away (recently).....now you have to go through the Classique program to attain something like that. I jsut wanted to clarify it since i didnt understand clearly Big Tex. Nice piece to have, essentially you dont have to go through the claissique program now. Good score !

20. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    No, you don't have to spend a lot of money going through the Classiche Program to get this type of certificate. As I mentioned, the Owners site now offers the "Original Vehicle Colours Certificate" which looks pretty much the same. Someone posted this certificate in this forum recently.

21. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    do you have the website Barry ?

Thanks !

22. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  23. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    once your on the site where do you go I'm a member but lost in the site to find anything

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You link thru to Classic Parts in the UK, and if you enter your car data into the My Garage section they'll confirm build date and OEM colors....

I put pics in also of my Art Cars as well so they can see that...LOL!

Just in case they missed Cavallino #133.........

It's mainly good to see current events but they also publish some good vintage articles, like on our 308GTB tunring 30 years old recently.

Also check out that nice leather tool kit for 1,500 Euros! ;)

25. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato