1976 308GTB Steel #20405 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1976 308GTB Steel #20405

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by BigTex, Apr 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have a mechanic and an owner flying in next week, to inspect and certainly agree.
    I think the red car will join an Italian owners collection, and be blue, if I were gazing into a crystal ball!

I have to fix that cracked front turn lens, from my spares inventory, and put the nose badge on...

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I think it is all based at what level one needs the car at.

No doubt the cars for my level will need a full restore , and these cars being original as Big Tex has described, are great candidates for such a project. Always restore the best car you can find that is complete, and not a basket case where you don't know what's missing or been carved.
    Big Tex's cars offer both option, a full head on restore to a brand new car, or cars you can spend time/money to run for the time being until one is ready for a restore.

These cars are 40yrs old , and he is priced accordingly .... My gtb is 150k all day long for me, because I know I can't replace it for that money with one in similar condition unless I restore one...and even then, 150 for a gtb including the car and restore may not be enough.

I'm not sure what you were expecting to see for the money he was asking ...LOL

3. duckymex

duckymex Karting

May 24, 2011
    Amen !

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Tex, can you recap your history with the three cars? Which one came first?

5. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    With the prices implied, I don't think one can expect a concourse car (maybe 10 years ago). I think the fact of the matter is, if you think this is an unrealistic price today, wait to see what the next owner will sell them for. A GTB 308 is quite uncommon. And Im always surprised when I see people expecting (regardless of price) an as new 30 year old car. Lets face it, some of those exist, but we wont find them for sale on a forum very often.

GLWS, I like em both, but my current QV GTS is eating all my disposable income.

6. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Drive it more! ; )

7. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    ...and mine all my time with just light resto work! I'd love to have a GTB to work on also, but I don't know where I would find the time.

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #33 BigTex, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    I have owned the yellow car the longest, so it came "first".....I have put a lot of sheet metal on it (new drivers door after a crash) both rear quarter panels.
    It ended my marriage when Amanda was 5, she's 21 now!

The blue car came "next", the epic drive home from Portland OR to Houston TX. with my sweet Lady Valeria (back when she WAS sweet, she left two months ago!)
    Valeria and I loved, and danced, and fought, for 14 years.....

Then the red car was "last" into my collection, although it is actually the oldest of the three. Jerry Fisher was the seller, I am sorry he deleted his post above, (Jerry?? Come back!!) he cared for the red car for over thirty years! 1980 thru about 2005?

I am digging out all the paperwork, and Bill of Sale to answer various questions!

Been camping all weekend in New Braunfels, with some pretty young ladies.
    Used a rock for a pillow and my back is telling me I am no longer young.

The babes said pretty much the same thing....:rolleyes:

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We have a Euro QV GTB here, too!
    $50K, it has distracted one of my buyers, as it "needs nothing".

Like a 21 year old knocking her 24 year old sister out of a date!

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks Big Red.

Coming from you that means a lot.

That is exactly what's happening, dealers flooding in with low offers, users and collectors at the other end!
    I can sell all three at $109K, but the yellow one isn't even on the market!!!
    This guy must have a big truck...:D :D :D
    So, 'No Deal' on that!

Which one would I rather meet, at the Bank??
    I think everyone knows....

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, yes and no, as ALL of the 1976 and 1977s were GTBs, but these steel cars with the legal NON CAT rating are not on every corner car lot, even in oil rich Texas!!

12. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Pretty funny history of the cars - relating them to relationships

13. Jerry Fisher

Jerry Fisher Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    I deleted my post because the guy apologized to you for his comments which I thought were unfair.

I owned that car for 24+ years (1981-2006). It always ran well and never gave me any problems of a serious nature.

I tried to keep it as original as "sanity" and parts availability allowed. It never saw any Midwest winters and never spent a night outdoors. It did drip a tiny bit of oil, needed an occasional jump start since I was storing it in a garage that did not have electricity for a battery tender.

If I had time , I would buy it back and bring it back to my desired condition. It hurts me to see it now ( should stay away from F chat) but I know Alan has used the car to raise money for charity and I find that commendable. Bottom line, its still 37 years old and needs TLC. I would have to pay someone to do it , so not happening. I had a great run with a wonderful car, now have a 2006 911S I can drive to work without fear of it being irreplaceable if something bad happened. Its OK...I had a Ferrari and now I have a Porsche. My car life is good.

I sold the car to Alan at a very attractive price because I got sick and tired, very quickly, of the tire kickers who did NOT GET Ferraris and were looking for a perfect car for no money.
    This was a very original car, spent most of its life being babied by a very fussy owner (me).

Is it tired, sure BUT before I sold it to Alan, the Ferrari mechanic who did the major service said it was of the best driving 308 of that vintage he had driven.

I hope the right person is out there to bring it back to that level.

No offense to Alan. I am sure he would love to bring it back to its heyday and keep it. If not,
    I hope he applies the same thought process I did. Get the car in the hands of someone who will give old #20405 a good, new life.

14. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Translation: he doesn't have the money to buy the car

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks, Jerry!

It STILL runs well!
    :D :D :D

We'll get the water pump back on, and it will fire right up. It was running great when I turned it off. Thanks for stepping back in to this conversation.

This is a long way from a "needs a full restoration car".

I had hoped to paint it and sell it, in it's best light.
    As you see everyone equates a "needs something" to a "needs everything" car.

You are also correct, if I did it all myself, it would be viable.

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Oh, he has multiple Ferraris, but the steel 308s are really where the 246 Dinos were, when they were "$60K with rust and dents".

I think those that bought in at that price, they did okay, long view!!!

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well said, indeed.

This car is a time capsule car, complete in every respect.

If I had shot a "Ferrari red" on it, tape and spray, before posting, it would be bringing in top money offers. Maybe I should have brought in some help , (and I tried!)..

Most wanted to take the whole deal away.

They are gone.
    I am here.
    :D :D :D

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Jerry Fisher,

Do you recall the mileage that was on the first speedometer, when it was replaced?

I am looking for the Repair Order on it, but thought you might recall a "ball park" number?

It is a fine example, and has the nicest steering wheel, (and shift knob!) of any car on the market! LOL!

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I have known big tex for many years and he has always been kind, genuine and has worn his heart on his sleeve. not a surprise that each of these cars has a memory or two attached. I have no doubt that when he does sell...the sale will be both sad and a bit therapeutic.

take your time my friend...

pcb

20. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

nice of you to weigh in!! cheers!!

21. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Alan,

Good luck with the sale. I own your car's very, very near sibling #20399!

22. Jerry Fisher

Jerry Fisher Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    #47 Jerry Fisher, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    We never really knew "for sure". The dealer I bought it from never gave me the repair order. I doubt they replaced the speedo. That might be risky and they have a big reputation.

When I got the car it showed 2K miles. It had new tires but the spare showed tread life that many "experts" estimated at 20K miles. The mechanic I was using at that point also felt the chassis and engine compartment looked like the car had travelled in the 20K mile range. My buddy also had an early steel 308 and he did not see anything that led him to believe the car had done a lot of miles. ( he knew these cars like the back of his hand and did a lot of the minor tuning work on #20405 )

SOOO---I just treated the car as if it had whatever my odometer showed plus 20K and at that was the mileage.

It does have the nicest steering wheel and shift knob BUT I have the real originals and the nose badge. I'll make you an offer..you can have the originals..just ship me back the car, even up...LOL.

If a potential buyer needs to confirm any of this with me , I will help to the best of my ability.

jerry

Check this link to see TEX leaving my driveway and taking #20405 to Texas. ( I photoshopped out the tears--LOL)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/140291-feels-weird-shes-gone-after-24-years.html

23. duckymex

duckymex Karting

May 24, 2011
    or to restore it...

or both...

24. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    We know :)

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks Jerry!!!......I did recall it was "about 20K miles" so I will go with that.

At some point the old cars with odometers that don't register past 99K miles are "exempt" or "unverified" or something like that.