1977-308 Oil pressure | FerrariChat

1977-308 Oil pressure

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jgmblair, Sep 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Was getting some crazy readings from the dash gauge in the 150 range. Grounded the gauge and it moved to 170 suggesting the gauge is ok. Removed the sender and attached a gauge, 30 pounds/2kg/cm2 at 950 idle at full operating temperature.
    WSM states 5.5-6.5 at 6000 rpm or 80-95 pounds.

I didn’t rev it up to 6000, is it safe to assume this idle pressure is in the “normal” range?

Any suggestions besides buy a new sender?

Thanks

Jeff

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No ;)

30 psi at idle is A-OK.

3. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    You might be able to find a Fiat Veglia oil pressure sender at a very reasonable price.

4. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair

From what I have read many have gone down this path and hit a dead end. My car is a 77 and fitted with the M16x1.5 fitting, the sender runs around $175 from a few of the usual suppliers. If you have a specific suggestion I’m all ears.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    sway.office.com/LVWsbkSxiOXNH6LJ

Have a look at this site. He is a member here and was offering a kit because so many became so dissatisfied over the lack of accuracy and at times availability of new senders. I have installed a few including my own car.

6. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    I've posted on this topic before here in a dedicated thread, but I switched all of my Veglia gauges and sending units over to VDO gauges and senders more than a decade ago, and with no regrets whatsoever.

VDO units are commodity items, easily (and very inexpensively) sourced at many hot rod shops such as Jegs.

Specifically, my VDO oil pressure gauge appears to be extremely accurate - the needle swings so much with engine rpm (just as it should do) that you could almost use it as your tachometer.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Good idea. Veglia gauges are trash. The temp gauges aren't too bad but they have never made a good oil pressure gauge.

The kit I gave a link to has a box that generates a correct signal for the Veglia is also adjustable so for the 1st time in history you can calibrate a Veglia gauge to read the correct pressure.