1977 308GTB 21291 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1977 308GTB 21291

Discussion in '308/328' started by jgmblair, Jan 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    It was suggested that while I have the engine out and the gas tanks removed that I should change the long coolant line that runs along the drivers side front to back. I have read the DIY thread in the sticky but still have a few questions.

1. Can someone confirm if this is part number 110276 or 106699?

I cannot find any reference in the documentation I have that this hose was replace on my car but the hose does not look like an OEM hose which makes me think it’s been replaced? Open to comments on what you think after looking at the pictures.

2. Obviously the braided sleeve is not OEM, is suppose to be a union in this hose prior to it connecting to the intake?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Getting ready to put the heads on and degree the cams. Spent some time assessing the piston travel relative to the flywheel marks on both banks. It’s amazing how sensitive things are! Ive read all the threads on lock and swap and eyeballing the assembly marks when changing the belts but my assessment of the last person who serviced this car has reinforced the need to dial things in at this service. The next service will be very straight forward :)

Anyone have a picture of their fabbed up tool to mount their degree wheel on the balancer? I’m thinking just a longer m18x1.5 bolt and a few washers with a sleeve to keep the drive gear compressed?

3. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Hi Jeff, nice to see it coming along well. Did you check the synchro wear? Worth doing while it’s apart along with diff seals and drill the blind hole for the shift shaft to save 2nd synchro.

Those hoses look quite old so I would change them as it’s only a couple of hours work if two of you- push from the back and pull from the front.

I stuck a timing wheel on the back of the crank and used the lobe centres to set it up. If you want I can send you some adjustable eccentric pins which make it easier to adjust the timing (I left some in the US so post is quick and cheap.)

4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    It's not so straight forward to install that degree wheel on the balancer as one would imagine. I ended up with three M6 bolts spaced out 120 degree apart (61 mm from center). The bolt head is on the backside of the wheel including a big size washer +-30 mm. The big washer is catching behind the outer belt profile on the balancer. I have also enlarged the center hole in the degree wheel to be able to turn the crank during the cam setting. The indicator pin is a knitting needle I stole from my wife.

Good luck with the project, Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login

derekw likes this.
  5. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Heads on and torqued, new belts with Hill tensioners, removed cam bolts replaced the orings and set up the assembly marks. Fellow fchatter Derek has offered some eccentric sleeves/pins to dial in the timing. I’ll see how close things are once I start degreeing the cams. Gave it a few rotations and things are bang on with the flywheel and cam assembly marks after setting the belt tension. I was able to source an M18x1.5x80mm bolt with a few nuts which allowed me to fab up the degree wheel using the balancer and the crank washer to keep the drive gear in place.

6. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Moving along and trying to figure out the emissions system plumbing. As far as I can tell the PO removed the AC and plugged all the emissions lines from the passenger side fuel tank. I’ve taken some time to look at the plumbing configurations but have a few questions. I assume many owners have discarded the emissions equipment ;) I believe this system still needs to vent to the atmosphere in some way?
    I found a line attached to the driver side fuel tank with what looks like a one way valve? And on the other side there was a line going from the tank to the 7/8 carb.

is this an acceptable way to remove this system?

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Jeff -- Email sent in response to your email, but I forgot to mention that the braided stainless steel line going to the top of the RH tank is not part of the emission system. It is the fuel return line from the 7/8 carb orifice restriction fitting (a US system would also have a one-way valve in that line only allowing fuel flow from the carb to the tank, but the euro system doesn't have it so not super-critical to have).

8. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    #59 jgmblair, Jun 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Thanks Steve! As per your email the valve pictured in post 57 lets air pass in either direction, holding it up I cannot see thru it but I can blow thru it in both directions, does this valve allow air but not fluid to travel from the tank to the filler neck?

Thank you for pointing out the braided line in post 57 picture two is the return line.

The filler neck nipple was indeed blocked off.

When looking at figure 70 if E is a one way valve where does it connect after it leaves the filler neck?

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #60 Steve Magnusson, Jun 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Unknown. As I said in my email, it physically does not look like the stock one-way valve. With the nipple on the filler neck also blocked off, it's a good thing that it can pass air in both directions as you seemed to have no other vent. If it is some sort of "rollover" valve, that blocks fluid (and air) flow when inverted, it would need to be in mounted in a specific orientation. Have you tried blowing thru it in both directions with one end up and then the other end up?

It just "connects" to the atmosphere. The unconnected end as in the figure is how it should be. Here's how the stock one looks:

10. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Thanks Steve! A picture always says a thousand words.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's no supply chain for the "old version" so the fact you see the Hill bearings means someone was doing the "right thing"..
    Beautiful car

I had 20405, 22641, and still retain 22127 1976 and 1977 steel cars (North American spec)

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The parts diagrams are not what you need on the charcoal can tubing, there's a "system diagram" showing how it all ties together and gets back to the charcoal can (which you may be missing) ...from memory that line from the filler neck is for spillage and drips on the ground at drivers side at tank fill.

But I may be wrong it's late and I just got back from a late night in New Orleans....:D
    Let me find it or Steve M will know the one, it shows all the RH and LH tank connections at one time.
    From 1977 Supplement Owners Manual.

The charcoal can is where it vents to atmosphere, by design.
    Our caps are certainly NON vented..LOL!

There is a "check valve" in it, but the "tip over safety" is from a micro switch under the drivers seat, breaking the fuel pump circuit.

Good job on the degree wheel, the Ferrari only part to mount that is a rare thing, but I may know of a few....

13. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Thanks for your reply. Steve was kind enough to provide me with the supplement and I’ve added that to my files.

Was wondering if you or anyone would have a picture of the proper routing of the long heater and Vacuum hose as they come up thru the drivers arch.
    And does that long heater hose have a union in it or does it clamp directly to the nipple above the wp?

I was able to change the hose on Father’s Day with my son, fun job ;). On my car it looks like they pulled both hoses over the rear hood latch cable?

14. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Moving along, brought the engine back to the car at our summer home, my son is getting nervous as he’s hoping to drive it before the snow flys! I’m hoping for a late fall. Replaced every fuel line all new clamps, removed the tanks, cleaned and painted. New fuel filter, crush washers etc. Thanks again to Steve M for constantly sharing his intellectual knowledge at no cost to us fellow enthusiasts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Harry-SZ likes this.
  15. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Another thanks to Wade Williams at Merlin (Fchat member Ferrari Tech) I reached out to him and like Steve he was very gracious with his knowledge and time. Wade had a few really interesting posts in a thread on degreeing cams in the testarossa section. I have literally read every thread to degree or not degree ;) and wanted to see for myself how things lined up. Well the results were quite astonishing and I now understand why the assembly marks are called assembly marks. I refreshed the tensioners had the heads done and put everything back together with the assembly marks all lined up and gave her a bunch of rotations. Everything lined up great at TDC and then I began dialling things in. The first picture gives you an idea of how things look, this was 5 degrees off and when dialled in you can see where the assembly mark ended up.

16. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    #67 jgmblair, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  17. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
  18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Looks good -- hopefully, way more than 10 years! I am a little disappointed that the gasket suppliers haven't incorporated something like this change since the stock gasket design clearly develops a "bulging and blocking" problem with time.

19. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    JuLiTrO likes this.
  20. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    You also need to fill the splines with silicone to ensure a drip free environment. Don't be shy.

Best, Peter

21. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    The Birdman site has a good writeup on this.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    I can see how we lose these beautiful cars due to poor service and deferred maintenance. This is the harness from the alternator to the starter. Went to a local shop $20 and ordered some 5/8 ID fire sleeve from Aircraft Spruce another $20 should be good for the next 40 years with no issues ;) Image Unavailable, Please Login

Andreas Engesvik likes this.
  23. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
  24. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010