1977 Blues | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1977 Blues

Discussion in '308/328' started by Hannibal308, Sep 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HeloSixx

HeloSixx Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2007
    Amelia Island FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #51 HeloSixx, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Andreas Engesvik likes this.
  2. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Blu Acapulco...that's fantastic! Looks like a shade lighter than Sera and darker than the newest version of Chiaro.

The Dino with the "Old" Blu Chiaro really is just flat out stunning. I wish my 308 really had that color on it...my guess is it would really be a rare bird if correct.

3. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Is it metallic?
    Jon

4. HeloSixx

HeloSixx Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2007
    Amelia Island FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Yes, slight metallic and the shade changes color to purple in certain light. its also a single stage paint.

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Paints remained single-stage until about mid-348 production, I believe. Certainly no 3X8 were painted with a basecoat/clearcoat, all were single-stage paint OEM.

Rgds

6. HeloSixx

HeloSixx Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2007
    Amelia Island FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Jean-Philippe

Were you able to confirm how many 308's were painted Blu-acapulco? Since we spoke last I've lowered the price and have gotten considerably more interest. I'll keep you posted on the sale and where it ends up.

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well Ben, don't get confused about your French(s)...I'm Bruno, but I know Jean-Philippe very well, and we are in touch.

That said however, I would be very surprised:
    1. that someone is able to confirm with 100% certainty how many 308s were painted Blu Acapulco (or any other color for that matter): information of that nature is simply not available; and when it is quoted, is impossible to cross check, so...
    2. that there were more than half-a-dozen "Blu Acapulco" 308s, and at most!

Rgds

Bruno

8. HeloSixx

HeloSixx Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2007
    Amelia Island FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanks Bruno! Sorry I confused monikers ��

9. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    I did not find any else 308 Blu Acapulco HeloSixx but I'll send you couple of things I found about it in a mail very soon. Let me organize my stuff....

10. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Wow. What a stunner. Great shot Mike!

11. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    I am a huge fan of blues on our Ferraris. Member Oengus posted some great shots of his 1977 GTB that is Acapulco Blue. I thought I'd bump this thread to bring the blues back into our lives...

Question...Blu Monaco. Anyone seen that color, have a car with that color, or know anything about as pertains to 308s? I really would love to see it.

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes indeed, I have seen it, and pretty sure it was on a 308 to boot. Didn't keep the picture, but perhaps TripleBlack did(?). I remember that I did not like it that much.
    Rgds

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Must be "Blu Monte-carlo 20-A-548" and TripleBlack kept the pic indeed, see on the link below, right column, a GTS, fourth from the top down.
    Rgds

http://www.308-328.com/308/308specstyl.html

14. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    This one...I’ve never seen that color before. It really looks like Blu Chiaro that showed up later on 308s... Thank you, Bruno.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    NoGoSlow likes this.
  16. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  17. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
  18. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

19. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    @Oengus I love your Acapulco!
    @Hannibal308 This is what I know. She is October '77 US steel delivered in Texas. Lived there until '89 when she was imported to Switzerland. According to records and invoices got some panels respray in '86. This is when I think she lost the original paint sticker and was replaced by the one in the picture, unfortunately hardly possible to read.
    As it was not a full respray I believe she keeps original color. I would say she is Acapulco, but honestly I made the call myself making indoor and outdoor photos and comparing them with others like Oengus's. Below an indoor picture
    Opinions are very welcome ;-)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Oengus likes this.
  20. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    If I may, Blu(s) are really hard to respect on picture, they change a lot with the daylight color balance.
    The only Blu Acapulco I know for sure form the factory is the ex car from Helosixx with a Glidden Salchi sticker (an Euro model exported to US by a French owner)
    But, JuLiTrO, this shade of blu was also made by PPG in the 60's, it is an old color (a kind of vintage color) so if the owner who did the extra paint did know that, maybe he had the good color code. PPG was not the provider for the 308 but for the 400 (which arrived already painted at the factory).
    Right now, color specs from Glidden Salchi company are unknown (at least from me), so it is hard to reproduce. Even the color that Glasurit did continue in the 80 are not exactly with the same shade.
    If your car didn't have a full respray, then, you'll have a chance to find a part (there a lot of hiding paint part) to get it analyzed.

21. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    So the Blu Acapulco in post #64 on the US GTS is another maybe?

22. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    No, the Blu on post #64 is blu Montecarlo, a much bright and saturated color. Here is some others pictures of that color.

The blues are very difficult to represent faithfully in photos on the 308 because the hue very much depends on the shooting conditions (like the red but at the other end of the spectrum of the digital sensors).
    To this, we add 2 suppliers of paint (Glidden Salchi then Glasurit) over the period that do not have exactly the same shade, so we double the possible results.
    Whenever you ask me the question, I start to sweat. Especially since I just found and see with my eyes again a blue certified by ferrari on a 308 of 1978 which is the blu 20-A-185, originally proposed for the 308 GT4 but which is never on the paint chip of the 308. It's a deep blue between scuro and black ...

JuLiTrO and maxemus like this.
  23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    im going loco just looking at the Acapulco ..amazing:)

24. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Acapulco is the fazznizzle my nizzzle without a doubt.