1977 GTB smog components and pictures | FerrariChat

1977 GTB smog components and pictures

Discussion in '308/328' started by arcticlighting, Feb 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arcticlighting

arcticlighting Karting

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian Chapman
    I need some help on my 308 restoration. The mechanic I took it to first took off all the smog parts and put them in a box. Now I have no idea on how they install or pictures to re-assemble it correctly. I know for high point show cars this needs to be installed and be correct.

Google engine shots are not detailed enough for me to see where it all goes and how.

Mechanic won’t be helpful as it was a very frustrating adventure dealing with him.

I know there is a pump on the left side and I have another pump I believe for the right but are there guards or heat shields?

Any help really appreciated.

Carpet is in. Trying to get glass in by end of month and cut and buff. It truly is almost done after 4 years.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

E mail pictures on here or [email protected]

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Find a parts book. It will be a huge help to you. Photos will help but I think the parts book will help a lot more.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Also, the OM for you exact year/model/version should have some very good technical figures of its US emission equipment.

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have the diagrams in PDF form. Just PM me your email address.

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The 1977 308GTB had two air injection pumps, one on the left and one on the right. The remains of the mounting brackets indicate where they were located. As the previous posters have said, the parts book and original owners manual for your year car are very good sources to figure out what you are missing. You could post photos of what you have, so experts could comment on what you have and what is needed. Some of the parts have been NLA for a while and are very difficult to source.
    Unless you are building a 100 point show car, or a car that needs to pass a California smog test, you may be better off leaving the parts in the box.

6. arcticlighting

arcticlighting Karting

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian Chapman

I never thought owners manual. Have it in the safe so I’ll get it out and check.

It is close to a 100 point car I think. Hard to say with judges etc. want at least platinum level. Have sourced so many of the little items people don’t do.

Thank you all again.

Brian Chapman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Chapter O of the (110/75?) 308GT4 WSM (I believe) also shows the (2-air-pump) air injection system and fuel evaporation control system that is used on your US 1977 308GTB. You should be able to find a pdf copy online at www.ferrari.cdyn.com

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sigh....let me help.

I well know the people that take things apart and put them in a box.

But as above, here's the things you need to examine. It would be easier to "leave it off" than put back on.
    I think the pumps were still mounted, when I sold it??

The Air Injection Rails are the parts they will be shot, high heat, mild steel, they are rusted.
    They come off the pump discharge and then feed, one by one, to put some "extra air" into the exhaust flow, via ports in the engine HEAD.
    So, building front and rear air rails to the heads will be a chore.

Then, the two air pumps and control valve are GM!
    Happy day!
    oh wait, 1976 GM, maybe more of a chore. :/

That's the air side.

Then on the exhaust side, there is a multi tube (steel, darn it..rusted!!) mainifold of FOUR air sampling tubes, that run from ports in the header, up to a rack on the LH side of the rear cam cover. That's for tuning!!!

You just put your A/F sensor on each tube (wait, we went to exhaust tip sensors, about 1980...…) and dial that carb right in!!
    One barrel at a time.....cylinder by cylinder.

The rear set of riser tubes were removable, four loose tubes with end fittings and caps, you keep them in the jack bag.
    When you tune, you take the blank bolts out of the rear header ports and put the loose risers in, and then, well you have to find that very tiny A/F ratio sensor again.

Then just put those two little tiny belts on, from the tool kit, and motor on!

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    As a total aside, when my cars were fresh to Texas we used to still have to pass Unburned HC and CO at the exhaust tips.

Tuned well, using the glass spark plugs to know exactly how your A/F looked, once set, my carbs would pass with NONE of the air system functioning.

You would take the engine in HOT, refuse to turn it off, and make them sniff it with everything "cooking".....it worked.

So IMO Ferrari was kind of running scared when they did the air injection and the R1, R2 points jazz.....
    Lots of guys did away with the extra points and microswitch at the throttle too.

Outlaws!!!

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You also have a brand new (four year old) ANSA, and not the Thermo-reactor muffler the Ferrari put back there...…

Thank me later...…
    :D :D

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks Steve this is a HUGE point....

There IS no Engine Manual for the 1976 -77 308GTB
    We are assumed to share the one from the 1975 308GT4, which for North America was identical in (well most) respects to the 1976 -77 cars.
    There was a revised wiring diagram, for 1977, warning you about the safety switch in the drivers seat, in case of crash tip over.
    It shuts off the fuel pump.

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It seems a box of "period take offs" might be you best bet, or perhaps FerrParts or Trutlands would get lucky with a set of components in usable condition??

Don't mean to discourage you at all.....