1978 308 GTS EV Conversion | Page 4 | FerrariChat

1978 308 GTS EV Conversion

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308Hutch, Sep 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Awesome. Sounds great.

2. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #77 308Hutch, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Why change the trailer when we can forklift ballet it onto a flat bed for transfer down the street to Strategic Racing Design (SRD). Justin is awesome. Mounting a tough install for the G50 to center the drive shaft so the trip-motor set-up will be perfectly balanced and displayed in the mid-engine compartment. We got a few strange looks and photos driving this down the road on an open flat-bed-----
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #78 308Hutch, Dec 14, 2014
    The rear aluminum battery boxes came and we were able to set them with the G50 and align the motors in the mid-engine compartment..... A lot of installations details to address now..... Interesting to see how much space goes away!

4. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    In San Diego tomorrow. PM me your contact info and location. Will try and stop by if ok to do so.
    Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Lots of people are saying "cool thread" and "great idea" and "awesome work" and such...but I can't help but feeling that the car didn't look THAT bad--and heck, it was a carbed 308--certainly worth putting back to normal.

Oh well.

6. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    A fire ruins all the rubber and plastic bits at the very least, often it ruins aluminum bits also. Most importantly it damages the title of the car. These add up to a considerable amount of time and money to put right. And when you are done with all that everyone here will blast it as a salvage title car that no one should touch. If he hadn't rescued it to be an EV it would have gone to a wrecking yard and gotten parted out. If you want 308s on the road this is probably the best possible outcome. If you need used parts for your 308, this wasn't so good!

7. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Wear your sandals :D

8. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #83 308Hutch, Dec 17, 2014
    Larry- You must have been ready our minds... we just got a bulk order of Rainbow Sandal "shop shoes" from the best sandal factory ever. Happy Holidays Shop!!

9. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #84 308Hutch, Dec 17, 2014
    We welcomed Ferrari Chat's own "Thomas Magnum" aka Mark here in San Diego from Memphis to visit the 308GTE project at EV West today. Thanks for coming Mark and it was great spending 5 hours checking out the project(s). Come back anytime!! Look forward to your review and post some pics...... I did not get many.

Pictured (L-t-R): EV West's Mike Bream, John Roselli, Intern+, and TM with the Shop Lab/Dog Ono taking point.

10. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #85 308Hutch, Dec 17, 2014
    SRD Racing is using their bad ass know how with customer Baja fabrication to get this in right and tight. Notice the custom mounts built to align the trans at all angles. It fits, barely but well. There is some room but the trip-motor set is going to eat some space. Note the custom drawing mount bracket design for the rear end of the G50. Light, hot, and SAF. Rock stars at work with loud music cranking. Original design is shaking up a bit to shuffle needed systems.... That bracket is for another truck but resembles a custom fab bracket to mount 3 controllers back if the EV Boss things they will work there.... Stay tuned to see how the master design engineer and the fab engineer solve the placement to make the engine a spectacular looking and performing powerhouse.

11. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Haha, too funny ! Best of luck with the project
    and Merry Christmas.
    Cheers Larry

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    FINALLY! Someone in shoes!

: P

Carrier/holder for trans looks dope.

13. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    As Eric mentioned, I got to see for myself the amazing 308 EV build and incredible operation at EV West. I'm very impressed with what Michael and his folks are doing.
    I sense apprehension and car snobbery among some in this thread but you can't argue with the performance, and yes I got a ride in an EV Karma Ghia. If you like FAST cars, don't ignore this budding technology. These guys aren't greenies...they're car guys, and seriously innovative. Check out evwest.com and keep an open mind.

Can't wait to see the finished 308 EV!

Mark

14. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Well, it's probably going to be the most beautiful EV on the planet!

15. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Good Luck with the build! I think you guys might surprise yourselves on how well this can turn out.

16. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
  17. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Seriously. That is not even a Ferrari! HA. We saw that six months ago.... Total POS ! It is a hybrid per the description! Wheel base looks like a Fierro!

18. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Thanks Mark!

19. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #94 Nuvolari, Dec 19, 2014
    Yesterday I became the third in a line of F-Chatters that made the trek to see this awesome project. Eric '308Hutch' was very welcoming and his enthusiasm for the project was infectious.

My visit started at EV West where I got to meet the team of electrical geniuses responsible for electrifying this 308 as well as seeing much of the hardware that will eventually find its way into this car. These are not a bunch of yahoos strapping a bunch of car batteries together but rather a very serious and accomplished group of EV converters who are applying a lot of science and experience to the project. The HP and Torque numbers are staggering and this 308 will likely leave a 458 standing in a drag race.

Next it was off to the fab shop where the 308 was receiving a whole host of custom work to accept its new drive train and power supply. Again I was met by an equally impressive bunch of guys with mad fabrication skills. Below is a photo of the 308 next to some of the other work they do; off road Baja racers. With just about every fabrication toy you can imagine at their disposal, the guys at SRD are wholly into this project and the work I saw was as nice as you will see anywhere.

Having seen the project first hand this thread really should challenge for thread of the month. With a fire burned 308 saved from the scrap heap its petrol parts will serve other 308 owners well while its body will live on to tear up the streets again only this time under the silent propulsion of electric power.

Here is a shot of the 308 in the most unlikely of places next to an off road trophy truck :)

20. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark

Agreed.

21. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I'm going to be in the SD area the 25th thru 28th or 29th. Will you guys be around for a drop in...I'd love to see the conversion first hand.

Henry

22. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Mark I'm jealous you got to check this out, looks awesome. Is that gray Beetle behind you an EV too? I have always wanted to build up my own early Beetle, and making an EV out of one would be fantastic.

23. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
  24. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Rob-

Great to meet you and thanks for coming by both EV West and SRD. Both are toy stores for sure. Will get more electric specs and details posted as we proceed with the 308 mods. You definately got a first hand look into some of the items that we will be featuring on the 308 EV project update (and them some beyond) on the next EVShow.com Episode 2 being posted Jan 1..... (which will still be rough considering its only our 2nd show... and first with some actual planning). There are some specs on power and torque earlier in the thread for immediate reference.

Again, thanks for coming by... Always fun to share with fellow 308 owners and FChat folks.

Eric

25. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Shmark - I found EV West's Youtube page and a very good video of their Volkswagen EV conversion... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzos5qz3_A4 Man, this thing would be a blast to scoot around in!

Thomas Magnum, Nuvolari - I'm jealous! I hope to see all of this good stuff when I am in SoCal next month.

I rebuilt my Harley Davidson electric golf cart a couple of years ago incorporating some new technology. Nothing at all like these EV West machines, but a fun and rewarding project nonetheless...

I have to stop looking at my 308 as a potential EV candidate! :)