1978 308 GTS | Page 4 | FerrariChat

1978 308 GTS

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by Sledge4.2, Feb 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Live and learn.
    Next time spell out all the terms. Not that its a guarentee that nothing will go amiss.
    If you're confident about finding a new buyer at your price I'd refund the money.

2. Renato

Renato Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2013
    New York
    Sorry to hear, what a pain! If I were in your shoes, in the future I would only take a non-refundable deposit. This in itself may help weed out the difference between the serious and the tire kickers.

Good luck!

3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Maybe I'm missing something, but a deposit is put in place to let the seller know you're serious. You back out, you lose the deposit period!!!! These ass clowns that want to write a deposit check, waste a bunch of your time while they decide and then ask for it back really get on my nerves. If this is the way it was supposed to work why not just call "first Dibs" and save the hassle of getting your check book out.

I think you should just call "tough s&@t" and use the deposit money for a nice dinner for the time he's cost you.

I deposit taken pending a mechanical issue is a different story but when you write a check asking the seller to hold the vehicle for you it's fair game!

4. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Sadly, it sounds very much like what I just went through. Same drill and money returned. Absurd accusations. It should be clear that if a buyer is looking for a perfect new car, he should buy one. You have a very nice example and it should be in the hands of a real knowing new owner.

5. mac109

mac109 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Connecticut/Florida
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think you said he accepted your price to take it off the market....then he backs out...and other potential buyers moved on since it was "off the market"....and now you are holding an unsold car...i would not refund deposit in that scenario (even though you are confident in selling).

Beautiful car....GLWS

6. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Its all part of selling cars. The deposit is to hold the car. Not to pay for the time spent with the seller. Id give the money back. I always give the deposit back when a deal falls through.

7. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    #82 Fairview, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    Geno,

Sorry to hear about all that. You're in California and so the law there is "unusual". It looks like there between a car dealer and a buyer, a deposit is almost always refundable........

But if you are not a car dealer, just a guy selling his car, the $500 should be kept by you. It is payment for taking the car off the market as the buyer requested. If the deal had gone through, it would have been applied to the purchase price.

Frankly, the buyer should be embarrassed to ask for the deposit back. He has cost you more than $500 in lost sales to a real buyer, and now the inconvenience of remarketing your car. Of course, buyers can be big babies.

However, there is a bright side. Remember our earlier private messages? Now you can sell me one of those extra carb tops!:) Let me know and I'll send you the dollars for a carb top to fix my big DIY mistake from a few years back. I won't even call it a deposit, I'll man up and just buy it!

Thanks, Jeff

8. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Jeff, the car top is yours, my treat. PM me your address and I will ship it to you. Buy me a beer sometime and we'll call it even.

The would-be buyer should be on here shortly to tarnish my creditability.......he veiled a threat do that

Life is short, I am probably going to give the guy back his money, god knows I don't need my image tarnished :)

9. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #84 Sledge4.2, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Bones2U

Bones2U Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2008
    Ontario
    Everyone will remember that I sold my '84 308 QV here in 2 hours the first time it was listed. The buyer gave me a $2,000 deposit. After over 100 emails and transport already arranged he wasn't able to complete the purchase. He insisted that I keep the deposit and never asked for it back. In fact he may still buy the car when his situation improves in May. Never burn any bridges if you can avoid it but that deposit should be yours.

11. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Deposit should remain yours IMO.

PDG

12. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    Geno,

Thank you, what a generous thing to do. You are first class, for sure!

Jeff

13. FstFwd

FstFwd Rookie

Jul 21, 2013
    Englishtown, N.J.
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Mr. so and so shoud never have asked for the money back. Maybe he thought he was logged on to KiaChat.com
    $500 down might get him a decent used Kia.
    Very nice car and nice write up/ description on the first page. Good luck in Lambo land.

14. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    Well, that 500 dollar may be yours by law (or how do you say that) and/or morally, the question is if the "buyer" will be backfiring on you for it in/with whatever action. The 500 dollar isn't that high an amount when it comes to damage or annoying actions in whatever way.

Concerning your reputation: we don't know each other/I'm rather a newbie here, but I understand quite a few Fchatters know you in a (very) positive manner. Anyone who would be trying to tarnish you here: just let him/her try to do so and it will backfire on him/her.

Also good luck with the sale, the market is "good", you have the right car for it, and it looks just (very) fine. And since you will be selling her only once, the price should/múst be right, read strong/high. If you would sell the car a bit below "market" to an aquaintance/fellow Fchatter/friend, the new owner for shure will be a lucky guy/girl !

15. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    You performed your end plus passed on two legitimate buyers. Keep the deposit.

16. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    deposit returned, and moving on.

Geno

17. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Well done. For $500 you took the high road and played it liked a gentleman.

In my experience when someone starts moaning about the price and tries to beat you down they are nothing but a cheap, PITA. Don't even talk to those people, nothing makes them happy.

I'm sure you'll find the right buyer soon. Best of luck!

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Wise move. Its a small Ferrari world. No need to create unneeded ill will.

19. wheretheroadends

May 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Payman Nia
    Hi Geno,
    I'm in Orange County and would like to chat with you but for some reason I can't PM you. Any suggestions?

20. wheretheroadends

May 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Payman Nia
    Hi Geno. Can't PM and didn't see my post so retrying.

21. chacal

chacal Rookie

Apr 12, 2010
    san diego
    Do you have the 308 available?

22. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #97 Sledge4.2, May 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This car is still for sale:

After it came back from the major service, I couldn't help but enjoy it for a few weeks and question whether I really wanted to sell or not.

I am going to sell the car, and if it doesnt sell here within a week its going to a local dealer.

So, last chance here for Fchatters.

Major service completed two weeks ago: Cam belts, bearings, cam pulley's, valve adjustment, carb adjust and sync, transaxle pan replace, shifter adjusted, passed CA smog, and other misc items ($11,000 total).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. 330cic

330cic Rookie

Jul 1, 2006
    I am cleaning up the drool off of my laptop. Stunning car and fantastic pics!

24. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I never get tired of this guy's photography... wow.

25. Horsechat

Horsechat Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    That is one sharp looking car

+1 on the pics