For Sale - 1978 Alfa Romeo Spider | FerrariChat

For Sale 1978 Alfa Romeo Spider

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Mang, Sep 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    These are really great vintage sports cars. I’ve owned 4 now, all series 2 (1971 - 1982). I stumbled into this 48k original mile time capsule car a couple years ago. I’ve spent the entire time of ownership correcting flaws, and performing a ‘euro/backdate’ transformation on it. This includes the much prettier bumpers (these are original Alfa, not repops), single round driver side mirror, wiper arms and blades - again original Alfa off of a 1971 car. The side marker lights are converted to Carello rounds on the front and rear delete. The license plate lights are in the rear bumper vs. mounted extra side lights, orange rear lenses.

the wheels are very rare, Campagnolo late 60’s variant, rough cast, lightweight. The style is known as the ‘iron cross’. I acquired them 15 years ago. I also acquired at the same time the set of gold cast repop center caps and put together this wheel set just waiting for the right car to put them on. Again, these are extremely rare and good lookers. The finish is paint, so ez back to silver if new owner want.

the exterior finish on the car is interesting. It’s a crap quality paint job done decades ago that has simply faded, the ultimate patina car. It has a flat look that is actually very attractive. Maybe, someday put a show quality paint on this car and address the riveted on side moldings, they gotta go, and perhaps convert to Carello headlight covers, as some welding and paint work required on both. In the meantime, the USA headlight requirement is a good look and the moldings on this car are straight and have patina that matches the car, so they also look decent and do function. There is barely a flaw anywhere on this body. Please note the door shut lines and gaps, between body and front bumper for example. I have rarely seen a more straight tight body on one of these cars ever. The serpent logo is only a sticker so ez remove if new owner no like.

the interior is original, everything, and the pictures show the condition. The top is brand new and substituted navy for black as I was after THIS look. The top boot, black, original and like new.

this car is California smog equipped, with catalytic converter - all attached and untouched since new. Passes smog. If you live in California, this is big. This car is available and can be used and enjoyed. I have a bunch of detailed photos that I will slowly add here or if you are seriously interested, message me with your contact and I will send them along.

Mechanically rock solid, shifts like butter in all gears. This is huge, these almost always grind - especially 2nd gear, not this car…butter. The only area I am being lazy about is a few electrical bugs…some loose wires and no horn or engine compartment light right now. Brakes, motor, spica, all in good nic. Starts with a tiny blip of the ignition and I’m at 6400 feet, was just as good at sea level, I haven’t touched or adjusted anything, it works beautifully.

the market has been strong and stronger on these series 2 cars. this is one of the driest, straightest, lowest mileage original cars from this era around. VERY rare to find them in this condition. Asking $35k
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    This soccer shoe was my artistic inspiration when I visualized this ‘build’ I wasn’t sure these colors would all work. I gained confidence when I saw them together here.

Note; I sourced all replacement parts from Classic Alfa in England

Image Unavailable, Please Login

crinoid likes this.
  3. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Mang likes this.
  4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #7 TheMayor, Sep 24, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Never saw one with a red interior before. The 71 to 74 cars looked the best IMO. So it makes sense to convert the bumpers but its not cheap to do.

5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #8 Mang, Sep 24, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    specifically the US cars from ‘71 and ‘72 had these ‘euro’ bumpers…without the added rubber nubs added for ‘73 and ‘74. In Europe these same were used until ‘82.

The only visual change left to do to make it a full ‘euro’ conversion would be to convert the headlights to covered. I used to own the ‘holy grail’ series 2 spider, for 13 years so I had a good example of what they are supposed to look like. My only complaint was that car was missing out on more color. That was part of my motivation on this car, add some splash color without going too cray. The navy top and the gold wheels were my way. The ‘78 model year is especially nice because it had the fully carpeted rear, which makes it a nice finished look two seater. Here is a photo of my former ‘73 for reference…with my personal car photographer posing in it for fchat forum entertainment :cool:

EarlyCat likes this.
  6. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
  7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.

Attached Files:

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My worry about Alfas is interior fit. On the late models, my right knee bangs into the transmission tunnel.

9. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #13 Mang, Sep 26, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Hmmm…Dale, these early cars are pretty spacious, thinking you might do ok in one of these.

…and yes, the original turbina alloys and tires, complete set of 5 with good tread michelins are included

Attached Files:

10. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

great car.

Mang likes this.
  11. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Thanks Noel, hope you and family are ok and riding out this cray ass summer without too many more challenges.

12. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #17 Mang, Sep 28, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-alfa-romeo-spider-15/

This one concluded yesterday…$37k
    BAT is the golden ticket, my car was rejected. Mine has low miles, a straight nose/entire car, uber rare wheel set and the factory top too over this offering.

The steering wheel in this car was covered since new with a nice leather cover. When I removed it, the original is there like brand new. I replaced the brittle plastic horn button surrounds and now looks like this.

Attached Files:

71Satisfaction likes this.
  13. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Didn’t really mention, but this car functions and drives beautifully- requires no maintenance presently. I made a couple driving videos on the roads around here…

14. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  15. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  16. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #21 Mang, Dec 8, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    I just returned from moving this Alfa and my 1948 Willys into ‘winter storage’, multiple snow storms headed this way. On the Alfa - I sourced a set of 5 Vial wheels and shod them with new 185/70/14 tires. These wheels were an option along with gold pin stripe - added by a dealer in 1979 from the fellow I bought them from. I ‘modded’ the center caps with a red Alfa crest logo in steel.

it was difficult to get photos as space is limited but I did my best. They look awesome, and more period correct 1970’s wheel. The Campagnolo wheels seen until now are a 60’s variant, and maybe best suited for a series 1 or duetto/boattail, but any vintage series 1or2 is good. I will discuss/negotiate the Campy wheels separately if someone were interested.

price drop…new ask $33k
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 3249462 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Its because the throttle pedal is so high. You get used to it but then you are pretty tall.

one4torque and Texas Forever like this.
  18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks. Can the pedal be adjusted?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I do not think there is room in the foot well. I'd say get used to it...we did but I am only 5'10" or so. Might be easier to move seat back.

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yeah, seat already jacked back. I’ve learned the hard way to sit in a sports car before buying.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app