1978 Ferrari 400i 5 Speed Chassis 37297 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1978 Ferrari 400i 5 Speed Chassis 37297

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, Nov 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    A few years back most prospective buyers were exclusively looking for the hard to find following combo : dark blue, manual transmissions and carbs. This bias was (and is still) commanding sky-rocketing prices on these cars, or worse tatty cars with the correct combo that end up more expensive than cars that were maintained at great cost by true enthusiasts.

Let's face it our cars are no Daytona or Boxer : manual+blue 365/400/412 do have a higher resale value, but whatever the colour of a car, if it was not well taken care-of its maintenance will be higher than the market value of the car. The best financial investment is a well taken care of car. period.

1) Injected cars are much easier on a day to day basis : less smell, less noise, more bottom end.
    2) Auto cars are a joy to ride, manual tranny are rewarding (but exhausting)
    3) No discussion: in a photo shoot blue versions are sexy. Yet, photos do no justice to the lighter colours.

One should really see these cars "in person" and test drive them.

Most pleasant test-drive so far : white 400i auto. Cars had black stripes! (looked good). Mechanical perfection.
    Most balanced car tested so far : red 400i gen2 manual.
    Most powerful car tested so far : blue 365 with high comp. pistons.
    Most scary car tested so far : blue 365 with high comp. pistons.
    Nicest : 365 gold paint, perfectly stock.
    Favourite : mine
    (...)
    Worst return on investment (selling price - purchasing price - maintenance) : mine

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jack,

You are most welcome!

I cannot say if 37297 was well bought or not, as to me this is a relative term and is dependent upon the buyer's interests and experience. The car was presented as an original car and it sounded great in the driving videos. That being said it would be up to the new owner to decide what $$$ he wishes to spend on the car to bring it up the the condition he wishes. For me I like my cars to look "fresh" and/or for them to be in a good to very good/excellent driver quality level. For me to bring 37297 to this level would require a fair amount of $ and time. To others one could simply do whatever maintenance is required and drive and enjoy the car as is.

As for the Gullwing's 365... Indeed, this car has been for sale for some time. I seem to remember it being a mostly original car, but with a somewhat tired engine. As a result one would need to budget accordingly to sort the car out. Given the number of cars for sale in Europe, I think one is far more likely to find one there that meets one's budget and condition. Perhaps you could place a wanted ad in F-chat's For Sale section and see if anyone responds. You may reach one of the f-chat members that is considering selling their car.. just a thought.

Cheers,

Sam

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    That’s very interesting.

What chassis number is the break between series 1 and series 2 400i?