1979 308GTB $20K | FerrariChat

1979 308GTB $20K

Discussion in '308/328' started by Bxtech, Mar 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bxtech

Bxtech Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Ran across this on Craigslist. I have no affiliation........I'm just passing it along! :)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/1639337799.html

1979 308 gtb Ferrari (Central Valley)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ferrari 1979 308 gtb last of the webber carbureted 308`s
    22k miles fly yellow/black inter have factory 14 inch and 16 inch rims with new tires,, new adjustable coil over shocks, carbs are off had them rebuilt/have the belts too and additional parts, and have new carpet and seats redone along with door panels, needs to be finished, i dont have the time..

asking 20k
    no tire kickers please..

thank you

2. Bxtech

Bxtech Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    #2 Bxtech, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    On another thread - I've reached out to the guy, awaiting a response.

Mods - merge thread?

4. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Carbs are off the car?? So much for running the engine before you buy it. The motor could be frozen for all you know.

5. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Agreed - that's the major concern, and a big one.

6. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    woudl only take a few hours to pop them back on and see if it starts...

7. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Except I am in NJ...he's in California! I'd have to have someone look at it, although at face value, it looks quite nice.

If I knew the engine was ok - I'd go for it. He hasn't responded to me yet, so it's all conjecture until he does.

8. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I agree....would definitely want it to run well and drive before handing over $20K.

9. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    check your PM

10. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It is hard to tell from the ad, but are all the other items listed in the ad (belts, seats, carpets, 'other parts') not on the car? If not this would be quite a leap of faith, and have a profound influence on the viability of this project.....but then again a carbed GTB, and I love fly yellow.

11. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well, hopefully my agents on the ground will confirm ;)

I will make a move on this if that all checks out for certain.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The other two "rollers" we have found this week, are true early NON CAT cars....and therefore in my mind better candidates for serious investment.....

Rebuilding the dry sump Euro to proper spec would be a huge save......the '79 will alwaus be a soft cam car and legally requires CATS to license....that is only going to get worse unless you have "special friends" come sticker time.

13. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    In NJ we can put cars older than 25 years on "historic" plates. No need to get inspection, so cats / no cats doesn't matter.

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Tampering with Emissions is not a State Law, but a Federal one......

I understand what you are saying but a Ferrari is NOT a good car to use to "sneak around".....if the EPA ever showed up at a Vintage Car show it'd be like shooting fish in a barrell.

That's not as far fetched as it sounds, local Sheriff here targeted a hot rod show and wrote over a hundred "No Front Plate" citations, right outside the gate!!!

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's a pretty car...get a West Coast shop like Boblieff the check it, maybe even remount the carbs, and fire it up, and go for it!!!

16. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I just need the owner to contact me, and I may well do that!

From the pic, the car looks great.

17. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    Take it easy Rich. Why would anyone selling a car, NOT have the time to get the engine running? Hmmm. That is about a $5K hit to his asking price for very little reason.

...and as for photos, they all look good from that distance, as evidenced by the $25K 328 in Boynton Beach.

18. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Oh yea, I agree - hence the qualifier "from the pics"...

A few on this board have offered to go look at the car. If it passes the litmus test, I'll have someone like Bobileff look it over.

19. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I was thinking the same thing. If all that is needed to get the car running again was re-installing the carbs, a couple hours would increase his selling price at the very least by $5000. So unless this guy makes, or his free time is worth, more than a couple grand an hour I am just not buying this story.

20. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well he got back to me. The interior is basically not in the car, but no telling how apart without pics. Says the car ran, but again impossible to say without a pro looking at it.

I am going to call him and get more info, but sounds like more than an afternoon of work.

21. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    The add said something about belts, are the belts off the car? if all that needs to be put on to make the car run are the carbs thats one thing..if the timing belts are off thats another..ask him

22. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    This is rapidly approaching a money pit car!!!!! Part it out or be upside down.

23. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I was led to believe belts are off the car. He said it did run before he pulled carbs off for what it's worth.

24. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Just my two cents, but this sounds like a money pit. Interior and engine work? Had the carbs rebuilt, but didn't but them back to sell the car? Seats and door panels redone?
    Something does not seem right. I would look for a drivable 308 in the $25-30k. Not being able to drive a car like this, it would be too much of a risk for me.

Maybe someone with more experience would feel more better, but sounds like a big can of worms.... you won't really know what you are getting in to..........

Sounds interesting any how......
    Good luck.

25. mike308gts

mike308gts Karting

Aug 28, 2006
    Washington NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Why spend that kind of money for a car 3000 miles away that you can't see or drive, pay to have shipped, then put back together and hope it runs. There are drivers available in the $20 to $30 k range in the Northeast area. My two cents.

Mike