1979 Ferrari 308 Gearbox Issue | Page 4 | FerrariChat

1979 Ferrari 308 Gearbox Issue

Discussion in '308/328' started by Sparky308, Oct 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    very good info, thanks to Scott and Bruno :)

any news on Sparky`s gearbox ?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The early 308s use the WSM of the 308GT4.

That's why you don't find one........

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I shall post the gear ratios, as given by Bluemell, tomorrow. But, according to him, they are NOT the same for an US carbed car, and for an US qv...
    Rgds

4. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
  5. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Nerofer or smg2 did the factory track the gearbox number to the build/vin number of each car or is there any logic to that numbering system? btw, learned a lot today from this thread, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Not very useful now after what has been posted above by smg2, but for what it is worth, here are the gear ratios as given by Keith Bluemel; these are for information only, please cross-correlate with the WSM...

Carbed cars: Euro /US
    1st: 1:12.669 / 1:13.303
    2nd: 1:8.719 / 1.8.719
    3rd: 1:6.274 / 1:6.274
    4th: 1:4.611 / 1:4.611
    5th: 1:3.405 / 1:3.729
    Final Drive: 17/63 17/63
    Reverse: 1:12.036 / 1:12.036

QVs: Euro /US / Swiss
    1st: 1:13.072 / 1:13.888 / 1:13.303
    2nd: 1:8.996 / 1:9.559 / 1:8.719
    3rd: 1:6.473 / 1:6.878 / 1:6.274
    4th: 1:4.756 / 1:5.055 / 1:4.611
    5th: 1:3.514 / 1:3.736 / 1:3.529
    Final drive: 17/65; 16/65 ; 17/63
    Reverse: 1:12.419 / 1:13.194 / 1:12.036

2 valve injected:
    Euro cars are given with the same gear ratios as the US QVs
    US cars are given with the same gear ratios as US carbed.

This answers F-Chatter "italianjoe" post on page 3: the gear ratios of a US QVs and a US Carbed car are NOT the same. Even the final drive is different.

Rgds

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #82 nerofer, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Well...that's a difficult one to answer shortly. First, there are probably more knowledgeable people than me on the subject; second, to answer with authority one should have visited the Ferrari archives, which has not been my privilege. And I don't believe that there are many people who could say exactly what information they have...
    Along the last ten years I have exchanged information, lists, etc...with some friends and my impression (that is only an impression...) is that:

YES, the factory has some information on the fitment of parts to the cars as built, and for a big essential component as a gearbox, they know which one they put originally on most cars. They have more information after everything as been computerized (in 1984, I believe?) but they might surprise you from time to time with a lot of information on one specific car before that date as well; but it is not accessible to us, and furthermore, most information from the factory has to be paid for these days...

YES there is a logic, but unfortunately it is not easy to decipher, especially for the V8s of the 3x8 family, as there has been so many different variants of these engines: in fact, the V8 cars stopped the old "matching number" system, used mainly on the V12s, where a car has the same number for its chassis, engine and gearbox, i.e chassis "xasdr" with engine "xasdr" and gearbox "xasdr".

But for the V8s engines you have:
    Different cars: GT4s, then 308 GTBs, 308 GTs; 328s; Mondial 8, 2 valve injected, 4 valve; 3,2, etc...
    Four main evolutions: carbed, 2 valve injected, 4 valve injected, 3,2 litre;
    Difference in lubrification systems: dry sump for "euro" carbed engines on 308 GTBs, wet-sump on others.
    Difference between single and twin distributors.
    Difference with emission controls systems.
    Differences between the market versions: for instance, for the 3,2 engine, from the letter in the VIN: "X" for the catalysed "american engine; "W" for the "euro non cat" engine; "C" for the catalysed swiss engine.
    Plus some spare replacement engines that you might need for each type...

So you had different sequences of engines according to market, type, etc; different chassis; different gearbox.
    But nevertheless you still have one original engine, one original gearbox going into one original chassis; their numbers are no more "matching" in the sense of "being the same", but these are the original component of your car.
    My April 1989 328 GTB, # 81085, left the factory on April 5, 1989, with engine #17330 and gearbox 3916F106MB, which she still has today.

Even in series were the numerotation seems to be continuous, such as the V8s at the end of the eighties, there are "jumps" in numerotation that are puzzling: for instance, at about the chassis number #75500 for 328s, the engine number jumps from # 3300 to # 10000 (so there are no known 3.2 engine between 3300 and 10000). It is probably an internal decision to change sequences, but why?

So a logic there is. Only the factory will not explain it to you. And it is not that easy to decipher it: after many years of research on this forum, we still don't fully understand the Assembly Number sequences: 328 GTB #81085, built on April 5th, 1989, has Assembly Number "08", which makes no sense at all. It is not the 8th 328 GTB built, but probably the 1250th or so; it is not the 8th GTB built with "bulged wheels"; it is not the 8th GTB built in 1989 either; sometimes I Wonder if it is really a Ferrari?
    Those are small mysteries that are making the researches so interesting...

Rgds

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Golf clap, for that answer.....!!!!

I think, based upon the way the early 308s hit the USA/Canadian market, the approach of "batches" were used. Based upon the 'glass cars coming in, 20 sequential VINs in a row. That would indicate to me, that Ferrari had that similar number of motor/transmissions ready, for that nation's specification.

I will test the Factory knowledge someday, with my 1977 #22127:

It was sold new, to Canada (same specification as the USA, in those days, also called "North American" as the result).

My Warranty books, show the first owner driving happily along, worrying about trunk lid rattles, and slow wiper blades...when the engine EXPLODED, at 6,000 miles. It does not show he changed the oil, at 1,000 miles...
    :D :D :D

It was obviously replaced with great consternation with the next unit to be Air Freighted from the Factory, and one would think the Factory either kept records of that, or simply pulled the next one out of a designated USA batch, and tossed it at the problem!!

I suppose Classiche will know!

rjlloyd likes this.
  9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Because of the above, and the fact the paper records are now trash, the Factory today would only know your engine/transmission numbers are "about right" for the date of production.

dflett likes this.
  10. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    BigTex, I have #20817 with a build date as 1/77. My owners booklet is from a '76 I suspect because they hadn't printed the 77 version yet. Supposedly it shares some of the glass car components since it was a transition car in their run from glass to steel. Glass cars with higher numbers. Just trying to understand what I have, and this just seems like the perfect rabbit hole to ignore everything else with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No your guess is spot on!

The Manual did not change from 1976 in America (red cover with black horse, flag across top.

There is a "1977 insert" that was published, as the only real change (from memory) was the microswitch under the driver's seat, to kill the fuel pump if you crashed and were upside down (so a new wiring diagram reflected this device)

Also, if you notice your 1976 dash diagram call the upper RH amber lamp on the panel "SPARE"
    It was used going forward on the console CHOKE lever, to remind you not to run too far dumping extra gas via the CHOKE.

Bad things could happen!!
    I have the 1977 insert remind e to post it!

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Lots of glass parts remained in the early steel cars, front spoilers usually (although one of my cars had steel unit).

The interior floor was still glass, and the lower rear panels behind the rear wheels, are all glass parts.

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sorry for derail, while the OP tears things down.....

14. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Respectfully, in regard to carbed Euro 308 those speeds are way above what the factory quoted, not to mention at revs beyond the 7.5 redline? Are they for some modified gearbox?

15. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Huh... when I ordered a new rear valance for my car (when I first got it) and it arrived as vetro, I thought it was just one of those 'leftover'things - never knew that was the only option! Front spoiler is steel though :confused: Learn something new everyday... thanks!

16. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Those are what are known as theoretical speeds based purely on the gear ratios. In reality one would more then likely not see those as there are friction losses and most notably the lack of power to turn the gear box that fast for those speeds, unless you heavily modify the engine and aero of the vehicle.

17. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Thanks for the explanation!

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Very welcome!!

It helped to have three cars to look at...minor variations on every one!!

19. Sparky308

Sparky308 Rookie

Oct 8, 2017
    Full Name:
    Indrojit Sircar
    Hello gentlemen,

We are considering changing the housing. The number stamped on a housing we are looking at buying is F106AL 4348 78.

Was wondering if this would fit my our car or not. Request experts to please advice if it'll fit or not.

Thank you

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    If no reply t your thread, consult Ricambi USA our sponsor, or perhaps a PM to rifledriver, who deals with these cars since that time.

That appears to be the correct engine family and 78 to year!

How much do they want for it?
    Who is selling it, might be the easier question....welcome back!!

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There is not the "restless parts mods by year" on Ferraris.

I would say any gearbox between the 1975 308GT4 and the later cars, say 1980, would be an interchange.

22. Sparky308

Sparky308 Rookie

Oct 8, 2017
    Full Name:
    Indrojit Sircar
    1499 is the asking and it's from Tony Rozaddo on eBay.

23. Squirrelmonkey

Squirrelmonkey Karting

Dec 27, 2010
    Manitoba ,Canada
    Full Name:
    Tom Thieme
    There you have it ! You can clean it up and move on..Could have been worse..

24. Sparky308

Sparky308 Rookie

Oct 8, 2017
    Full Name:
    Indrojit Sircar
    Hello Gentlemen,

So finally planning to finish the work on the gearbox by Christmas. Need help with a source for the 4th Synchro and the 4th Synchro sleeve. Any leads would be appreciated :)

25. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    http://www.superformance.co.uk/308/gearbox.html