1979 Ferrari 512BB Chassis 27553 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1979 Ferrari 512BB Chassis 27553

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by samsaprunoff, Nov 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    It used to be my car. Rocks rebuilt the motor, interior, cooling etc. 10:5 pistons, 1.5mm over bore cams from carobu. etc. 388RWHP dynoed.
    Carbs were sent to CA. SS exhaust and manifolds etc.

2. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I think my 81 BB 35411 is one of the few (only?) full Carobu full engine rebuilds. Dyno’d at 471 hp with 399 torque.

3. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    You are correct, I did not have any head work, different jetting .The dyno numbers at the flywheel was about. 444

4. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    So this beauty sold for only $200k! Add the BaT seller commission, 2.5% import duty and broker fees all in would be less than $215k. Seems like a great car for a heck of a deal. Guess this belongs in the Boxers are Undervalued thread.

turbo-joe likes this.
  5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

there is a divergence in the car market, for many prices are softening, for others like the newish sls gullwing theyre hitting 300k, ford gts headed towards 500K. Boxers didnt make the cut.

Vipers are interesting, the last fo the series, if theyre "stock" looks like 130k, if theyre one of the special editions with performance pretensions is some cases different shocks and springs from factory then 200k, and the track versions which hardly anyone wanted, 3-400k.

What it tells you is many "collectors" are not car guys, they have no real understanding. Its all algorithems, thats what Hagerty and other price guides run by now also. Its why a 599 stick from the factory which by all accounts was not happy marriage and sucked is 750k but a regualrt 599 is 150k.

A boxer is certainly art, and classy art in a way a countach is not, its art in way that maybe the 288 was and then this big gap untill the 458. Even then a boxer is a car designed without compromise inherent in regulations. But to "collectors" its does nto have the right rep and theyre are many about. Lets not forget that in the early 70s 250SWB and GTO were just clapped out used cars, very few understood. I remember reading about someone in 1977 trading their 72 daytona for a crap new vette.

The boxer needs something to lift it and put it on the radar screens not just of those who drive and know, but also on the radar of "collectors". I dont know what that thing is, but thats whats missing. probably have to be the car in a cool movie depicting the era. Can you see Tom Cruise playing a playboy's from the 70s picking up a boxer at the factory and saying this is the best car or fastest car money can buy, picture the boxer then winding though the hills or Maranello. Within 6 months boxers will be hot.

Why is a Ghibli 1/3 the price of a DB6. The DB6 is neiter fast not good looking compared to a DB5 or a ghibli?.

6. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Not sure I will live long enough to see Boxer values be more in line with the rest of the exotic car market. Had a Dino for a while. Kept it for a while but when it doubled in value I sold it. And I don't miss it that much as pretty as it is [Platinum car too]. Nothing like the induction roar of the BB in my garage. A real-man's car imho.