1980 308 that is not fuel injected | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1980 308 that is not fuel injected

Discussion in '308/328' started by Choptop400, Aug 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
  2. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
  3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Very early injected 308.

Without knowing the chassis number, you know it's an early 80 model because of the silver spoked Nardi.

That steering wheel is correct for that time in manufacture. Ferrari went to black a little later that model year, probably because they thought it matched better to the new black anodized instrument dash plate thing, whatever it's called.

Hannibal308 likes this.
  4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I like it.

Best of both worlds in my book ( I like the cosmetics of the injected cars) plus the sound etc of the carbed model.

Cool car. I would own it in a heartbeat.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Needs a new emergency brake plastic handle

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Not necessarily an injected car. I have seen a few late carb cars with this exact interior setup.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    But we know this particular car came with an injection motor

8. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    It appears to have a fuel enrichment operator based on the photo.

Attached Files:

9. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The last remaining detail to determine then was this only a top end change to carburettors, or a complete engine switch. I am betting that there was an engine failure along the way, outside of warranty, and the then owner found and installed a carbureted engine.

If the warranty card is still with the car and the engine number was filled in, we would have the answer.

10. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    They also made the effort to install a Choke control label in place of the right hand vent control label, if not originally carbed 308.

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #36 Steve Magnusson, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    What is the engine family marking on the top of the block at cylinder #1? The engine serial number shown there would also be helpful.

The airbox is from a '78-'79 US 308.

The 1-4 camcover is from a '78-'79 US 308 or a '80-'82 US 308 (so not a 1980 euro 308 carb engine).

12. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    Thank you for the detailed info. I am going with an engine replacement. I might just go see the 308 again and get the engine number and chassis number to close the file on this once and for all. The price is great for the over all condition, but not for a non-numbers matching 308.

13. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #38 Martin308GTB, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Aha.... 'Classiche words'. I'm pretty sure, you still remember the real truth.
    But thanks. I again learned how to handle such info in the future.

For others, who can't follow: This information and a bit more I got from Ferrari via old fashioned letter correspondence back in the year 2000. For free prior to Classiche BS, etc.

And I forwarded it to all who were interested.

Best
    Martin

14. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    Truth and nothing but the dam truth, but the truth is never as colorful as the story tellers version.

15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Classiche still have a record with the building data of every single 308 produced: the problem is they ask money for those info and they give them just to the car owner.

16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    But you still know, that you got the initial info from me?

Best
    Martin

17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Yes: they were confirmed (by words) by the Classiche service, as I spoke with them directly. They were very kind and confirmed what there is written in your letter, plus they told me many other things: just about my car, of course.

Please don't forget where your letter came from: it didn't came from a grocery shop, it came from Ferrari and from the same database that Classiche has.

ciao

18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Yes Alberto,

it was some effort during the almost-pre-internet-era to solve the mystery regarding my #34379, while all sources still claimed #34349 as the very last carb GTB. I actually worried about having purchased a converted 2V-i-car because of the BS in all the books.
    Even more effort being abroad and being no italian speaker. Therefore I was somehow positively surprised to get the info from Ferrari a few weeks after my inquiry. And it was for free.
    Therefore I was not amused to read a post, which give the impression, that someone else has dug out the informations regarding the five very last built carb GTBs.
    While some historians still talk BS about our so-called 'post-series-cars'.

So for absolution tell me the mentioned details about your car :) I have still no explanation, why your second to last car has an earlier engine no. #16xx than my fourth last with #17xx.

Best Regards
    Martin

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If you like the car, buy it.

"numbers matching" sounds too Corvette

Formula Uno likes this.
  20. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Is there such a thing as a numbers matching 308? I thought that there was no method to the madness when it came to the engine number.

21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Yes and no.

It is only important if you want it to be important. Some of the most significant cars in Ferraris history dont have the original motor. They were swapped by a customer or the factory decades ago while they were raced. Some were reunited some weren't.

They are still million dollar automobiles.

For a 1980 308 it isn't a significant value problem because the car is just not worth that much to begin with relatively speaking to other models.

I like that car. I would buy it and have no issue with the motor. Hell, I would rather have the carbs now after living with a QV for 20 yrs

22. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    you were lucky to have all those info for free: Good times! Now they wouldn't answer anymore. I already wrote it several times and it's an off topic, but as you asked directly here you are what they told me about 34465. Chassis painted in red, then stripped when they got the blue color sale order and painted in blu sera metallizzato and sent to the assembly line where the car got a 17XX drysump engine. Then road tested : The 17XX engine failed the road test and was removed, replaced with 1690 drysump spare engine that is the engine the car was delivered with.

23. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have two 1980 service manual, one Carb and one FI.

24. markc

markc Rookie

Apr 30, 2004
    31959 US car 1980 with verticle gauges, horse on ashtray, 14” wheels, silver steering wheel, black dash, Gts on fuse panel cover, Gtsi on rear, injected, April 1980 build, 6 digit odometer. I love it!