1980-82 Two Valve Injected - The "Rodney Dangerfield" of the 308 series? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1980-82 Two Valve Injected - The "Rodney Dangerfield" of the 308 series?

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Jan 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    I have a 1981 GTSi which I purchased new. I have had this car now for 23 years, and will never part with it. Lets face it, all Ferrari's have issues. We learn to live with them, they are like women you either love or move on from. My 2 cents.

2. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    yeah but if you part with a car problem, the car is gone, if you part with a wife problem, the house and the car is gone :)

3. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Wow! I hope she does not read this.

4. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Original owner of an '81 308... very cool!

5. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    It's the longest and most fun relationship I have had!(not counting my wife)

6. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Just received my latest copy of Forza magazine, which contains a "Market Report" on the 308 series. Imagine my utter lack of surprise to see the author, Michael Sheehan, damning the 1980-82 2V "i" models in print once again, calling their engine performance "less than adequate".

Sigh.

For reference, I pulled out my Road and Track test of the then-new 308 GTSi, as first published in the March 1981 issue, since this would seem to be a good resource for a critique comparison of the then-new injected engine vs. the preceding carb version. This R&T article is full of positive comments about the progress made in driveability due to the injection system (direct quote: "The "i" stands for "improved"), but here's their punchline: "(... these injection engine changes) allow the 308 i to maintain the same performance level that existed before. Horsepower and torque (205 bhp, 191 lb-ft) remain unchanged".

Indeed.

Let me get this straight: The USA spec 2V "i" versions have the SAME horsepower and torque ratings, as delivered from the factory, as their earlier carb brethren which they replaced. Yet it is the "i" version which is consistently criticized by the so-called "experts" as having "less than adequate" power, with no such derogatory comments ever directed towards those earlier carb cars which had identical horsepower ratings?

To be fair, I note that some of the earlier USA spec carb cars did have higher horsepower than the later carb versions due to smog requirements. I am comparing here the 1980 "i" version to the 1979 carb version which immediately preceded it.

Further, this same Forza article also reviews the 206 / 246 Dinos. Not one word is made of the earlier 206's performance being "less than adequate" as compared to the newer 246 series, which came from the factory with 15 hp more than the 206 Dino!

Anyone else see a double standard at work here?

Finally, to place this issue into some historical context, let's compare the 308 "i" engine power output as a function of engine displacement to some of its major 1980 competitors of that day:

Ferrari 308 GTSi ---- 205 Hp from 3.0 liter = 68 Hp / liter
    Porsche 911 SC ---- 172 Hp from 3.0 liter = 57 Hp / liter
    Porsche 928 ---- 219 Hp from 4.5 liter = 49 Hp / liter
    Chevy Corvette ---- 220 Hp from 5.7 liter = 39 Hp / liter

So, it can clearly be seen that the engine performance per liter of the 308 "i" series was significantly higher in all cases than other similar sports cars of this era.

In spite of all of this, it's always the "i" versions that bear the unfair brunt of the 308 criticism.

DM

7. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I love my 80i and get nothing but thumbs up and "nice car!" and "whoa a Ferrari!" and "Hey Magnum where's TC?".

Only place anyone even discusses the '80-'82 thing is on here or when i call somewhere about service or parts.

I've got no need to convince other owners of the virtues of my '80. They don't have to appreciate it the way i do.

It's an uphill battle i don't care to fight.

I wouldn't take their worn carpets and leather and nics and chips and dirty engine bay for my "like new" looking car.

8. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had an '80 2v 308 and loved it! It had a Borla exhaust (without cats) and sounded great! wish I could have kept it in the stable as I wanted to get a 328, so I had to sell.. As conditions changed (fast forward to now) I should have kept her!..
    Don't get discouraged by these nay-sayers, the technology is constantly changing! That's why there's a constant change in the world land speed record.. The 308 is a beautiful car...enjoy!

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    They are rated the same as the 78-79 carb cars at 205...but they only ever made 195. They are the slowest of the the 308 series and the prices reflect that. The injection is less finicky than the carb and many people like that...but they tend to buy the QVs that have the injection and hp.

10. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Well, as a new owner of a QV, I can tell you that the QV is not a rocket ship either. I love my little QV, only owned it about 2 weeks and already had lengthy conversations with strangers at gas stations and grocery stores. Its a great little car. But I owned a 2000 Porsche Boxster S before, just sold to complete the deal on my QV, and it would blow the doors off of my QV. That shouldnt be surprising, since there is 16 years difference between the 2 cars.

I drove an early 2V carb GT4, and it had a much better feel "performance wise", even if its the so-called "not-a-ferrari" dino.

All that said, the 2V i cars are STILL Ferraris (as is the GT4), so be proud and drive it like its meant to be driven.

James in Denver

11. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Well, those early i cars probably will always bear that brunt of criticism.

But, in the scheme of things, you 2V injected owners are probably the wisest of all here. You got the looks, the drive, the experience, the engine, the reliability and the lifestyle plus a great deal. (Though I must say my old carb 308 has always started and never stranded me in the relatively short time I have owned it despite the shortcomings of its owner :) ).

For the life of me I cannot understand any questions or concerns regarding performance in any of the 308 or 328 series. It's just slow and slower.

I say enjoy it in good health.

Seamus

12. seschroeder

seschroeder Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    I too have a 1982 2V. I really enjoy it. Starts first time every time. Since the 2vcars are "relatlively" inexpensive many were purchased and NOT taken care of or properly maintained. If noy careful one gets to do the last five owners maintainance. I've, of course, heard the story concerning oil consumption. It would be interesting to learn a way to see if the engine in a car has been replaced. I haven't as many records as I would like.

13. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Part of maturing is separating your mindset from the pissing-contests of those who will never grow up.

I bought my GTBi 2v 10 years ago because my kids told me my old clunker was an embarrassment...
    so to quiet them up, I looked in the newspaper and saw a Ferrari...wrote the guy a check without driving it,
    without any research, didn't know what a PPI was. Kind of like buying an old Buick.
    So I don't qualify as any kind of car expert. I enjoy a fantastic red car which
    has none of the anecdotal mysteries of oil consumption, electrical faults, etc.

All I say is avoid those who can't sleep unless theirs is 'longer' than yours, or more powerful,
    or has better 'investment value'. etc etc etc.
    They travel among us but do they experience the real joy? It's not for me to say.
    Incidentally, the first sign of 'them' is their having to have the last word.

14. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    My brother kept the extra speedometer from his '80 showing about 8,000 miles after they replaced the motor. The motor was replaced presumably due to the "oil consumption" issue. A new speedometer was installed when the authorized dealer put the new motor in. He was not the owner when the motor was replaced but they were courteous enough to return the original. It conveyed with the car when my brother bought it. After he sold it he kept the old speedometer.

He is an honest person but one can easily see how it's easy for low mileage cars to appear.

Seamus

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Normal people in the real world can't tell the difference. Hell, my black 328 got at least one 'Magnum' comment. 1982 was longer ago than anyone under 30 would remember anyway.

The reason to go with a QV would be that, in Ferrari terms, the price difference is trivial. Also, it's hard to say 'quattrovalvole!!!' without having hot women crowd around you.

16. jon s

jon s Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    pocasset ma
    Full Name:
    jon shoukimas MD
    dave: the high startup revs on the 2 valve i engines is a very easy fix. and otherwise the fuel injection system is one of the most reliable ever made by bosch and easy to fix. i've had my 81 gtsi for 4 years and i love the car, slow or not. pm me and i'll tell you how to fix the cold high revs. jon s.

17. DKHIGHPERF

DKHIGHPERF Rookie

Aug 9, 2006
    Franklin, WI.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If anybody is that unhappy with their "i" and their suffering from QV envy, I'll gladly take it off your hands for $10k

DKHIGHPERF

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have been a crusader for the 80-82 2Vi since I saw my first in the spring of 81. There is nothing wrong with those cars. Want speed? Buy a Corvette.

I have a QV. Lets go stoplight to stoplight and see how much difference there is with a 2V... None. The difference is only going to be noticed between 60-100. I don't know about you guys but I don't drive around town with the throttle to the floor and 7700 rpm shifts between 60 and 100 so I am not seeing that difference much these days. Top speed? No difference. Seriously, give me a show of hands; I want to know how many of us have seen the redline in 5th gear AND how long were you there? Really. How many times? Enough to make you pass over the 81 model for an 84 model? So what if your car can go 5 mph faster on paper? What if my 81 is tuned better and the weather is cooler and I am in Florida (sea level). Are you going to have a faster QV in Colorado in the hot summer? What's the practical point?

Lets talk about the oil burning issue for a minute. Instead of one qt every 700 miles you will burn 2 every 900 miles. Wow. What's that, about $20 more a year operating costs considering how much they get driven typically? Besides, it's a dice throw if the 2V you are looking to buy will even do it. Some didn't. AND if it is an "oil burner" are you going to worry that the engine may blow up? Why? because it has only lasted 25-27 years so far? Boy I'd be worried everyday too.

See my point? On paper in R&T or C&D 25 years ago there are some performance differences. When you get in, start it and drive off in 2007 there are none to speak of. The only way to feel the differences in the driver's seat is to do things that you really never do anyway.

19. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I have a euro spec 1982 308 2v 'i' and absolutely love it. Being a euro model the horsepower is not that far off from a 4v US car and it weighs a lot less without the smog equip and the big bumpers, so power to weight ratio should be better. Any way I bought this car because I wanted the easy of injection and I wanted a euro model regardless. If I could have found a Euro 4v in great condition that was not red I would have purchased it, but instead I found a superb 2v euro model that was silver at the right time. It is funny reading the Forza article and them saying '308s have adaquate power, except for the 2v injected cars" when the difference is so little and nothing at all compared to most carb cars, only the very early cars that did not suffer from emissions had more HP.

20. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Well, I have to concur with everything said so far on this thread. I can't justify the price hike for 16 more valves and a fairly minute power difference. I went from a Dino GT4 to the GTSi for many of the same reasons that everyone else has mentioned (tired of fiddling with carbs, improved electronics, etc...) and while the carbed cars are more 'pure', you can't dispute that, the injected cars are more than adequate for enjoyable driving and will run 100+ all day long on the interstates without complaint. I will say that the rustproofing of the QVs is certainly a bonus, particularly if you live in climates such as South Florida, where there is salt in the air, but if you're on point about keeping your car out of the wet and after washing it, make sure to dry it thoroughly (open the doors, let any water drip out, maybe even take the car for a run to dry it out even more) you'll keep rust at bay for a long time on an un-galvanized car. It's too bad that guys like Michael Sheehan are so stuck up about certain things. They fail to recognize that the GT4, 2Vi, 400i, 456, etc....are great cars....they're Ferraris, and that those of us who own them had to work hard to put them in our garages. Sure, we could spend the equivalent $25-$30K on something else with more performance, but we chose a Ferrari for many of the same reasons as those with more money to spend on their play cars do. Not to mention, I'd say that owners of classic Ferraris are purists, who do wrench on their own cars, unlike modern F-car owners (sure the modern cars limit what one can do....but probably far fewer F430 owners change their own oil than 308 owners do). All in all, I don't care what the snobs say, I like my 2 valve 308 because it's the right car for ME. Since I just sold my 400i, I could sell my 2 valve 308 and pool the cash together and buy a QV or 328 but I don't have any desire to do so. My car has gained my trust, after the 3,200 mile run to Miami and back this past March. And when you've found a 25 year old Italian sports car that will run that reliably, you don't give it up!

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi

21. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I know there are beautiful QV's out there but every near perfect looking car i saw was an "i" car.

If i'd found a QV as nice cosmetically as mine it would have been at a dealer like Shelton or Algar and have been 45K or so. I had the smog pumps and cats removed and the power is great at high revs.

Short of a major engine rebuild these cars are more expensive to restore cosmetically than they are mechanically IMO.
    If your engine goes bump in the night chances are your gonna fix it but if your paint and carpet and leather are old are you gonna pay to get it up to par????? Prolly not.

I've still not found a 308 in as nice shape as mine cosmetically..i paid a good bit less than 30k for mine with a recent reciept from Ron Tarkin for $9000 including a gearbox rebuild, belts and oil cooler. All hoses including coolant, fuel, and oil are new. $7000 paint job too. Leather and carpet are near perfect.

Would i have paid 10k more for a well worn QV????...NO WAY!!!

22. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    The part which is especially galling here is that the author of the new Forza piece is Michael Sheehan.

Michael is widely quoted in the popular press as a "leading Ferrari expert", so what he says automatically has lots of credibility. And, if Michael says in print that these cars are dogs, then, by gosh and by golly, they for sure must be dogs.

With no disrespect intended, does it really matter to ME what Michael thinks of my personal car? Of course not. My ego is not that fragile. But what does irritate me is that his word once again perpetuates this stereotype. It will be widely reported as Gospel, having an effect on the market which will be hard, if not impossible, to alter.

Given an imaginary budget of, let's say, $35,000 USD, one can likely purchase a pretty nice QV. Or, for this same money, one can instead buy a pretty nice 2V "i" and have budget money left over for upgrades and extras. To me, this second scheme is the more clever approach of the two. But of course, other folks will differ in their opinion, and more power to them.

Trying to look at all sides, I suppose that this whole deal can be construed as Good News for potential 2V "i" buyers, as this keeps their purchase prices artificially low. But it's Bad News for those of us who are current owners, looking forward to that day (perhaps, as in my case, many years from now) when it is time to sell.

Cheers - DM

P.S. - I will be composing a polite letter to the editor of Forza, briefly summarizing these thoughts. Wanna take bets as to whether or not they'll publish it in a future issue?

23. Papa Duck

Papa Duck Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I bought my 1981 308 GTSi in 1981 and have loved every minute in it. I know it is not the fastest thing on the road and I have to laugh when every kid in a Honda or SUV has to pass me so they can feed their egos. Little do they know that most modern cars have more HP that I do. In the years I have had it I have had two parts failures. First was the electric cooling fan motor (Lucas) and the second was the smog pump (GM). No Ferrari failures yet.

The one thing I would change would be the TRX wheels. Tire technology has come so far in 25 years that the "stones" I have on the car can't be driven hard enough to really see what the car would do.

24. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Oh the other great thing about euro cars is they had 16" wheels as an option for the 2v cars, I don't understand why in the US they waited until the QV.

25. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005

I believe it was possible to get 16" wheels w/ Pirelli P7s on USA cars prior to the QV cars.... Some have original 16" wheels but are rarer surprisingly..