1980-82 Two Valve Injected - The "Rodney Dangerfield" of the 308 series? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

1980-82 Two Valve Injected - The "Rodney Dangerfield" of the 308 series?

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Jan 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    +308(i)

2. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    When I began my search for a 308 I figured I would buy an "i" car. The fact that it may turn out to be a little bit cheaper was, in fact, a positive to me because at the end of the day it is still an iconic car that sounds fantastic and screams Ferrari!!!

PDG

3. spgribben007

spgribben007 Karting

Nov 11, 2010
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve Gribben
    Own a red/black 82 308 GTSi and enjoying every mouth open stare!

4. mcaputo

mcaputo Rookie

Nov 28, 2007
    canada
    Full Name:
    mike c
    I own a black 1980 308 gtsi and love it. All the bull**** about the extra horsepower in the QV Models is nonsense. Look at the production numbers and see what model will be worth more dollars in the years to come.

5. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I'm not so sure that dollar value will be based solely on production numbers. . . but I hope so! ;)

Actually, I did not buy my Ferrari as an investment. In fact, it's my contention that it's almost never a good idea to purchase a car - even a Ferrari - as an investment.

I bought a 1982 308 GTBi in 2001 because I wanted a 308 GTB and because it was affordable. While I could see myself being quite happy with an earlier carb car, I really prefer not to have to worry about adjusting the fuel system.

I've found the Bosch K-Jetronic system, which was also installed on two of my other cars, to be very user friendly. So far, I have not even had to touch it on my 308.

I don't care if some of today's SUV's and minivans are actually "faster." They're still not as much fun to drive.

I also believe that real driving is much, much more than just going fast. I find that my 308 is a true "driver's car," with fantastic handling in the twisties and the potential to sharpen and hone one's skills without the need to break the law (much ;) .)

I prefer a good, two-seats-and-an-engine sports car that requires the driver to do some real thinking and some real work to a similar modern "Drive-By-Wire" car with electronic nannies to keep you out of trouble - even if the more modern car makes twice as much hP.

Finally, I believe that the 308 GTB (in any incarnation) is simply the most beautiful car ever made. Not trying to start any arguments, but I've got what I love; you've got what you love.

BTW, I think that it's really the emissions equipment, not whether the car has carbs or FI, that accounts for any difference in hP. Some have solved this problem, at least partially, by removing the cats. Since I can't do that here in Colorado with my 1982, I've instead installed Hyper-Flows - next best thing to straight pipes. I recommend them very highly to anyone with a 2v "i" car.

I've also found that, no matter what you have, someone can look down on it: "Oh, it's just a 2-valve;" "Oh, it's just a 308 QV;" "Oh, it's just a 328/348/355/360/eight cylinder;" "Oh, it's just an F40, not an F40LM" etc., etc.

I could not care less if someone else puts my car down for whatever reason. It's my car and I love it.

6. mcaputo

mcaputo Rookie

Nov 28, 2007
    canada
    Full Name:
    mike c
    I total agree with you comments, enjoy you car.

7. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Thanks! You too. :)

8. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    Preach it, brother!

9. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    I have had my 81 308 GTSi for 30 years. I still enjoy her as much now as the first day when I picked her up from the dealer. To top it off, she is still just as perfect now as she was then!

10. spgribben007

spgribben007 Karting

Nov 11, 2010
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve Gribben
    Wow, you got it brand new? I'm curious how many other 308 owners have purchased their Ferrari brand new and still enjoying it??

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    This certainly would have been discussed previously - in what ways are Euro injected models "better" than their US brethren?

Seeing that Euro models are generally lighter and more powerful, and injected models are the bargain of the group - that might be a good option.

12. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    I've been thinking about another Ferrari but my 1980 308GTSi is staying. People can rag on a 2Vi 308 all they want, but I love mine. My car is one of the very earliest injected cars and had the engine replaced in 1982 as part of the factory recall with a new motor that was flown over from Italy. My motor doesn't burn excessive oil and it is really peppy.

13. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Great to see someone showin' some love for the lowly 2v cars! I LOVE mine. I spend the money to maintain it and it's fantastic, no leaks, no problems! Cheers everyone!

14. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    #89 Dino246gt, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. CaptOharry

CaptOharry Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2009
    Green Cove Spgs FL
    Full Name:
    Harry Welch
    Looks like you have a collection going on in that Garage, Dennis.

16. PittsS2APilot

PittsS2APilot Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #91 PittsS2APilot, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I bought my 1980 2vi 4 years ago and Ive had to defend her honor on here a few times myself. BUT.... I took the money I saved over getting a QV or Webber car back then to update the avionics in my airplane. Both still turn heads where ever I go! I drove the 308 to the airport today and pulled some G's in the Pitts. God I love this country! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    No collection of mine, paid secure storage for 200 cars, heated, rodent controlled and 24 hr. security on site, less than 2 miles from home.

18. fernandel

fernandel Rookie

Feb 13, 2011
    i dreamed about 308 since i was kid, i got mine few months ago from user woody6, it is a beautifull dark gray on tan gtsi '82 and i love it! i like the gtsi /quattrovalvole interior more than the old carb and sure i would prefear more common red on tan but i love this car

19. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I LOVE 'Under Dogs.'

I rooted for Rocky, Conner and Tr***.

:)

That will kill the convo dead rigjt there. ;)

20. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I, too, dreamed of a 308 since I was a kid. What I wanted was a GTB.

In 2001, I found one that I could afford. It's a 1982 two-valve, but I couldn't care less about the comparative lack of power.

The 308 is simply the most beautiful automobile ever created. They look good in any color at all; unlike most other cars, they even look good in blue or in white.

Mine is Argento Nurburgring (silver), with a red leather interior. I had always envisioned the ubiquitous red and tan, but the longer I own my silver car, the more I love it. Hey, it's good to be a bit different.

Fernandel, I would take grey on tan over red on tan any day. The longer you keep your car, the more you will love it.

21. fernandel

fernandel Rookie

Feb 13, 2011
    Thanks Bradley, i thought of wrapping the car in red before to buy and immediately after,
    but i like it and its colour more and more every new day, ok it's not the red/tan Magnum's car i dreamed about when i was fifteen years old but it's, she is, mine!

22. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    #97 tinterow, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    I Love Rodney! I even worked with him many years ago. Relentless performer...just like my 1980 308 GTSi :)

23. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    I started this thread almost 13 years ago now, and rereading post #1, my comments still ring true to me!

24. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    My 83 308 QV also has the "slow down" lights on either side of the steering wheel.

I thought all 308s have them?

25. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I don't think being "down on power" really matters on these cars any more. Its about the driving experience and each of us are very lucky to get to drive these.

PDG

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk