1980-82 Two Valve Injected - The "Rodney Dangerfield" of the 308 series? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

1980-82 Two Valve Injected - The "Rodney Dangerfield" of the 308 series?

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Jan 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There's one on BaT right now if you can stomach the typical comments from the peanut gallery

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    EVERY 3X8 is down on power by today's Honda Accord standards.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Only the ones with 2 cats

84 and 85 had one cat so the two lights on each side of the steering column were removed on those 2 model years.

4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    +1

ciao

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    absolutely

I didn't want a 308 because I thought it was fast. In fact, performance was not even part of the equation. I wanted a 308 because I wanted a 308.

rob likes this.
  6. PeteyDaddy

PeteyDaddy Karting

May 25, 2017
    Funny I was going to help my dad sell his 81 and borrowed it to take photos and list it. I drove it for 2 weeks straight and absolutley LOVED it and bought it from him. I have a few other cars both modern and classics and it's just a damn good car all around that makes me smile. It typifies what you want from a Ferrari. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

waymar and 308 milano like this.
  7. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
  8. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    They're just great cars!! And incredibly beautiful. Some of the comments regarding performance are just odd. For their day, for their displacement, they move out just fine. I used to drive mine back in the day when Ferrari club driving events would have a dozen or so 308's 3 or 4 TR's maybe half a dozen front engine V-12's, and nothing slow about them. The hillclimb was a rolling dyno test and test of driving skill. Losing speed scrubbing corners needed HP to recover, and a 2-valve injected 308 was always at the top of the pack. If you look at newer machinery like the Mercedes GT / GTS / GTR, these are incredibly strong, but a dry sump, direct injection, 4.0 liter twin turbo with intercooler just isn't a fair comparison to many older cars, so why talk down on any of the 3X8 Ferrari's?

Well, I'm excited to go take my '81 308 for a drive. It's sunny, and there's a windy road with my name on it.:)

rjlloyd likes this.
  9. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Agreed, I don't think any one of us bought our 308's for their speed. Its a iconic timeless design that sold me.....

10. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    In my opinion this is the key get out and drive try different examples and buy what you like. Who cares what anybody else thinks!