1980 Ferrari 512BB Chassis 30967 | FerrariChat

1980 Ferrari 512BB Chassis 30967

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by samsaprunoff, Feb 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

In the continued spirit to document our cars, here is some info on 30967 that I found on the Hemmings site:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ferrari/512bb/2214651.html

There are certainly more BBs and BBi's on hemmings, but sadly I do not have enough time to document them all.

Cheers,

Sam

1980 Ferrari 512BB
    Color: Black Exterior with Boxer trim with Creme/Black Interior
    Mileage: 28000 KM
    Chassis: 30967
    Engine: 00589

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
  3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I have been in contact with someone that looked at it in person today and its not as good in person. Paint has some defects and dents. Interior light is hanging by its wires, dash needs redoing. Engine was rebuilt in 2002 after an overheat but no note about replacing the exhaust valves in the receipts which should be done. No service since 2002, no brake fluid flush since, needs tires due to age.

Its suggested by the seller that its original paint. I disagree for a few reasons. No boxer trim, lacquer paint wont last that long and look shiny and the fiat X-19 mirrors are mounted right up against the belt mouldings yet there's no previous holes for the vitaloni mirrors it would've had?

Without seeing it in person I can't say much more but it appears to be a numbers matching car.

No wiper arm either and its lost.

33guana likes this.
  4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #4 Newman, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2019
    $320K USD firm. I think $270K makes more sense considering it'll need $30K to get it up to snuff and still have the wrong mirrors on it (in the wrong location).

33guana likes this.
  5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    On a positive note! Its black and no DOT, OEM rims and I assume not creamed in the past.

33guana likes this.
  6. 33guana

33guana Karting

Dec 12, 2006
    Thank You for your very useful posts, I agree with You regarding the value of the car, 17 years without service is very scary...

7. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I am the person that Newman refers to as having looked at the car. First off I'd like to say that Newman's comments are his own and shouldn't be confused with mine. I looked at the car first hand and Newman only saw some pictures that I sent him. I don't proclaim to be an expert on Boxers or Ferraris for that matter but I have owned seven Ferraris so far, so I've bought them, sold some and been around quite a few of them.

I looked over the car thoroughly and I have to say it could be original paint or it could not be, I honestly could not tell. There were no signs that I COULD see that told me it had been repainted. The seller is a very stand up guy that also happens to be highly, highly accomplished and respected in the motorsports world. He knows cars and has a very impressive collection. He has in fact owned this car since 1983 and I believe he represents the car to the best of his ability, with knowledge and history accumulated over the last 36 years of ownership. Are the mirrors original? I don't know if they are or not but the owner has reason to believe they are and I have no reason to doubt him, again I am not an expert. If someone on this forum is thinking of looking at this car, do your own research, but I can speak to the fact that this is one of, if not the best example I've looked at and I've looked at quite a few Boxers in the US and Europe recently.

I'd also like to add that I had the opportunity to experience the car on the road and mechanically it performed flawlessly which was no surprise knowing the owners background. Although it hasn't had a major in many years its not a car that has been forgotten about or neglected with no use. This one has been used sparingly but exercised just enough, about once every month, to get all the fluids up to temp and parts moving which I believe is the best thing for cars this age. Save the major for when the next buyer really wants to enjoy it, which will be the case here.

So why didn't I buy it? I can honestly say only because I didn't like the crème / black color combination in real life. Purely a subjective decision on my part, because when you're spending $300+K on a car you better get one you really want. I would highly recommend serious buyers look at this car and make up their own minds, because seeing it in front of you is the only way to judge these classic Ferraris.

darth550 and turbo-joe like this.
  8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Solid.

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Just adding doc...

Chassis 30967 is now on Ebay with an asking price of $267.5K USD. In Feb 2019 the price was apparently $320K USD Firm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Ferrari-512BB-/274664826177

Cheers,

Sam