1980's Radio | FerrariChat

1980's Radio

Discussion in '308/328' started by ModenaInv, Mar 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ModenaInv

ModenaInv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2014
    South West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dave
    What were the popular radios back in the mid 1980's? I have an 84 308 and was wondering what radios were commonly installed when these cars were new. Would like to find a period correct radio for my car. Thanks

2. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    There are a number of threads in various places on this topic. It was a function of the dealer and the owner as to what actual radio was selected. In my case (‘85) the original owner confirmed it was a Blaupunkt, and I found a nice Blaupunkt Tucson on eBay. I had Goodman Audio, the original installer of radios for Algar near Philadelphia, install it along with a period correct amp (under the passenger foot panel) and connectors. I probably went over the top a bit.

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    ModenaInv likes this.
  4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Alpine, Blaupunkt were on the high end. Mid-priced but also good were Sony, Technics. Pioneer and Kenwood were sort of lower-end.

Integrated FM/AM/CD units didn't really become widely available until around late '88-89 or so; nearly all decks were cassette, and CD players were either standalone (double DIN) or a separate unit in the trunk.

Despite the current popularity of "2 shaft" units, back in the early-mid '80s they were considered old tech by most people, and DIN units were far preferred. More features, and installation didn't require drills and hacksaws. (Personally I always though the 2-shaft units were visually unappealing, as well.)

Ferrari didn't ship cars with stereos, so as long as you're period-correct nothing will really be "wrong". Ebay is a great source; search for vintage car stereos.

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The Blaupunkts of the 80's had tape decks, no CD players (I think a cartridge type CD player was introduced in 1989). Most old Blaupunkts with tape decks can be easily wired to accept
    an MP3 player.

The key to looking stock is for the digital screen to be lit to match the intrument colour, either green or orange depending on the year of Ferrari.

Blaupunkt has reissued a modernized old style unit designed for the 80's-90's classic cars. It has the display colour choices which includes the green tha should match the 1984 dash lighting. It does not have the orange that would match the later 328 cars orange lighting.

https://www.blaupunkt.com/en/nc/products/car-multimedia/car-radio/products/single/19059/

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    QV308 and ModenaInv like this.
  7. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Mine for an '83 was an Alpine 8347. It has an alpine amp, but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment so I'm not sure of the model #.

I've replaced it with a simple Pioneer unit with iphone interface & blutooth since I rarely use the radio anyway.

8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Alpine in my 85 Euro QV. Never turn it on though.

9. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    BLACK HORSE, QV308 and moysiuan like this.
  10. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I recall in the mid 80's seeing several new Australian delivered 308 QV's dealer fitted with the Clarion E950 or E951: http://antique-autoradio-madness.org/clarion/clarion-1983/clarion-1983_1.htm
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

For a period correct radio I personally quite like the Eurovox MCC (Micro Command) models, but these were a local Australian market only unit. Around 1984 the Eurovox MCC range was OE fitment on Australian delivered Alfa-Romeo, BMW, Porsche, and GM Holden models (and several other imported brands too).

Grim Reaper tr likes this.
  11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #11 Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    The Ferrari dealers LOVED Blaupunkt back in the late 70's and first half of the 80's. All the ones I saw back between 81 and 83 had the CR3001. If someone owned an 80 to 82 308, putting in a CR001 will never be "incorrect".

My 84 308 had a Blaupunkt Aspen installed by the dealer in April 84 (I have the invoice).

Andrew McCrae and QV308 like this.
  12. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    There may be some other old threads on this topic but I’ll post again. My car has an Alpine 7273, 3310 equalizer, 8101 alarm, and the odd ball is a Kenwood kec1100 amp.
    My center console was made custom by the previous owner. I’ve been contemplating going back to original but I’ll need to find an installer that I trust.

13. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    In Italy usually there were Pioneer (most) and Blaupunkt (minority). As written many times, they were all dealer installed. Only the early 208 turbo 1982 -1985 came out as standard with a radio Pioner KEH something (with the digital clock, as the car hasn't anymore the clock, replaced by the turbo boost gauge) but I had one with a Blaupunkt and it was the first radio ever installed.

Ciao

QV308 likes this.
  14. ModenaInv

ModenaInv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2014
    South West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks everyone, that's great information.

15. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I can add that Ferrari also used Pioneer KE4300b in the 512 bbi from 1981 (Also included was a Pioneer equalizer). That corresponds very well with your statement above Albert.

Best regards Peter

Albert-LP and QV308 like this.
  16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Yes, BB512i shown in 1981 Quattroruote Italian magazine road test had thatPioneer Radio with equalizer. Issue: November. But BB left the factory with a radio, 308 only with the radio delete cover, antenna and speakers: you had to buy a radio by your own (usually dealer did it for you as a present)

Ciao

pshoejberg likes this.
  17. magnesium

magnesium Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    The Pioneer from a 512 is the one to have IMO and a good quality item. There's always this Sharp - period correct although the advert provides only a tenuous link.

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I remember that ad

19. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    Can anyone advise / show picture of where the 3001 amplifier was mounted in a 308 ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  21. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    who would of thought 328's came with headlight washers!! (sweden) thanks for the info and pictures of different options

22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  23. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    i've never turned mine on in 13yrs.:D

24. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I thought maybe....but its a 7529 manual and unit tat came in my '84 if you're interested?

I hadn't notice before but I have a car phone manual too, panasonic EB-500/510/530 but no unit.

25. 401rpg

401rpg Karting

Oct 25, 2017
    London
    Full Name:
    Ralph
    Hi there

Are you sure that’s a ke-4300b ? And not a ke-4300 with a ferrari surround ?

I was of the opinion that the Ferrari models has a black surround plate with logo.

But ...... had a very unique different tuning dial.

The bottom frequency line line - rather than having the frequency printed - the 4300b has a code (see picture).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat