1981 308 GTSi help | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1981 308 GTSi help

Discussion in '308/328' started by bnthrdnthat, Oct 12, 2017.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Is it in your garage already?

Good luck

2. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Could not agree more

3. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Buy it.

Before the Beverly Hills Car guy does, describes it as mint, does nothing to it and offers it at $75k .

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yeah, for $15k this would be paid in full and put on the Transport before posting here! Pull the trigger brother!

Claudia k likes this.
  5. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Sounds like the passion is creeping in. All the posters are starting to visualize the beautiful clean aluminum castings, glossy paint, clean suspension etc etc and most importantly, stowing the top and searching for windy roads on a sunny day

IF you're so inclined

6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Dude, that's a steal, even if you have to spend $20K to make it right for you. I have an '80 GTSi and am going to make it a twice-a-week driver. It runs fine, but needs a speedo rebuild, parking brake rebuild, and it has the dreaded whistling exhaust. I didn't care, because shutting the doors, it sounds like a bank vault. There is also some minor corrosion down low on the doors. So what? It's nearly forty years old! Snag that puppy. You'll fall in love with it, and that's what matters.

Sandeman and Claudia k like this.
  7. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    George I have an 80 GTSI too:)

Sandeman and G. Pepper like this.
  8. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    If it's running you can break the clutch free by starting it in first, changing through the gears without clutching (ie at the correct revs), and when you have it in 4th stab the throttle repeatedly and it will break free. Obviously you need to be on back roads where you don't have to deal with traffic and stop signs.

A good paint job will run you at least $5K probably closer to $10K. Take before photos so a future buyer doesn't conclude this is an undisclosed crash vehicle.

As to the value/desirability of this year/model, believe me the tune changes a lot when you are a seller. I may be wrong but I speak from experience. The 81/82 cars burn oil (a lot), lack BHP, and and more rust-prone.

On the other hand, in the current market (which is cooling), it's still a good price.

9. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I agree with most of what Russ said. Minus the cost of a paint job...unless you are a body guy and prepping this 100% yourself, paint is going to be a lot more than $10K for a professional job (and no, this is not a good place to skimp if you’re going all in, go all in).

10. bnthrdnthat

bnthrdnthat Rookie

Oct 12, 2017
    cary,nc
    Full Name:
    Chuck Penfield
    Thanks to everyone! I am now a Ferrari owner! I'll keep posting as I transform the car.

Patrick Dixon, dflett and 308 milano like this.
  11. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Welcome to the tribe!

12. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    I agree with the other folks. Write the check and get that puppy home. Body work pricing is very dependant on who you know and the local market. Those lower doors will need skins. I would investigate the splash panel behind front and rear wheels for rust while at. The rear dent is simple body repair. I think at 30k-40k all in if you are turning the wrenches and farming out the body work is not out of the realm of possibility, providing there is nothing wrong internally with the motor or transmission.

13. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Welcome to the club. Looks like a great find. There will be surprises...part of the fun!

14. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    My opinion is this:

Drag the thing home. Take your time. Let the reality of ownership soak in. The car has been sitting for 6 years; it is in no rush. Slowly assess.

Yeah sure, there is obvious stuff that will need to be done no matter what; all the fluids, timing belts, fuel hoses, fuses. As you work on those, you can meditate on options for the stuck clutch and take inventory of the other things that need attention.

15. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    YES!!!! Welcome to the adventure!

16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana