1981 308GTB (carbs) review | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1981 308GTB (carbs) review

Discussion in '308/328' started by AC6, Jan 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    That doesn't sound at all like my carb 308. Nov.78 build.
    Are you guys sure that's an original exhaust?

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Great review. I enjoyed it. Was everything factually correct? Possibly not, but you covered the important bits very well.

One thing that struck me, which I didn't know, was that the induction noise can be heard from OUTSIDE. (There was just one scene where you accelerated while being filmed externally). I thought the only person who got to enjoy that sound was the driver.

Good work.

ChipG likes this.
  3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #28 Steve Magnusson, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    A 1978 North American carb 308 and a euro carbed 308 have very different exhaust systems (and even different intake systems so the euro's induction noise is louder). It looks like his exhaust configuration is no cats and a lightweight 4-tip ANSA, Tubi, etc. muffler; whereas, a stock 1978 North American carb 308 would be cats and the well-thermally-insulated (more muted) N.A. muffler. What is your exhaust configuration?

This is a lightweight 4-tip ANSA muffler similar to what the euro carbed 308 has:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is the stock 1978 North American carb 308 exhaust system:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ChipG likes this.
  4. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    OMG that stock USA muffler is hideous!

bernieb likes this.
  5. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Hi Steve, mine is US version per your 2nd photo. Thanks for the explanation. I actually prefer my sound over the Euro. However 40-year-old cats are prolly not all there.

6. AC6

AC6 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I was told it was but from the comments here it appears to be an aftermarket.

7. AC6

AC6 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Many thanks for your kind words Peter, really appreciate it. Do check out my other videos if you have time, there are other interesting cars like the Dino 246GTS and a Singer Porsche from Hong Kong.

We are not full time youtubers but really just a team of classic car enthusiasts putting videos together of Hong Kong classic cars, so we hope to capture less generic details in our videos. Enjoy!

48969 likes this.
  8. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Hey, it's not a deal-breaker, The car sounds great. Per Mike's comments, Euro vs US exhaust explains the difference. Being a stainless system, it may be an aftermarket

AC6 likes this.
  9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    "Euro" carbed cars were delivered with the single-pipe exhaust as a standard. Look at the rear valance of your friend's car: there is the cut-out at left intended for where the exhaust pipe should be (just above the left group of two exhaust pipes from the actual exhaust).
    However, in some countries, the optional (= you had to pay extra for it) four pipe exhaust was often also fitted, notably Switzerland.
    And some cars switched from the standard single pipe exhaust to got an aftermarket four-pipe exhaust later in their life.
    But, as a general rule, the single-pipe exhaust is the typical exhaust for any european carbed 308.

Rgds

AC6 likes this.
  10. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Martin,

My 81 GTSi North American, has a Build Date of NOV 80.

Just another data point.

11. robbie308

robbie308 Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Robert Retzlaff
    Peter,
    don't forget that only you lucky RHD buggers can enjoy the induction noise to its full extent, when driving with the window down. For us left handies it's on the passenger's side...

I still remember my disappointment when Carl picked me up in Sydney for the drive to Melbourne. I was looking forward to enjoy 1000 kms of induction noise as a passenger... only to find that I was AGAIN sitting on the 'wrong' side!

Robert

JuLiTrO likes this.
  12. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hahaha... Yes... That story is hilarious!

robbie308 likes this.