1981 Ferrari 512BB Chassis 36445 | FerrariChat

1981 Ferrari 512BB Chassis 36445

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by samsaprunoff, Feb 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

In the continued spirit to document our cars, I am adding info on the cars as they come up for sale, etc.

Chassis 36445 is offered by Sotheby's in Paris on Feb 6, 2019

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/pa19/paris/lots/r0011-1981-ferrari-512-bb/730589

All pictures are from their link above.

Cheers,

Sam

1981 Ferrari 512BB
    Color: Grigio Ferro metallic Exterior - No Boxer trim with Pelle Nera Interior
    Mileage: 01232 (from odometer) , but service book shows 42200 in 2015
    VIN:
    Chassis: 36445
    Auction: €250.000 - €280.000

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Thanks for the nice pictures. The front grill is interesting, it looks like a German specification, yet the car was delivered in Italy.

3. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Yes, the front driving lights on a BB should be behind the grill, these look like a BBi setup.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what are front driving lights?
    the low and high beam are to open and close and those lights you see are foglights, also used for flashing

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    No, some markets had a short grill for all carb'd boxers including 365. Some markets dont allow a light to be behind an obstruction and when they did that they moved the fog lights forward so the welded on mounts are further forward. Injected cars came along and it was more of a world market car in a sense with only one grill option and they all got rear fog lights and raised seat belt shoulder anchors etc.

George Vosburgh and John B like this.
  6. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Thanks, I think there is a difference between BB and BBi short grills: the blades of the short grill for carb'ed BB's had square edges (next to the fog lights), the blades for the BBi had tapered edges (although I am not sure if the word "taper" is correct to describe that).

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    A carb'd BB grill opening is 10mm larger top to bottom vs an injected car. Its the leading edge they made thicker on the BBi when they added the small park lamps so they reduced the opening size. I discovered this when I was working on a carb'd car that had an injected bumper with filled in park lights. The grill was from a BB and they bent all the vertical bars so it would fit the smaller opening!

And yes the grills are not the same cosmetically. The edges by the lights are tapered a lot on the BBi and there are no fan clearance cutouts in the back side of the grill to clear the fan motors as the motors were moved to the rear. The other difference is the early carb grill had no air horn cutouts either because the horns were under the right headlight hidden and blue rather than candy apple red.

George Vosburgh and turbo-joe like this.
  8. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Thanks Paul, I stand corrected.

Newman likes this.
  9. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Thanks Paul! As always a delight to read your educating explanations.