1981 QP III 5 Speed and 1986 QP III Auto | Page 4 | FerrariChat

1981 QP III 5 Speed and 1986 QP III Auto

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by William Abraham, Nov 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    i had the same problem and solved it by calling a used car lot until one told me a name. there are people that go from dealer to dealer and repair bumpers! job was 40 usd and one hour. cannot tell the difference, even paint match was perfect! all the best

2. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    \

Wow I will see if I can track down an expert...

Also, the insulation is a real water trap. What is everyone replacing it with. I did see a discussion on one of the threads but perhaps someone has looked into this already.

Thanks

Wm

3. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Hi William,

not only is the insulation a water trap (causing the body panels to rust - unseen - from the inside), it's a fire hazard as well. Did some welding on mine on the inside wheel well, and saw things flare up in the trunk....! (that would be boot where you are)

I've been recommended to rip it all out and replace it with Dynamat or similar. Any sound deadening product should be fine.

I really like the silvery blue if you car, it's a nice color!

The uprated front end components from MIE do make the car sit higher up front and slightly alter the line of the body. As I've understood it, the stock setup is under dimensioned to support the weight of the car/engine at that end. It looks a bit weird, but it drives well.

Did you overhaul and grease the window motors and lubricate the door handles and locks? How involved a job was it? I'm in the middle of overhauling my transmission, but would like to tackle those things when I'm done (along with the radio, can't have a great long distance cruiser without a working radio!).

Best regards,
    Thor
    1980 QP3 4.9l blu sera

4. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #79 William Abraham, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi saw this rare survivor from Hungary visiting the ski resort in Seefeld, Austria. Trabant I think. Not a Maserati but thought you might enjoy.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #80 William Abraham, Feb 21, 2012
    Well a bit of an update.

Bumper issues - My body shop (featured here on the other QPIII) say that they can fix the rubber on the bumper so I will show that as it gets done)

Pictures coming on all the suspension work. It does look good and shows the MIE kits getting fitted. Really great construction on the car.

Motor coming out next!

Also, balance of chrome and new glass should be arriving shortly!

Ciao for now

6. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
  7. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #82 William Abraham, Feb 21, 2012
  8. Thestash

Thestash Karting

May 8, 2011
    Wappingers Falls, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony Pistachio
    Nice pictures!

9. c20500

c20500 Karting

Aug 12, 2010
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Great Job, I wish I was able to do that to mine. I just replaced the shock bushings as they were shot and reduced the ride height at least an inch.

10. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    I wonder how much that subassembly weighs...

Also, I've heard rumor that the entire rear suspension is Jag - can anyone confirm?

Thor

11. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Hi I was rereading this and was wondering if you have been doing any further work on the cars???

12. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    since there is almost zero business there is zero going to toys. battery charger and trickle chargers are the only things going here, sad to say. i did drive my 400i to work today. took it back at noon and drove the 550 back. was going to drive the
    bora but have misplaced the keys again

13. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Does this mean you can replace only the bushing itself (where the shocks are bolted to the suspension)? I noticed when I put the transmission back in the car that mine were looking a bit worn and deformed...

14. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #90 William Abraham, Apr 17, 2012
    Well the 81 is in the shop with the motor and gearbox out. Clearly the front window is badly delaminated. The one is shipped from the US was broken on arrival and now everyone is pointing fingers. Sounds like the motor will need to be reworked along with the gearbox. Ahhhrrrgggghhhhhh

Basically the body seems sound. Colour decision now -- keep it the same or change it.

I do like this colour - don't think they look so good in red or ivory or grey. Black is OK but a bit funereal. I saw a mid blue Phantom the other day in such a cool colour.

More later

15. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    #91 Quattroporte3, Apr 17, 2012
    William - this and the burgundy deep/warm red seem to suit this car the best imho. Mine is the same color as yours, "blu sera", which I think is a great color on this car.

As far as the windshield, there's a guy in Finland who specializes in aftermarket glass for Italian exotics, a really nice guy and his daily driver is an '82 QP3! His name is Antti and his company website is: http://www.sicurvetro.com/

He makes the glass in batches a few times a year, and it might make more sense to order from him directly instead of via the US, considering he supplies many overseas parts warehouses as well.

Who's doing your respray? So far the best offer I've found has been with Alsa in Wales, who really seem to do a fabulous job at an very reasonable price.

Cheers,
    Thor

16. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Yes Alsa are doing the respray. I booked it in a year ago when the black car was being done. Like their approach and they are reasonable people to deal with. The motor and gearbox are out so I need to get that done also. I am afraid the motor will need to be sorted as it was making some rude noises....

17. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    My understanding it that it is from the same manufacturer as Jag sources. I will see if I can dig it up. Both inboard brakes etc. It does make for a nice ride. I even think my mechanic said some parts are interchangeable. I am sure our experts know more....

18. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    What a fantastic post! The QPIII is one of my favorite sedans. We've had 3 of them in our family. My dad put 100k miles on his 1986! Great car. I would love to have another one sometime.

19. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham

Thanks. It is an adventure. I am VERY SAD today as I found out that the shop that painted and stored the 86 lost the two tool kits I had in the trunk. HOW DO YOU LOSE A TOOL KIT. I am really sick about it as it appears they have lost the tool kits, some of the long trim pieces and my original bumper. AHHHRRRRGGGGHHHHHH.

Link that with the rip offs on the old cars and it seems the gods are testing my dedication.

Anyway, I will keep sharing as long as there is interest!

thanks

William

20. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Wait - you're saying that Alsa 'lost' your tool kits?!? If that's the case I'm going to reconsider using them for the repaint. That sounds like pretty dodgy business practice to me.

There is definitely interest, so please keep the comments and pictures coming! (and I will try and do the same)

Thor

21. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    i am trying to remember if i bought two tool kits in the last year from one garage. guess not

22. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    HI I NEED TO BE CLEAR. ALSA IS CURRENTLY PAINTING THE 1981. THEY DID NOT PAINT THE 1986!!!!! IT WAS DONE BY ANOTHER SHOP NEAR LONDON. It was then picked up by another firm and stored for some time until I could fund the next stage. When I got the 86 back with the parts and started the process of putting it back together there were a lot of missing parts.

So Alsa is good! Hopefully they will turn the tide of some bad dealings to date with other parties.

Best

William

23. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    So basically the other shop (or storage co.) stole from you.

Not cool.

There should be some way to warn others about places like this...

I'm glad to hear that Alsa was not involved. I am looking forward to getting my car down there, sorted and painted.

Thor

24. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #100 William Abraham, Apr 21, 2012
    Well the car is in the process of being repainted. The usual issues are in place. ALWAYS some corrosion around the windows but this one is not too bad. The door fit I was pleased to hear was a FACTORY issue!!! I thought the car had been hit at some time but that is a nice save but surprised how poor the fit was.

The rad will go out for a free flow core and the interior guy will be there to sort out any interior issues. More on that later.

Here are a few pictures of the current state.

W