1982 308 shifter wont engage | FerrariChat

1982 308 shifter wont engage

Discussion in '308/328' started by f68, Mar 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f68

f68 Karting

Jan 4, 2014
    Orange Co California
    Full Name:
    Rodz Of Ages
    Stupid me i jacked the car up and tried to adjust the shifter rod and now i just get nothing
    no 1,2,3,4,5, i really dont want to pull the pan.Any guidance would be great
    thanks

2. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    If you can crack a safe by feel you have a chance. I highly recommend pulling the pan

3. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yep, drop the pan! Lost
    PS worth it just to understand the logic.

4. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Ditto - just pull the pan and save yourself a lot of time and aggravation. Do a search for the procedure.

5. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I managed to lose the adjustment completely when I did mine. I didnt find it especially difficult to get it back without removing the pan.

Two people are needed, one in the car and one underneath, preferably with some mechanical ability (rules out the wife :)) and understanding of how the mechanism works. I think the process is first to get it into neutral then any gear at all, then tighten it and determine which gear its actually in, by using the gear lever. If its in the wrong gear for the gate position, re-adjust and keep at it until its right.

6. f68

f68 Karting

Jan 4, 2014
    Orange Co California
    Full Name:
    Rodz Of Ages
    Thanks thats what i was afraid of. I am going to wait till tomarrow and have a friend help me move the shifter while i'm underneath hopefully i can get it without pulling the pan

7. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
  8. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Best thing to do.

9. f68

f68 Karting

Jan 4, 2014
    Orange Co California
    Full Name:
    Rodz Of Ages
    #9 f68, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Look at the red arrow pointing at the shifting rod end.
    Which way is it supposed to be facing in neutral ? up like it is or sideways
    Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Like I said in a previous post, take the pan off if for nothing more than to understand how it works and what does what! You'll feel better if you understand the box instead of looking for a short cut. If you look inside you will be able to straighten it out in the future without removing the pan and then you can advise the next rookie to come along. Personally I aquired allot of knowledge here and you will also. Just remember a Ferrari is not from Mars, it's just another car that requires care! lost

11. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Lost is right, and you are getting some good advice here. Dropping the transmission pan is not difficult, and easy to replace. Just watch out for the little springs and ball bearings. Take the pan down slowly and note where they go for reassembly.

But do search the archives. There are several great threads on removing and reinstalling the pan, and understanding the shifter and how it operates, so you know what you are looking at in there. As Lost has said several times, once you see it, you'll understand. Since you have never done this adjustment before, you are shooting in the dark. Unless you have someone helping you who knows what he is doing, it will be just a matter of luck if you get it aligned properly. Removing the pan eliminates the guess-work. Besides, it never hurts to put new gear oil in the tranny anyway. And there are plenty of threads on that as well.

12. f68

f68 Karting

Jan 4, 2014
    Orange Co California
    Full Name:
    Rodz Of Ages
    Thanks for the help guys i just did all the fluid and gasket changes and shift shaft seals i think i understand how it works i just don’t understand y im getting free play its not engaging into gear. i was just trying not to drop the pan again as i have no leaks u no how that goes
    Orwell i guess im dropping the pan again
    Thanks

13. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
  14. f68

f68 Karting

Jan 4, 2014
    Orange Co California
    Full Name:
    Rodz Of Ages
    thanks faster

15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mine is side ways.

16. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    The fork on the end of the shift rod can slip and reposition or fall off all together. If you can't get an instant feel where it is sitting relation to the internal throw switches pull the pan. Highly recommending that you follow the sound advice given here.

17. f68

f68 Karting

Jan 4, 2014
    Orange Co California
    Full Name:
    Rodz Of Ages
    Ya i've decided to pull the pan again.I just don’t understand y im getting the free play i guess i will find out

18. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    You will get free play there because its 90 degrees off so the shift fork has come away from all of the selector shafts.
    If it has come disengaged it should re-engage UNLESS you have pushed one of the selector shafts into gear after having disengaged the shifter, then there is no alternative than to drop the pan because you will have to manually pull the selector back into neutral.

There was a service bulletin which describes a gearbox change to prevent disengagement in this way but it applies to 328 only unfortunately.

19. f68

f68 Karting

Jan 4, 2014
    Orange Co California
    Full Name:
    Rodz Of Ages
    Thats what i was thinking it did andyww
    Thanks

20. f68

f68 Karting

Jan 4, 2014
    Orange Co California
    Full Name:
    Rodz Of Ages
    #20 f68, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just an Update I removed the trans gear pan and the shift fork has come away from all of the selector shafts. I had it all screwed up is neutral the middle one?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's not which one is neutral it's all three need to aline and let the shift shaft arm move freely between them and when you select a gate the shift shaft will move it forward or backward. cheers, Lost

22. f68

f68 Karting

Jan 4, 2014
    Orange Co California
    Full Name:
    Rodz Of Ages
    what i meant to ask is first the middle one?

23. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    What I suggested above has happened. You would simply need to get all the shafts in the middle location. Its not possible to get them wrong as long as they all line up because there are lockout balls which prevent more than one gear from being engaged at the same time (which is never good :))

24. f68

f68 Karting

Jan 4, 2014
    Orange Co California
    Full Name:
    Rodz Of Ages
    Do i need the springs and ball bearing in the holes to adjust ?

25. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Ideally yes, as these give the fore-aft detent. Otherwise you might find the horizontal gate slot does not line up with the detent in the box.