News

For Sale 1982 512 BBi - Cavallino Platinum w/20k Extras inc. Red Book

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by gbutler, May 22, 2018.

1. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    A beautiful 34k kilometer car complete with extensive documentation from new and having enjoyed a recent major service this month. Aggressively priced at $289k or best offer. Partial trades considered.

Identifying Numbers:

VIN #. ZFFJAO9B000042213
    Engine # 00203 Type F 110 A
    Trans # 187. Type F 102 CB
    Assembly # 185

Provenance / History:

05/82 Assembly completed in Maranello, Italy

6/8/1982 Garage Francorchamps sold to Grand Touring Cars c/o Trend Imports for $55,000 (copy of original invoice included)

6/21/82 Entered US, customs entry #722972

11/4/82 Grand Touring Cars, authorized Ferrari dealer in Scottsdale, AZ, sells car to first owner Maurice Schell

08/02 The estate of Maurice Schell sells car for $68,200 at RM Meadowbrook Auction to Mershon’s Classic Cars

11/20/02 Franklin Parker purchases the car from Mershon’s and registers vehicle in Georgia

09/30/13 Purchased by current owner via a consignment sale from Franklin Parker and Ferrari of Atlanta

03/7/16 Car receives Classiche Certification

01/17 Car awarded a Platinum (minimum 97 points) at Cavallino Classic, with chief Judge being noted Boxer expert Dick Fritz

Recent Significant Maintenance History:

04/18 Milage - 35,008
    Full major service, not just a “lock & swap”. New Hill Engineering tensioner bearings, timing belts, cam shaft seals, valves adjusted, new distributor cap & rotor

12/15/15 Milage - 34,498
    Suspension restoration on all four corners to include all new upper & lower ball joints, new bushings throughout and Koni shocks - dry ice blasting used to clean and preserve original finishes

11/15/15 Milage - 34,498
    Front & Rear brake calipers rebuilt & refinished, new pads & brake lines

10/15/15 Milage - 34,498
    Original AEC 104B ignition box rebuilt with modern electronics

09/30/13 Milage - 31,163
    Compression check (180 - 190 psi) & PPI by Ferrari of Atlanta

11/09/09 Milage - 27,916
    Removed / Replaced clutch w/ AP Racing unit

09/30/09 Milage - 27,916
    Major engine out service to include new belts & tensioners as well as new valve guide seals

1996 - 2008 Many additional records documenting a meticulous service history and mileage

Extras:
    • Ferrari cloth wallet and books, including original warranty card
    • Complete soft tool kit with outer beige leather pouch
    • Jack kit with all items per Owners Manual
    • Inspection lamp
    • Red Silk Car cover
    • Bell Stainless Steel Exhaust (note this exhaust bolts up to ALL exhaust manifold tubing, unlike some exhausts which require a “plug” for some unused manifolds
    • Factory Schedoni Luggage w/keys
    • Red Book “Classiche Certification”
    • 512 BBi sales brochure.
    • EPA / DOT Releases
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

rubenpadron, 375+ and sixcarbs like this.
  2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice looking car! Only $55k new? Or was that before "federalization" maybe?That's not much more than a 308 was new at the time. That's surprising to me. GLWS

3. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
  4. donv

donv F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Frank Parker was a very active FerrariChat user during the time he owned this car-- I bet if you searched, you could find lots of information about it.

5. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Great car, great history, amazing documentation!

GLWS

6. 375+

375+ F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The US Dollar was very strong at the time.

89Falcon likes this.
  7. 375+

375+ F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    A magnificent "needs nothing" BBi, GLWS.

8. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Amazing car. GLWS

9. Jdubbya

Jdubbya F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Very cool, thanks for sharing!! Now, where did I put the darned time machine!?! ;)

10. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    More documentation, including original warranty card which matches the invoice posted above concerning originally sold by Francorchamps. Also, Classiche certification. Normally I do not put much weight on a red book for a newer car, but I think a boxer is an exception given that most boxers in the US at one time or another have been converted to US spec, etc. The red book at least gives perspective buyers the comfort that the car is back to original configuration.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Does that mean the car has been un-Federalized?

12. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    My only point is that since all boxers were Grey market cars, i.e. there never was a US spec version, there are many cars out there in different states of tune and body conversion. This greatly effects value, as the cars closest to being back to full Euro spec as they left the factory are the most desirable. To get these cars to pass EPA / DOT conversion, back in the day modifications could have been as extensive as longer, more protruding front and rear bumpers (some sticking really far out and even being referred to as "picnic tables"), front and rear side markers, steel beams in the doors for crash protection, and various engine detuning modifications, exhaust, installing catalytic converters, etc. A car with all of these modifications still in tact in my opinion would be the least desirable and least valuable Boxer. I doubt such a car would every receive a red book, and since so many of these cars are in some hybrid state between Euro and US Federalization spec, a red book provides some degree of assurance that the car is at least close to being back to original Euro spec. In particular, I can think of one thing right away that would eliminate certification with most cars and that is the original Euro spec exhaust. Most cars here in the US do not have this exhaust. Another thing I immediately look at when valuing a Boxer is does it have the ugly US pec side markers on the car. If it does, I immediately deduct 10 to 20k (depending upon where side markers are mounted, i.e. above or below the "waist line") because I know to remove them body and paint work will be required.

Then again, there are a few cars that were never converted but somehow got past the EPA / DOT ------ that is an all together different story there involving shady converters / faked paperwork, etc back in the 80's. Where there is a will, there is a way to always get past hurdles!

ScottS likes this.
  13. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Thanks for te summary. My bucket list includes a non-molested 512 BB that has never been Federalized.

Would Classiche pick up on the steel beams in the doors if they were not removed? What about the speedo in MPH, would they accept that?

14. BigTex

BigTex Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Franklin Parker was a good steward to this machine, and gbutler has cared for it as well!

It ran the FFQC 2004, in what seems like another lifetime..

GLWS!

This is a fine, fine example of the model.

Here is my blue #22641, lined up behind "some guy named Ralph" in his 288GTO..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Classiche would not pick up on the door beams or speedo, so those items will not prevent a car from obtaining certification. However, you do bring up an excellent point, that being the vast majority of the cars in the US have had their speedometer changed, or atleast "recalibrated" to miles per hour and the face readings changed to mph --- therefore I question mileage on most of the cars out there. My car still has the original European 320 kph speedo and all records in my possession substantiate the mileage shown on the odometer.

16. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
  17. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Bump because this is such an awesome example of a 512 BBi!

18. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jun 7, 2011
    Beautiful. I hope someone buys it and uses it and the luggage for lots of road trip adventures. I’d love to put twenty years of scuffs on that luggage with every one being a story. My kid doesn’t need inherited money or pristine cars/stuff. She needs inherited stories of her folks doing fun things together.

Gorgeous car. Fingers crossed it gets you the $ asked and brings the next person lots of joy.

VColin likes this.
  19. FastLapp

FastLapp Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    James
    The 2004 Ferrari French Quarter Classic - that brings back some memories - one of the best weekends of my life. I was 13 years old and had my first Ferrari rides on the track at No Problem raceway from some very generous owners (some of whom are members here!). So cool. It definitely seems like a lifetime ago!

Anyway, beautiful machine and very well presented. Good luck to the OP on the sale.

20. henryr

henryr F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    is franklin still around ? havent seen him on here since not long after he sold this i think

21. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    No, I have not seen Franklin either. I believe he was looking at getting a Porsche 964 Turbo

22. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Incredibly iconic

23. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2010
    Charlotte, NC