News

1982 Mondial 8 restoration

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Dr-Boost, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Dr-Boost

Dr-Boost Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    IAN THOMPSON
    Hello All

Long time listener, first time (technically second) caller.

My name is Ian Thompson and I am based in Holywood, Northern Ireland. I’m a mechanical Engineer with a PhD in Turbocharged engines. I own a small (very small, only me) company, TSV Cars Ltd. I set it up to do some Engineering consultancy and restore old Ferraris and Porsches.

I thought I would share my latest build with the community here as I know I love seeing pictures of restorations and hopefully I may be of help to some.

For the attention of Admins, I’m not here to promote my business, I mention it so as not to break any rules, I will of course help the community with advice and parts info etc and would love to get to the stage where I could sponsor a forum but I’m not quite there yet. Please get in touch if there is a fee or specific rules I should follow, Thanks.

So, on to the latest build.

The car is a 1982 RHD Mondial 8 in Rosso Corsa over Crema. This is quite a rare car as far as Mondials go as there were only 145 (reportedly) made in right hand drive…and I bet there aren’t many left…hence my desire to save it.

I'll be carrying out what I call a 'Class B' restoration, by that I mean somewhere between a 'Class A' full nut and bolt restoration and a 'Class C' (full service and cosmetic correction) restoration/renovation.

Throughout this restoration, I’ll share the running totals of money and time, a bit 'Wheeler Dealer-esque'. This will give a good idea of the true cost and time should you be contemplating your own restoration. I’ll also aim to post weekly.

This is how the car looked when I first got it. It looks a little rough around the edges but on the whole, the car is very solid, it seems it was cared for quite well and there is only superficial rust in the usual places. The underside and frame parts are very solid with little to no rust.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I think the poor car had a little identiy crisis...the quattrovalvole badge is now redundant.

Someone had started to remove the interior and remarkably, all the pieces came with the car. Nothing a good clean won't fix, mostly dust. The car was well stored.

Here you can see the mileage, pretty low for such an early car and definietly worth saving.

On the righ tof this image you'll see a glimpse of the tacho. Hands up if you can tell me which side the tacho should be on on a RDH Mondial 8 from 1982?

So, that is an introduction to my latestest restoration and so far I’m at £11,175.32 and 6.5 hours. See you next week.

Attached Files:

• BP1.jpg
      BP1.jpg
      File size:
      132.2 KB
      Views:
    • BP7.jpg
      BP7.jpg
      File size:
      97.5 KB
      Views:
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #2 theunissenguido, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Picture(s) of the engine ...maybe it has already the QV in it !! :p

4. Dr-Boost

Dr-Boost Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    IAN THOMPSON
    Hi theunissenguido,

There will be more pics to follow, plenty more!...someone did give it a go with red paint though...still a 2 valve though!

5. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    I'm glad that you're saving her and can't wait to see the progress!

2cam

Dr-Boost likes this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Moderator Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hello sir! Welcome, and thank you for posting. We look forward to following your progress and I will personally be cheering you on!

Dr-Boost likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Dr-Boost

Dr-Boost Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    IAN THOMPSON
    @2cam yes, I'm glad I can save her and I too look forward ot seing progress!

@paulchua, thanks for the welcome and I'll need quite a bit of encouragement, plenty of tasks need doing!

paulchua likes this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Moderator Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    As the adage states, it's often the journey itself, not the destination..
    Keep up the great work.

10. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf.
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Super Rare car,, worth saving.
    ❤️

11. afterburner

afterburner Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Welcome Ian, looking forward to seeing the progess!

ronfrohock likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Jaroslaw

Jaroslaw Rookie

Dec 30, 2010
    I'm looking forward to your restoration. I also own a 1982 Mondial 8, European specs, federalized in US. I believe it is only one of 7 such cars in US. And just over 30,000 Km (not miles). Very original and in good condition.

14. Dr-Boost

Dr-Boost Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    IAN THOMPSON
    Hi All, as promised here is the next instalment.

When I got the car, someone had already removed the engine so I thought it best to start there. There is very little history with the car so it is a total unknown. I’ve no idea why the engine was removed (we likely find out later on) but it did turn freely and appeared to be in good condition…even though a little dusty!

These engines are very similar to the 308 GT4 engines and some were known for having hollow valves. It is unlikely this Mondial 8 had or even still has hollow valves but a complete strip down and inspection was the best option I thought. This way we know exactly what we have, plus, at 30k miles, the exhaust valve guides will probably need replacing anyway…along with various rubbers seals that have probably hardened over the last 40 odd years.

On to the strip down.

All in all, everything came off pretty easily and the belts don’t look that old, the engine appears in good shape.

I’m still at £11,175.32 for parts but now 10.25 hours for labour. See you next week.

Mechanical Dad, afterburner and 2cam like this.
  15. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I hope mine is one of the 7 !

16. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Please keep the pictures coming, I plan to do similar work to mine this year.

JLF likes this.
  17. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    JERRY