1983 QV - Metric or Non-Metric Wheels | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1983 QV - Metric or Non-Metric Wheels

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MauroV, May 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Hi Afterburner, I'm not sure what kind of 348 rims I've got. Sadly they have got to come off and be replaced by 16" wheels to pass homologation here in Italy.

2. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Ciao Mauro. Superformance is your solution :)

3. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Yes, I'm already in discussions with them. :)

4. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Greetings to Ita ;-)

5. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    I fitted a set of 16" wheels from Superformance with modern tyres today. Sadly I also had to buy new wheel bolts as, of course, the ones that go with the 348 wheels are of a different size. I was disappointed to give up my 348 wheels, not just because I had to buy a set of lame original style wheels, but because I really liked the look of the 348 wheels. But, now I see the new wheels fitted to the car I'm really pleased. They actually look much better than the 348 wheels, in my opinion. I wasn't expecting that! :)

6. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
  7. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Those wheels look fantastic! Classic, timeless design and perfect for the car.

2cam

8. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Your dream car 2cam, no? A non-red 3.2. I agree; beautiful!! It would be such a hit at a Cars&Coffee (that color!!). Is that the original color Mauro? I can’t recall seeing another Mondial in that blue.

Temple

9. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Absolutely!

10. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Yes, its azzurro metallico. A previous owner painted it yellow back in about 1989 but now its back to how it left the factory. Apart from the black door handles which presumably matched the yellow and the colour coded bumpers which are my choice but I'm still not sure about. I think azzurro must have been a bold choice of colour when it was new but it seems to have aged well. And it's quite rare. :)

11. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Azurro was used in the QV catalogue as the main color. The first QV I saw was Azurro. I think it's beautiful in the Mondial.

12. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I've had a 348 Spider - and I love the wheels...........on a 348. I have a Mondial coupe now and swapped out the original Metric's for Superformance 16"s and couldn't be happier. Enjoy! Your car looks immeasurably better with them on.

13. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Pretty close - a 3.2, QV, maybe even an 8 Coupe depending on the color combo and condition... ;)

This one definitely looks great - such a beautiful color. I probably would have returned the bumpers to black, but the car looks sharp as is.

2cam

14. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    Hi Mauro,
    is that 83 QV really having 3.2 liter displacement as per the technical bulletin you posted?
    You didn't have to pay 1000 Euro for that page, did you?
    (and the 173KW equates to 230 HP, works if you have emission controls on board, otherwise 240)

15. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Yep, the scheda tecnica cost 1000 Euro! And you are right they listed the car as a 3.2. I didn't notice that! There are no emission controls on board so its 240 HP. That's the HP for a 3.0 right. Blimey!

16. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    I finally got a new and corrected Scheda Tecnica from Ferrari. It took them nearly 2 months to do the corrections but it arrived last week in time for the inspection to get the car on Italian licence plates booked for today. The original scheda tecnica, the one with errors, took them 2 weeks.

They corrected the engine size on the form to show a 2927 cc displacement. Fortunately the tyre sizes remained the same so I can keep my new wheels and tyres. The only other change was the model changed from Ferrari F 108 AL /R to Ferrari F 108 AL /Q. I'm not sure what that means.

So today, after 3 months of restoration with the car looking and running fantastic I was ready to take it for the inspection..... except the car would not start.

It has had this problem intermittently for years but after a expensive engine service I was hoping it was cured. The engine turns over but doesn't start or even attempt to start. You can hear the fuel pump. I'm not technical enough to know if its fuel or electrics. Traditionally when this happens I get it towed to the workshop and when it gets there it starts first time.

Anyway, one last chance to start now otherwise I'll go to Lucca (25 miles away) in another car to rebook the test.

:(

Mauro

17. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Hi Mauro... sorry to hear about your starting troubles. I don't have an answer for you at distance but just wanted to send you greetings from the beautiful Lake Como where I am spending some time. Urs

18. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Looks great! I prefer the OEM metric (or 16" replacement) look over the 348 wheels.

MauroV likes this.
  19. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Thanks Afterburner, hope you are having a great time at Lake Como. Are you there with your Mondial?

20. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Yes the rim size is skinnier on the front tires

21. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong