1984 512BBi Auctioned in Tacoma, WA | FerrariChat

1984 512BBi Auctioned in Tacoma, WA

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by samsaprunoff, May 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

In the continued spirit to document our cars...

I was curious if anyone attended the Lucky Collector Car Auction last weekend (May 12/13) in Tacoma, WA? I ask, as they were auctioning this 1984 BBi, but sadly no chassis number was provided... and no mention if it was sold, etc. Can anyone add more info?

Cheers,

Sam

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ctd/d/lotferrari-512-bbi-lucky/6577414505.html

1984 Ferrari 512BBi
    Color: Red Exterior with Boxer Trim with Black Interior with Red Piping
    Mileage: 64749 (? - Hard to reach odometer)
    VIN: ?
    Chassis:?
    Price: ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tifoso2728 likes this.
  2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

It looks like this car is chassis: 44393 with a VIN of ZFFJA09B000044393. I say this, as 44393 is on Ebay and the pictures are the same:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Ferrari-512-BBi/273334865699?hash=item3fa4070f23:g:Tl0AAOSw--1bOqYR&vxp=mtr

Current Bid: $188100 USD (39 bid) Reserve not met with just over an hour and a half to go. Interestingly the ad has a buy it now of $205000.00 USD

Anyway, here is some additional documentation taken from the Ebay ad:

Cheers,

Sam

3. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Love the black seats with the red inserts!

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

According to Ebay the winning bid was $190K USD ... Wow... that seems really low... However, one would need to see the car in person to see if the price is a bargain or not.

Cheers,

Sam

5. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Before I comment with the typical "Not all Boxers are equal" I will state upfront that my platinum level car is for sale on this site, so I may be a little impartial. Nevertheless, there is a wide range of values in these cars and this car is NOWHERE NEAR being one of the best in the world. That car would not even judge 90 points at a national level Ferrari meet, probably much less. For starters, one of the first things you need to look at with these cars is the current state the car is in from a US conversion perspective. The least desirable cars are the ones that differ most from the original Euro spec that the car was delivered. This car still has the big bumpers that stick way out, both in front and rear. The ugly side marker lights are also on the car front and rear. Who knows how much will have to be spent to correct those items, which would require paint and body work. Also, what does that say about the engine and any items added to it to become US EPA compliant. I don't see anything that immediately jumps out at me other than it does not have the original Euro spec exhaust, but at a minimum it is due a major service based upon time as last service was in October of 2013 (love how someone wrote on the top of the repair bill that this is "considered a recent service as they should be done every 20 to 30k or 5 to 10 years". How is the suspension? worn out bushings, shocks, etc? The steering wheel is incorrect for an 84, and to top it off, the car has 64k miles showing on a speedometer that is clearly not original (the Euro speedo goes to 320 kph). Without history from new, who knows how many miles are actually on the car. As it stands now, 64k would be one of the highest mileage boxers out there and with much of the US conversion items still in place, I am not surprised it brought less than 200k.

ross and Newman like this.
  6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Glenn,

I agree with all of your points. My earlier comment was not to imply that this car is or should be compared to a "correct" car. My comment was simply that I have not seen that low of price for what appears (looks) to be a drivers car with needs... no more, no less. That being said pictures can be deceiving and so one would really need to examine the car up close and do their due diligence to see if the car meets their needs.

Cheers,

Sam

7. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    No worries, I really just wanted to make a point that there really is and should be a wide range in Boxer pricing since theoretically everyone of these cars here in the US had at one time been converted to US EPA / DOT specs. ---- And with the quality of the conversions and the fact that most cars have been reconverted or at least partially converted back in some form or fashion, there exist a wide range of quality of cars on the market. One has to really know what he wants and dig into the details when going Boxer shopping!

8. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

As it would seem with most Ebay auto auctions... the listing has a winning bid and looks to have been sold, but then the car reappears sometime later up for sale yet again. This is the case with 44393, as it is back on Ebay and this time with a Buy It Now price of $225K USD:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Ferrari-512-BBi/273366167214?hash=item3fa5e4aeae:g:UpIAAOSwZGRbUoEh&vxp=mtr

So... the car was not sold at $190K as previously indicated and it would appear that $225K USD is what the seller wants.

Cheers,

Sam

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    this car makes mine look like a $300k value !