1985 308 GTS question | FerrariChat

1985 308 GTS question

Discussion in '308/328' started by Classicexoticgirl, Nov 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    Looking at a 1985 308 GTS VIN ZFFUA13AXF0058409. Does anyone know this particular car? I’m new on here and I was hoping to get some feedback. Any information would be appreciated. Is higher mileage a dealbreaker if the car has been well maintained by a master Ferrari mechanic? New to Ferrari but I like the 308 in black. Thank you.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome - the basic 308 drivetrain has 150 000 miles easy - what is your definition of higher mileage ?

Classicexoticgirl likes this.
  3. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    For some bizarre reason, when it comes to the Ferrari 3*8 range, most people seem to think anything over 30,000 miles is high mileage! :confused:

I'd say that if a Ferrari 3*8 has been treated with a bit of respect, serviced every year, warmed up correctly, and driven sensibly, then you can add another 50,000 miles to your 150,000 miles.

Mechanically at least, the Ferrari 3*8 series is tougher than people give it credit for.

4re308, waymar and Classicexoticgirl like this.
  4. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    This particular car has 86,417 miles on it but has been maintained for the last 13 years by a Ferrari master mechanic in the car description. It has a 1 1/2 binder of service records. I have heard they are meant to be driven and this wouldn’t be a daily driver but I would drive it often and not keep it in the garage.

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The miles alone aren't going to make it one to avoid, but we can probably offer better feedback if we can see pictures of the body, engine bay, interior, etc.

waymar and Classicexoticgirl like this.
  6. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
  7. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Is that car still available? The dealer's website doesn't have it listed. It may be an old autotrader ad that hasn't been removed yet.

8. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    Thank so much! I actually pulled a report on it last night through autocheck.com and everything came up very clean. I didn’t think I was allowed to post for sale links on this forum. This is the car that I’m interested in though.

9. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    I just sent them a message to verify it is still there. I will be back to looking for another one if this is the case. Thank you!

10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    My 89 328 has 104 K miles, and is good for another 100 K , its that simple.

Thank you

11. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    For the OP—first, welcome to Ferrarichat!
    Lots of great people here to guide you. Many threads on 308s in the archives.
    Next, don't be scared off by 86k miles on a 308. Provided the car was serviced and maintained properly—as this one is advertised to be—it should be a good car for many years. Unless you plan to do service/maintenance work yourself, find a trusted mechanic local to you before you get the new-to-you Ferrari. As such, it's a good idea to get the car checked out with a PPI to give you a detailed report on the car's condition. Use the report as a guide so you have a good idea what to expect (and budget for).
    Aside from that, If you can, try to meet up with some local 3X8 owners (at FCA events, Cars and Coffee, etc.) and get their feedback on what to look for. Maybe they will let you go see their cars in person, and possibly drive, to get first-hand insight. Go see as many as you can and do research on the model (Keith Bleumel's excellent Ferrari V8 book as one reference).
    That's what I did when I was looking to buy my Mondial. Met several nice folks who were more than happy to show me their cars and offered their advice with some great pointers on what to look for. Learned a lot going into it. And yes, there will be surprises. But doing your due diligence ahead of time is a good way to prepare for that.
    308 QVs are great cars. Good luck!

4re308 likes this.
  12. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    Thank you very much for taking the time out to give me all this valuable advice! There is a lot to learn but I’m willing to put in the time. I live close to Scottsdale, AZ so there are a lot of great cars here. We have a club here called Scuderia Southwest that have Cars and Coffee so I think I’ll start there for info. I think the biggest challenge to buying a car out of state is finding someone to do the PPI. I have done it with a muscle car (1969 Chevelle) but a classic exotic seems a different animal to American Muscle. I really like this car in black. I waiting to hear back from the dealer to ask questions about it. Seeing is it’s a mid-west car I’m also concerned about rust, something that is not as prevalent in the Southwest. Maybe this one will work out, maybe it won’t but I’m glad I started my research here. There is a wealth of knowledge in these forums.

djs308 likes this.
  13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The interior is slightly rough - nothing major, but a few areas that need to be addressed. The vinyl is coming off the AC vent bezels under the (awful) stereo; the indicator lights are starting to pop out of the gauge cluster. Relatively easy things to fix, though. The floormats are also incorrect - they look like GTB mats, and are ill-fitting.

The engine compartment isn't that bad, but I get the feeling a lot of those hoses are original and need to be replaced.

Given that it's in Ohio, I'd want to see a LOT of pics of the underside. Rust is a ***** in the midwest from all the snow and salt.

14. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    Yes, rust is a huge concern. Here are a few more pics of the interior. The belts haven’t been changed since 2017 so I do have questions regarding belts and hoses.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I had a PPI done on my Mondial by a reputable shop near to the seller. While it is advisable and highly recommended to go in person while it's being inspected, I made the arrangements over the phone/email. The report was satisfactory, but didn't catch *all* the issues. It happens. I still made the deal.
    As for this 308, I'd suggest searching the North Central region (OH area) to see if someone has already got a reputable shop. I saw one recent thread where NJB Automotive is mentioned, and they do PPIs. So you might give them a call to discuss.

16. cfazio348

cfazio348 Karting

Nov 2, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    christopher fazio
    I also was looking at it as well, had a person in area look at for me, and I decided to walk away. Best of luck looking

17. cfazio348

cfazio348 Karting

Nov 2, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    christopher fazio
    I saw this on the internet in case your interested

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    86,000 is great!

The car can do twice that easy and you get it cheaper.

There is NO downside to the mileage if you want a driver to keep.

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    "Matching numbers" lol

It isn't Corvette. They guy who is saying that about that 308 has no clue what he is saying.

BTW, that one has been repainted. Incorrectly.

Brian Harper likes this.
  20. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen

21. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    I do want it as a driver and for fun and maybe go to local cars and coffee, shows, etc. It just has to pass a PPI. I have videos that the owner has sent me of a walk around, startup and driving. I like the 308 in black. This car is pretty original. I would make some small changes though.

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  22. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    Thanks for the info. I actually called and left a message with NJB today to discuss.

23. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    When I think of matching numbers I think of classic american muscle. We have a 1969 Chevelle restomod, definitely no matching numbers there.

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.