1985 308 GTS QV Euro Finest on the Planet | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1985 308 GTS QV Euro Finest on the Planet

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by 308nut, Aug 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    That's a sweet car..

2. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The car looks really nice. Although it may not be to factory specs, it's still dang pretty.

3. archiscapes

archiscapes Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    Santa Rosa Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Really nice car...

I am looking for a nice 308QV euro...would buy this tomorrow if it was closer to my budget...:)

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    So, you put up pics of a modified QV that are 6 months old and yet brag to the community its got $100k in it.

You forgot how to use a camera and capture pics of the car 100% done and ready to sell for your super-secret-I-am-not-going-to-tell-you-unless-you ask-me-price?

Geeze I cannot wait for this Ferrari bubble to burst. But good luck with your sale.

Note: I broke my own rule about no comments on "for sale" ads, as you guys should not allow discussions in for sale ads, since those rules work well on Rennlist, Pelican, Lotus forums and many other I am on.

But these "ad threads" are becoming entertaining reading, and are not about selling cars.

5. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Thank you for the one in our market. The UK based pricing although interesting, really doesn't represent the market stateside in my opinion. I recognize that we are in a world market and it is reasonable to consider prices everywhere, just not as much on cars that relatively speaking still have a fair bit of numbers on the road and are priced mostly around the $40K range.

With the one example you did share, that's helpful, but it's a pretty rare bird and I am guessing won't sell that high, but I hope for their sake and everyone else that owns a 308 it does.

I'm not looking to alienate myself with 308 owners, I've owned two of them and loved them, I think they're great cars and I would love to have another although a Dino will probably be my next Ferrari with those three digits.

6. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Being in a global market is a good point. I realize there are quite a few 308's in the US, but I suspect many will get shipped to Europe if there's that large of a price disparity. Too great of an arbitrage gap to ignore. And for evidence, just look at all the 911s being sent to Europe now. The export numbers are staggering, and there's far more of those on the road than there ever have been 308s.

7. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG

Seriously?? I have followed quite a few sales, but missed those...I am only aware of one 308 having sold above 2 and that was a few years ago.

Curious to know more....

PDG

8. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Good post. Agree 100%. It is a global market. Ask any broker/consigner of classic/collector cars.

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #59 Bullfighter, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    There are a lot of 308s in existence (and a lot of Dino 246s, and a lot of F40s -- these aren't rare cars by any stretch), but the number of pristine 308s is pretty low. And the potential demand could easily consume all the good ones. Here's why:

For a Ferrari enthusiast who wants something old school and analogue, the 246 and Daytona would be great choices, because they're beautiful and infinitely restorable, and time has proved them to be collectible as well as usable. But good luck finding anything under $400K that isn't currently on fire or at the bottom of a lake. Because I've been actively looking, I've noticed 308/328 and Boxer prices are strong these days -- not for a tired driver-level car, but for ones similar to the prugna '85 listed at Autosport. There's a potentially large segment of the market that sees its chance at classic Ferrari ownership getting washed away in the 246/Daytona tidal wave, and the 308 is alone in being a life raft. $100K for a 308 sounds like a lot, but when a 246 GTS is $400K-$450K, it suddenly looks better. Likewise, dumping $300K+ on a 458 that will be worth half that (and be frighteningly out of warranty) in a few years seems like a dumb move if $300K is significant money to you. (It is to me.)

At the same time, if you want a Ferrari that won't bankrupt you with ownership costs, the 328/308 usually get the nod. Parts prices on the newer stuff are bordering on insane. There's a thread today with an F430 Scuderia, with 2,500 miles on it, that may need a new F1 pump for $5K, and recent thread on a California that needed a new $20K infotainment system. I don't know, or want to know, what carbon ceramic brake replacements will cost when the time comes for those.

Seems to me like a perfect storm, although my crystal ball isn't better than anyone else's. Also I should clarify I haven't seen the car being sold in this thread, so I'm not advocating for it as an investment.

Back to the sale thread... ;)

10. AaronMeisner

AaronMeisner Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    ^^ This.

This is how I came to buy my '84 QV recently. I figured that if I didn't do it now (like RIGHT NOW) I was going to end up with an X1/9 and a lot of regrets.

Remember, it's not that life is so short. It's that you're dead for so long.

11. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    It's pretty hard to compare the 246 market to the 308's simply from the fact that the there are a lot more 308's.

246 total production was just over 3500 cars, 308's were just over 12000.

That's almost 4 times as many cars out there. I get that the market is coming up, absolutely no argument there, but a 308 will never be what a 246 is from a collectibility standpoint just from the availability, or lack thereof in the 246's.

There is a similar phenomenon going on in the Porsche market. The pre '73 911's are going banana's in value, and that has raised the prices of all the 911's, but just the same, the short hood big bumper cars (74-98) will never get to the same level as the long hood small bumper stuff, there were just too many of them made. I am only referring to the real 911's, those without radiators and water pumps.

Regardless, a nicer car will always bring more money than one that is not as nice, but that is the same for any car, collectible or not. The real question in the case of this discussion is how much more is an amazingly clean 308 worth over the average cars in the $40's, no doubt more, but over twice as much? I have a hard time with that. I am not saying I am right, just my viewpoint.

12. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Totally agree. BUT if the 246 is $400k it's simply not an option for the vast majority of buyers. We can debate all day whether a carb'ed six Fiat engine between chrome bumpers is better than a carb'ed eight Ferrari engine between rubber/glass bumpers, but the price levels of the 246 (which wasn't collectible 10 years ago because it didn't have a "proper" Ferrari V12) make it all pretty academic.

If you want the old school tubular frame and carburettors, the 308 was the end of the line, and it still looks great.

The 308 doesn't have to exceed the 246 in collectibility in order to get beyond the $40K price point.

13. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    The 308 doesn't have to exceed the 246 in collectibility in order to get beyond the $40K price point.[/QUOTE]

I agree!

But again, twice the average priced car?

14. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I just saw the finest 308s yes plural on the planet. Plus 35 to 40 others that could be considered the finest on the planet. All very low mileage as in most under 1000 a number under 500 and at least a few under 100. I am still stunned.

15. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Post in the 308/328 section?

16. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Yes, lets see them.

17. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I agree 100%. Personally, I have no issue with Wade or anyone that comes on here to post an ad. I don't like to comment unless it's to ask a question about the car, give a "nice car" comment, or say "GLWS".

I may not agree with prices, approach, pictures, no pictures...whatever. Few things burn me more than someone posting an ad and getting flamed for anything and everything.

Can't tell you how many times people post a question about "timing belts" and are met with the typical, arrogant "do a search". We all know that search is a challenging thing here, and unless you were born knowing how to change one, it's total BS. At one point, ALL of us were Ferrari "noobs", and to act to the contrary - like snobs - is disrespectful and flies in the face of what a "community" is all about.

We should be here to encourage and help one another. Save the flames for the real hacks or crooks that may come on here. If there is a constant drum of negativity around ads, then no one will want to sell anything and truth be told, F-Chat is adversely impacted.

I actually PM'd Rob about disabling comments - we didn't get far, but this thread (and others) is precisely why. No one has to agree to what OP is offering, but let him leverage this resource to sell a car to a buyer that wants it.

GLWS!!

18. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #68 finnerty, Aug 11, 2014
    Agree with all that, of course --- as I am sure most here do. But..............

When someone uses nonsensical hyperbole such as "Finest on the Planet" --- which is just utterly silly to claim about any car, anywhere, anytime --- then a reaction is to be expected (and well-deserved). In fact, perhaps it was done on purpose to generate a "buzz" or attract attention --- one way or the other ? I am sure many took a look at this particular ad simply because of that phrase being used in the title......... and, therefore, "ask and you shall receive". In other words, don't complain about getting elevated attention (good or bad) when you purposely incite it...... drama begets drama.

19. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    He didn't say which planet. :):)

20. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I agree!

But again, twice the average priced car?[/QUOTE]

Yes, simply economics at play.

Labour rates are the same whet here its a Daytona, Dino, or 308.

Parts prices are the prices, but we all know many of these cars were fixed with a volvo part, and then SOMONE needs to spend double to fix it correctly. Couple it as it being a 35 yr old car, and restoration $$$$s come into play.

It's all relative.

A good basic car is 70-90k US if you can find one , slap on a 150k for a proper nut and bolt restore and bingo.

I'm sure you will see one or two of these at cavallio next year as they are near completion. One of these euros and one US changed hands quietly at that price.

Also, a 86 CT just changed hands for 350US

21. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Not in the market but looks like a very nice car....

22. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    listen guys, this car would have NEVER come to market, but circumstances with the new owner has forced the sale. It was built with the mindset that he would NEVER part with it and that prompted the high level of restoration and modification. The car is indeed superb and with the exception of the mild modifications that are easily reversed it is very original. Of course as a seller I want to draw as much attention as possible, and the negative comments on this thread albeit minimal generated attention. This is a very fine automobile built for a specific reason and purpose, if you don't like it there are others available. If you do like it and do not have issue with the asking price, give me a call we can talk about it and you can make an offer.

I did not mean to draw divided attention but every thread on this forum has it share of drama.

I just hope everyone enjoys the car and looks at it for what it is.

Thank you

Wade

23. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #73 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 11, 2014
    No pictures were allowed and I certainly understand and everyone of course honored that request. You will see them in a magazine article that either is out or is about to come out. All I can say is there is just no way to adequately describe the collection. Words are not enough. The 308 being discussed here really looks nice, and who would not want a dry sump Euro? All Euro's are dry sump right? I like the other one posted here, with the big engine mods, but for the 80,000 miles and I suppose that should be no concern at all as it is all rebuilt. Still tempting as it is a GTB and driving is what it is all about. The cars I saw where like art pieces, who every thought there was a Daytona with less than 500 miles?

24. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    No not all Euros are dry sump, and I don't think any QV's were dry sump

Wade

25. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    I use this forum some for fun intelligent conversation and mostly for education either giving or receiving. My comments thus far on this particular thread were not meant to be flaming, or to have any sense of negativeity. The car on this posting does seem exceptional and I think it should fetch top dollar. I have only brought up that I personally have not seen the market this strong on these cars, and being in the industry everyday, I like to get others inputs and get a feel for where this community lies in reference.

Wade, I hope you do get close to asking, that only means that the market on every Ferrari is getting stronger, and of course being an owner, that helps me like the rest of us.

I will make one observation though, it seems that most that are attimant about how strong the market is are current 308 owners, and of course that would benefit that group the most. At the end of the day the market will determine what it is worth, and like I said, I hope most of you guys are right, and Wade by all means, GLWS.