1985 400i 5 spd / Long overdue / 12k Service | Page 7 | FerrariChat

1985 400i 5 spd / Long overdue / 12k Service

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Paul C Cain, Nov 1, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
    Checked the resistance on the 12 plug wires. Two were open circuit No. 8 and No. 9. Here are the Ohm readings after. The root cause of the failure was arcing on the small metal needle that bridges the circuit from the wire core, over to the steel connector. Note the arc'ing spot.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
    #152 Paul C Cain, May 3, 2023
    Last edited: May 3, 2023
    I media blasted the headers this morning. It was perfect timing as my favorite UPS driver was just dropping of the Cerikote Cobalt ceramic coating.
    Here is the blasting process:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/Rg_hvEOE5

After the blasting process, I took advantage of being back in the metal fab shop, within a few feet is and 18'' version of a disc grinder with a very stable and flat grinding wheel. A few quick passes and it flattened out all the flange faces.

After a quick final airblast they all got two complete coats of the cobalt colored ceramic coating. This is an air cured product and it is dry to the touch after about 45 minutes. (outside temp today was 75 degrees F). I will let them dry for two days as I am still waiting for exhaust manifold gaskets from Superformance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jim575 and samsaprunoff like this.
  3. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
    #153 Paul C Cain, May 3, 2023
    Last edited: May 3, 2023
    After checking the brushes on the starter and lubricating the armature and bendix gear. I reinstalled the starter keeping the bottom nut loose.
    That upper bolt is buried. It took careful fingers and a specialty 17mm box end to get that tightened. Header has to be out of the car.

The heat shield originally used asbestos. I comically tried to find some more as this was still available 5 years ago during and E Type Jaguar restoration. Absolutely none was available so I selected a 1200 F insulation from Mc Master Carr. This got cut to size and pinched in placed and reinstalled.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jim575 likes this.
  4. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    Forgive the dumb question of the day, but what are the 2 curved pipes at the connection of the headers to the exhaust, outboard of the main pipes? They seem to be present in some pictures but not others.
    My 412 has somewhat less of the exhaust than it used to have, and to great effect, too, but my headers don't seem to even have the connections for these smaller pipes.
    It all adds to the mystery of what my car should actually have in the way of an exhaust. It passed CA smog recently with the small cats you see in the picture, but at some point another smog tester might fail me for not having whatever else is supposed to be there. I can't find a CARB sticker anywhere so I have no idea. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jim575 likes this.
  5. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    Follow-up question - what are the hexagonal pieces on each downpipe? Top right of my picture.

The headers on the cars are a work of art, aren't they?

If only they were equal length, the significance of such a configuration I have only recently heard, pun intended.

6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    You mean the balance pipe? If so, these were previously discussed in this very same thread.

These were used to tune the k-jet.

7. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    Ah, I had thought the balance pipe was referring to the cross connection "balancing" between the two main pipes.

What does the actual balance pipe actually balance then? Mine runs like a dream without them.

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Presumably balancing pressure inside the muffler so as to allow better flow in the slotted portion of the tube and reduce stress on the muffler (all this with question marks...) .

Some cars do not have them, in some other cars they are "tapped".

9. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
    It is my understanding that these smaller 'balance pipes' were eliminated on the 412 models.

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The SPCs show that they got rid of the "balance pipes" on the 412 (only present on 400).

Those are typically referred to as the "exhaust sampling ports". They give a place to measure the exhaust gas from each individual cylinder to investigate if there's a problem (they are very rarely used). The actual hex headed threaded plug is Ferrari PN 110860 -- used on many F models.

11. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
  12. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    I see you have added universal cats on your 412. How is the sniff test, and what are your CO NO values?

I will be installing cats as well as the smell is very pungent, I use many underground parking garages and without a cat is unusable.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

13. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    See attached for the emissions.

The engine had to be leaned out a lot, which was a function of adding the cats and would have been done irrespective of the smog anyway. I previously put on 2 in/2 out cats and they were annihilated within 500 miles as the car was running rich.

Running rich, without cats, with only the small mufflers you see to the rear of the new cats and straight pipes aft of the rear wheels, manual transmission and the confidence to wring out a recently rebuilt engine, is a deeply stimulating experience and IMO the most fun you can have with your clothes on and/or without psychedelics.

There is a definite loss of power with the cats and leaning out, perhaps 5%, but to my relief the car still runs very smoothly.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
  15. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Did you use 2 or 4 2inch cats?

16. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
  17. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    2inch cats, and 2 on each side?

Did you get them installed and did you notice a difference in the exhaust smell?

18. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You and Britward may be talking about two different "sizes" -- the size of the pipe diameter (2") vs the OD size of the cat body (4").

19. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    1 x 4 inch Cat on each pipe, and yes, made a significant difference in the smell.

Apologies for taking this great thread in a different direction.

20. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Great, I will be getting mine installed next week. Will make a separate thread.

21. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
    Jim575 likes this.
  22. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
  23. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
  24. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    How did you replace the boots and where did you source them?

25. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
    @360modena2003 You will need to purchase a AMP / TYCO pin extractor. Then, very carefully, push the barb down on each pin inside the connector housing and extract each pin. Note the color codes and pin orientation. Install the new boot with lubricant. Reinsert pins. I would avoid the temptation of the boots available on Ebay and Amazon. The lead times from China are exceedingly long and the fit quality is poor. Digikey has quality boots, that fit.

Digikey stocks the boots:
    https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/880811-2/2054433?utm_adgroup=Rectangular Connectors - Accessories&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_Product_Connectors, Interconnects&utm_term=&utm_content=Rectangular Connectors - Accessories&gclid=CjwKCAjwx_eiBhBGEiwA15gLN-uNLiwNF2CZ9gXcIQffdF2HL__65rJN9gUvSFppswygOhnf75oFghoCa9AQAvD_BwE

Jim575 likes this.