1985 400i Power Steering / Alternator / A/C V-Belt assembly sequence | FerrariChat

1985 400i Power Steering / Alternator / A/C V-Belt assembly sequence

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Paul C Cain, Jan 7, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
    It's clear that Design for Serviceability was not part of the DFMEA in the engineering dept at Ferrari in the 1970's. Below are the key steps in 'simplifying' the installation of new belts on the front of motor service for a late model 400i.

I've tried to compress it down to a '12 Step Process'. If I had to do this for a living, I'm confident that I would be a graduate of another 12 Step Program. Hopefully this will save others in the future a few missteps in the assembly sequence.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Tifoso, Schumi and samsaprunoff like this.
  2. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    I suspect it must have taken you longer to prepare the excellent pictures and instructions than it took to complete the procedure. Well done.

3. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I had an upper alternator belt fail while on a long weekend trip. I carried spares for all the belts. Getting that one belt between the motor casting and the pulley high point is pretty tough, but after a lot of cursing and pushing and shoving we got it on. If I had all the components off as in Paul's pics, I would grind a small amount off the casting with a Dremel and/or maybe a bit off the inside flange of the pulley. I have heard that one dealer gets that belt on by bumping the motor with the belt jammed in the gap, but the direction of rotation is against doing this easily from the right side of pulley.
    This is one of many items Ferrari abuses the owners of our cars that maintain these cars ourselves.
    Ken.

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Let's be honest: the engine bay dates back to the 365/GTC and it was later upgraded with additional anciliaries that are cramed between the engine and the radiator (bigger radiator, additional ventilator, additional alternator, additional oil cooler, suspension pump). The additional alternator is obviously the reason why the belts are so complex, the lack of space does not help.

This being said, these add-ons made the car so much easier on a day to day basis that I don't mind the additional effort.

5. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
    @Theruse The photography and Powerpoint are the easy and relaxing parts. I thought that this one assy was worth documenting because of the mandatory sequencing and complexity.

@raemin Excellent point. That is a laundry list of incremental accessories.

@SouthJersey400i I am not one to grind on the castings, but in this case it would be worth it for three reasons: little to no loss in strength in the large boss that needs the grinding, 2) a massive improvement in serviceability and 3) you cannot see the notch when fully assembled. Grinding can be done in a subtle manner and look like it was a factory feature. Lastly I believe a light grind on the aluminum is a far better alternative than an earlier suggested notching of the pulley.

Ak Jim and Schumi like this.
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    When these cars were new I fairly regularly replaced the belts without modifying or removing anything. Just do not tighten anything or adjust any of the belts until all are in place.