1985 Testarossa Water Pump | FerrariChat

1985 Testarossa Water Pump

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Felipe Anderson, Jan 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Felipe Anderson

Sep 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Felipe Anderson
    Good evening!
    My '85 Testarossa will be in for a major service. After not being used for several months, it started leaking coolant. I believe it is the water pump.
    When servicing the water pump, is it necessary to change the two bearings?
    What parts are changed without separating engine from gearbox?

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I've never had a Ferrari water pump rebuild that did not include the bearings.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It isn't standard. The water pump is an integral part of the engine and to replace the bearings would be almost certainly needless and require considerable disassembly.

f355spider likes this.
  4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Fig. 11 on page C14 of the TR WSM is a good cross-section drawing showing why the TR water pump bearings are in a much better situation than the 308/328 water pump bearings:
    1. They are located in the main engine oil bath (i.e., they don't have a limited amount of grease to age/wear out), and
    2. Even if the water pump seal, 2, fails (and coolant leaks out the "Draining Duct", C), there is an oil lip seal, 3, that would prevent coolant from contaminating the outer bearing -- and even if a little coolant did get thru, the refreshing oil bath would still be present.

f355spider likes this.
  5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It also does not have the load of the belt clear out at the end of the shaft.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In answer to the original question that none of us did. You'll need the O ring for the suction hose housing, the water seal, the oil seal and a lock tab for the impeller nut.

7. Felipe Anderson

Sep 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Felipe Anderson
  8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You won't need to remove items 10 & 11 unless you were also going to attempt to replace the outer bearing (which probably isn't so easy to do).