3.2 ported/big valves/carb first run video | FerrariChat

3.2 ported/big valves/carb first run video

Discussion in '308/328' started by snj5, May 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #1 snj5, May 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    http://media.putfile.com/Mondial-rebuild-1
    First run of 3.2 with 44 DCNF, ported heads with big intake valves, 0.360 lift cam,Tubi headers, MSD
    This video is without any carb tuning or synchronization at all, so it is a bit rougher than it will be after synch..

After a drawn out project, the car started and ran amazingly well without any carb synch at all. Of course, the flows are all over the map from 2 to 10. While the video does not well capture the bass lower tones, it should sound a lot smoother once the carbs are synch'd. It's also a bit early to tell about the all stainless steel exhaust James built off of my design, but it does seem to work great so far with a deep smooth throaty tone and no tinniness - I guess all that studying on exhaust design may have paid off. When the engine is tuned it should get smoother. The muffler system will now come off and go for ceramic coating in OEM flat black to contrast the bright Tubistyle Euro headers.

As expected, with the non-existant syncronization on new carbs it does spit a bit as you can hear; and as planned, it does run rich by the smell so that is good. Always a better plan to start rich and incrementally lean. It currently runs on 52 idles, which I expected to be rich with the increased flow. Will back down step-wise to 50s. Obviously no way to tell anything about the main circuit yet, but it is also expected to be rich at 145/F24/190 even on the 38mm venturis (!) on 44mm Webers.
    It has a very different sound at start with the geared Nippondenso starter, but it's the sound of a starter that will always start, which is a thing with me.
    Other little details include new silicone water hoses to the front radiator, 100 amp alternator among others. One pet peeve of mine was also addressed by replacing the previous Facet interruptor fuel pump with a quiet rotary Pierburg, so there is no more woodpecker sound in the back of the car.

Plan is to finish up this week, break in the new kevlar clutch and dyno next week if all ok.
    We've had a few dyno predictions on Mark's computer sim, but I'll not speculate further and slowly dial this thing in. As a baseline however, two years ago before the current new headwork, new cam and larger carbs, it was making 238 - 243 SAE rwhp and 203 ft-lb, which after the std. 17% correction is roughly 290 hp and 245 ft-lb at the flywheel - so, the hope is we'll get a good gain on those numbers. As Mark E. will tell you, I am NOT going for a peaky top number, but much more for low - midrange torque and grunt which is more usable everyday (especially in a 3500# car). This is why with the increased cam lift with near stock durations. These cam durations match the 38mm venturis feeding the 400cc cylinders peaking the hp in the 7200 - 7500 rpm range with a strong bottom end, helped by the Tubi Euro header design which is designed for a wide torque band.

Hope this 'old-school' stuff is entertaining for my fellow motorheads.
    best
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Looks and sounds GREAT!

3. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Amazing work you have done there Russ!! Cant wait to see the numbers it puts up.

4. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Well it's about time man. :)

Looks great Russ. :cool:

5. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Wow !! :)

She already sounds magnificent. I can only imagine how beautiful the music will be after synching and trials. Also, we can't overlook how great your 3.2 looks in the engine bay.

Super work, Russ. :)

Cheers, Hank

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Man, that's excellent and I'd love to be in your shoes. Hot rodding a Ferrari... :D

7. Tifoso

Tifoso Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2005
    Concord, NH
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    As a fellow carb fanatic who dreams of someday doing the same thing to a 328, I have been following this epic tale with great interest. Wow -- it sounds just fantastic, and I look forward to more where that came from.... Auguri!

Carmine

8. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    How sweet! I just love the deep bass tone to that exhaust. Well done Russ. I cant wait to see the 1st drive video/post.

JIM

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #9 snj5, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
    Many thanks, guys.

One interesting thing about the muffler that seemed to prove out in practice from the texts was dual resonance silencing - that is, two mufflers with volume x silence better than one muffler of volume 2x. With the two smaller mufflers we used, the guys at Norwoods were convinced it was going to be very loud. All three said it was amazing how quiet it was relative to the amout of muffler there - Mike even said it was "250% quieter" than they expected. I was surprised that we got the tone we did out of such a lightweight system. Thanks to FChatter GCalo and several older exhaust design textbooks loaned to me by BrianP's dad in helping design the system. I will try to get a recording on the road once the carbs are synch'd and the car is more drivable - that will be the real test.

If anyone would like, there are a spare set of already welded up identical twin mufflers at Norwood's we didn't use. Cheap. :)

best
    rt

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
  11. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Russ,
    Am I supposed to call Bob to get those cans....?

Regards,
    Edwardo

PM'd ya

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    PM back

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Great work Russ, looks good. I finished that other mondi earlier this yr with a custom exhaust made by the fabricators from comp-tech. looks very similar to yours, dual mufflers and separate banks. the only difference is with the supercharger it is very very loud, we could hear it running nearly a mile away! in the car it was loud but not too brutal. customer was happy so it worked out great. when I'm not so lazy I'll post up the video file.

14. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Sounds very sweet! Not a "motorhead" but appreciate what you've done with this car. I really like the aesthetics of the exhausts as shown, do you plan a custom grill at the rear or plan to run without a grill?

Jeff

15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #15 snj5, May 25, 2008
    Last edited: May 25, 2008
    Many thanks!

The discussion on what to do with the valence was pretty interesting, as I did not want to have anything that looked like chicken wire. :)
    Fortunately, as always, James came to the rescue and is using a Euro type valence as on the 308/328 Euro Cars in matt black. Another intersting discussion was if to have a shiny coated muffler or one coated in matt black. We went with black.

Scott - yes - the joke with this system was that exhaust systems are sold much like politicians: on short sound bytes; it's different when you have to hear them every day or for an extended length of time. It was very important to me that this be a relatively quiet and especially smooth sounding system. It is a bit early to tell exactly how loud it is going to be like at cruise, but I think we got darn close on the smooth. Not quite C/4 V-12, but pretty darn good.

16. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    "the joke with this system was that exhaust systems are sold much like politicians: on short sound bytes; it's different when you have to hear them every day or for an extended length of time."

We all know that exhaust system selection should be based on video clips that people have posted of them driving through a tunnel. Let's face it.... 98% of our driving is through tunnels. So why not, right? ;-)

17. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Very nice, Russ!!!!!

Hans

18. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #18 snj5, May 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks!
    Here's a brief sketch of the Euro exhaust valance, with a side comparison to the US 3.2 rear exhaust louvers from the side showing it will be more inset as on the European market cars, except with the wider exhaust exit spacing. It will be made of aluminum using the same mounting points, and be quite a bit lighter than the original steel piece.

I am still debating on if to add the Euro rear foglight - Do you EU guys actually use those things?.

19. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    not on a Ferrari!!! ;)

(In fact, my Dino doesn't have one)

The rules regarding fog lights are rather specific:

* ONE fog light only
    * Only to be used when visibility drops below 150 feet (50 meters)

As a result of this latter rule, the lights are hardly ever needed. Of course, some people have weird ideas about 150 feet visibility, and as a result you'll see them being switched on with as much as a mile viz. Very annoying. And of course, after 10 minutes of fog, it will take these same people two weeks to switch the lights off again.

Especially on cars that have TWO fog lights, it is very easy to mistake these with brake lights. Again, very annoying, especially where there is no fog around (the third brake light has long been illegal here, and only became standard issue on cars about a decade or so ago).

Bottom line: put them on if you want to, but don't for one minute think that they'll ever be useful ;)

Hans

20. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Excellent response - no foglights for me.
    Many thanks!

21. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    I have to disagree with Hans on this one. I've lived/worked in various countries in Europe for 25 years and I've definitely seen cars in the fog earlier because they had their rear foglights on and I've "snuck up" on cars in the fog that did not have them/use them. It's true that there are plenty of people that forget to turn them off in a suitable time but I find that much less annoying than running up someone's backside or someone running up mine. An added benefit is you can flash this light on and off (with the switch) if someone behind you has their highbeams on by mistake. If they have half a brain they'll understand your signal and switch to low beams.

22. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    ... of course, you may ask yourself if these are likely conditions in which you take the Ferrari out for a drive....

Hans

23. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683

They are not conditions I would take my Ferrari out in but conditions change and some people occasionally take their F car out for a long, multi-day and even multi-country drive just on holiday or to go to a gathering etc. etc. So.... if someone got caught in these conditions I suspect they would be happier to have a rear foglight. I know I would.

24. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Hey, you don't want to back up and hit a cow or steer in the fog do you.

I hear you got those things running around loose down there.;)

25. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    We do have one 'lame duck' running around just up the road in Crawford...

Thanks everyone for all of the good advice and thoughts. We do not have the rear foglights available here in the US, not are our cars wired for them, so if we wanted to put one in would have to source from Europe.