1986 328 GTS on Ebay | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1986 328 GTS on Ebay

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by theo-m, Dec 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well.I am looking to add a Testarossa this year. Got to have a 12 Cylinder Ferrari,and they are really a bargain right now. Also,can't beat those timeless looks. Somebody told me I should get a 512BBi,as my wife would just think that it's another 308. But,she doesn't mind what cars I get,just as long as I don't get any more Motorcycles. Also,agree with Andreas regarding the 328 as being a little more "refined". However,I like the Fender and side Louvers ,and bumpers on the 308. Makes them look just a little bit more Exotic in my opinion.

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Wow - 1st time I have heard someone say they like the 308 bumbers more! I guess that's what makes the world go round.

A testarossa would be a great addition - I agree - What a great car & they surely are a bargain right now.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I was looking at both cars at the same time. Of the 308s I only was interested in the QV. And a nice QV is about as hard to find as a 328. The 328 was pretty much 10k more, so what drove my decision finally? The remark in Forza, that you can't really tell the difference when driving them hard. I believed that at the time, but now having driven both, I know this is not true. It is not too much of a wrong statement either. The differences are subtle, but they still exist.

So my final conclusion was to go with the QV and invest the extra 10k in beefing it up...by putting a huge wing on it.
    :)

As I said, I got really close to buying your car. A friend of mine from FL actually strongly recommended it and we were already hashing out plans for checking the car out and transportation and so forth.

What is my next Ferrari? Oh, boy, what a great and hard to answer question. I guess the short answer is simply I don't know yet. Have no plans at the moment to get rid of the 308 or to immediately add another Ferrari. If I'd loose the 308 in a crash tomorrow, I guess I would either buy a 328 or another QV again. But this time with black interior. Buying it in tan was about the biggest mistake I made so far, but hopefully I can correct that one day.

Frank has a point about the 12 cylinders. If I were in the market for another Ferrari at this moment, it would definitely be a Testarossa. Way too undervalued. Get a good one and put some money aside for the maintenance and you're in biz. If I had enough cash I would go for either a 512BBi or a 330 GTC or 2+2. Way cool cars and probably also still underrated.

However since my next Ferrari is not due for probably another ten years, I would predict by then it will be a nice 456 with automatic (shock, horror!). Well, that way my girl and I can share it and quite frankly a 12 cylinder has so much torque, it kicks ass even as an automatic. Why a 456? Well, again way underrated I think (I drove one recently), especially as an automatic.

PS: Frank, you can have my bumpers once I have replaced them with Euro ones. :)

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes,I do like the 308 bumpers more,because they give the appearance of making the car look "Pointier",longer,and lower. But,I prefer them like Bob has on his 308. They are pushed in a little bit,like on a 288GTO. But,yes,IMO,the 328 (sans bumpers) front end looks just like a Testarossa,just like a 348,just like a 355. (which,Yes,is a good thing!) Sure,it's a "cleaner" look,yet,a tad more "reserved",IMO. And,I LOVE those fender louvers on the 308. Make the car look that much more Exotic. Side Window Louvers. "Hidden" door handle. Toggle type switches on the console make it look "Racier" to me. Naturally,this is just my opinion,and I Love ALL Ferrari's. So,not "dissing" 328's by all means,just stating my preferences. But,when I was "Ferrari Shopping" 3 years ago,If I couldn't have found a nice 308,would have definitely bought a 328. They look very similar. I know that the 328 is a little faster,and more refined. But,since I don't race or "push" my car,that doesn't matter to me. My car is just fine with me the way that it is. And,if I feel like going fast. I drive my Corvette. BTW,Andreas. I always meant to ask,but forget. What kind of wing is that on your car?

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #30 Chiaro_Slag, Dec 31, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wow, great responses red & tifosi!

Thanks again for the Shirt you sent me Andreas - I still think of how nice that was of you each time I wear it! :)

red - Interesting comparison to the 288 (my fav Ferrari). The bumper is similar & I also like the louvers on the fender of the 308! Overall I like the 328 just a little bit better, but also love the 308. Heck, I love all Ferraris! I'm like a 2 piece jigsaw puzzle.... I'm easy.

tofosi - I like your answer to the next Ferrari - I have no idea what I would get next either! There are so many I like that it is hard to choose, many I can't afford anyway! The 355 and 360 would definitely be on the top of my list - Would have to wait a few years for the 360 to come down in price. A Stradale would be a dream come true, but alas too expensive to even come close to considering. I too love the Testarossa and think they are an absolute bargain right now. I'm not with you though on the black interior - I like it in the 308 and 512 for example, but doesn't look right to me in the 328 - Not sure why... I like the light colors! Heck, just look at what I did to the 328 - Doesn't get much lighter than Crema! Love the way it looks with the blue, but needs attention to look good. :) I like the 456 also (I have a nice blue 456 model on my desk at work), but can't do the automatic - I like shifting too much. :) Which is also why I couldn't go for an F1. Being a relative Ferrari newbie, I am still too enamoured with shifting through the gate.

Someone posted a Azurro 512TR in the showroom section. I think if I saw one for sale, I would have a hard time avoiding the big financial stretch to get it. I would just have to try! I don't know why I am so fascinated with the blues... Especially growing up with every Ferrari poster etc being red! Here is the Azurro 512TR - I am in love!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Jerry,

my tan interior comment had other reasons. Tan interiors in general are fine and I do like your crema ones.

Try out a 12 cylinder Ferrari and then tell me how much shifting you did. They are VERY different from our cars, believe me. I have driven a TR and a 456 and you do a LOT less shifting because there is so much power. Actually I was following a 308 QV in the 456 up and down a hilly country road and knew exactly how hard the 308 driver was working the gears while I just let it simmer in 3rd and pushed more or less on the gas. A 12 cylinder Ferrari has so much over power, it is hard to justify redlining it. You would probably have to take it to a track to squeeze every hp out of the engine. That's why I'm saying I would be just as happy in a 12 cylinder automatic. Try it out one day.

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    So what are your others reasons for the tan interior dislikes? You have me curious! :)

I really do need to try driving a 12 cylinder - I have never even been in one before! The california crowd is mostly 8 cylinders - Lots of 308 GT4s, a 348, 355's, etc. Bart has a 12 cylinder 550 & has the same mechanic as I, but I haven't seen him at any events in a little while.

Driving a testorossa would be a blast!

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It was!
    :)

9. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Great pic! Makes you just want to jump in & stand on the accelerator!

10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I TOTALLY agree with you on that one,SLAG-328GTS. I LOVE ALL Ferrari's just the way they are! I love the 328,as it is a little more Refined than a 308. But,I love that "less refined" look of the 308,more,I guess. A little more "Raw",if you will. All of the Louvers. looks so low,and "Pointy". The Toggle switches look like what are in Race cars. Each Ferrari is special in it's own right. But,the reasons that I stated about 308's were what I like the most about them. But,a Testarossa will be a very cool addition. All of those side fins. From the back,they are Soooo Loooow,and Wiiiiiiiiide! Awesome. NOTHING else looks like that! And,12 cylinders! WooooooWeeeeee!!!!! And,if I ever strike it Rich,agree with Andreas about adding a 456GTA. I would LOVE to be able to get my wife a Ferrari that she could drive,and an Automatic 456,with little back seats would be great to also take along my kids. I think that the only other "Automatic" Ferrari options are a 400iA.Or 412iA. Unless,the new F1 transmissions can be put into fully Automatic mode. (can they be?) I often wondered about getting her a 348 and having it transformed into an Automatic,utilizing some sort of transaxle. (Porsche? Fiero?-They are stronger than you may think!-V8 Archie.,or an old one from a wrecked 400/412? Who knows. But it would be very cool!)

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Also,for Theo. If you want to use the car for track events. I believe that you want a GTB hardtop,as,they are much more rigid than the GTS. And,usually a little le$$ than a GTS. And,I think that in last months Hemmings Motor News.(I stored it away already) but there were about 3 or 4 348 Challenge cars For Sale as low as in the $40's. But,mostly,$50-$60's. But,the lower the price,I'm thinking,the more that it's been on the track,if you know what I mean. A 308GTB would be an excellent Club Racer. And,an early Euro car with a dry sump motor would be best. And,more than likely,in your budget. Check out Hemmings every month. And,during the Winter months,the prices are usually lower. Especially for our area,(Midwest) It's funny. When I was seriously looking for 308's over 3 years ago.I found TONS of them in Pennsylvania,for some reason,and it was Winter time. But,luckily,found the one that I bought right here in the Chicago area at one of our 2 Authorized Ferrari dealerships. But,I was all set to fly out somewhere and drive back.

12. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    The Euro 308 QV (which is what I have) is spec'd to be faster than an American 328. Maybe this is an option for you if you want the performance and are choosing between the two? Plus its got grills over the side intakes, 288 GTO front spoiler, different side mirrors with logo, and some other subtle differences. Mine is considered a creme interior, where I've only seen tan interiors on US models. But I wouldn't get a creme or tan interior again on any future cars.

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    When I bought my Red/Tan '81 308 3 years ago,(Jan.5th.) There was also a Black/Creme '81 308 For Sale,too,at the same dealer.(Lake Forest Sportscars). They were priced the same,and had about the same mileage. Believe me. I walked back and forth between those 2 cars for an hour. It was a very tough choice. But,as nice as that Black/Creme car was,I had been wanting a "Red Ferrari" for 23 years,(at that time) and,my first Ferrari HAD to be Red.(Just like my first Corvette HAD to be Red,too!) But,I thought about it afterword,and was considering buying the Black one,too,as I didn't in the first place because I didn't have anywhere to put it,and only really needed one. But,very seriously considered it,and now,wish that I had. But,the one thing that I don't like about my Tan interior,is that there are at least 3-4 shades of Tan in it. The Carpeting is different than the door panels and console,which is different than the Headliner and rear cloth. For an expensive,"Quality" car like a Ferrari,you'd think that they could have matched all of the Tan colors. And,I see in some of the 348's,for instance,the "Tan" looks Orange! At least you can get consistency with Black.

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Also,Theo,if you're still looking. Did you ever check out: www.ferraribuy.com ? They have HUNDREDS of Ferrari's,Lambo's,all sorts of Exotic cars For Sale. You just might find something closer to what you can spend. There is one listing,which,unfortunately,doesn't have a picture. But,it's an '86 328,"Orange with Cream interior. 28K miles.$16,500.00". I need to see what that car looks like! Sounds like a Dreamsicle! But,there are lots of others. Also,on that site,It's looking like 308 asking prices are starting to go up. I don't ever plan on selling mine,but,nice to know if it goes up more than what I paid for it. I saw an commercial for ABC news for next week,and it said something about Exotic cars being more popular than SUV's in 2004. Time to start stockpiling Ferrari's,I think! :) Will have to watch the Barrett-Jackson auction in a few weeks. Usually a pretty good barometer of whats Hot.

15. theo-m

theo-m Rookie

Dec 26, 2003
    Thanks Red. I have been looking at a few cars on the internet. I wind up comparing mileage and condition to the car in your neck of the woods. Nothing compares to the e-bay car at this point. I am not sure whether or not it sold. It was pulled off a couple of hours before the end. You never know, it may be there when I scrounge up a few more bucks. A midwest car is the way to go. By the way, i drove a 1997 911 as a possible alternative. YUCK!
    You gentlemen have been really helpful.
    Thanks,

16. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    You are correct about Midwest cars being The way to go. As a matter of fact,Lake Forest Sportscars advertises that Midwestern cars are a great buy,because they are usually well serviced,and,only driven approx. 6 months or so out of the year. You'll find your car!

17. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Frank, I checked out that site, and saw that they have two 328s for sale, 0 miles, for the low, low price of $159K! I'm tempted to ask if they've performed a 30K on them...

18. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    LOL! Yes,they probably need it,along with all new seals,rubber,Hoses,Belts,who knows what else,etc...Also,look under the 308 section. There's an '82 for $4000000. (6 zero's) so,must be 4million :) No, a typo for sure. But,it sure looks funny! Man,I really feel sorry for those 2-328's. What an absolute shame that they just sat for 18 years,not going anywhere. Not going on any cool drives. Not picking up any Beautiful Women. Not being in any neat shows. Not getting challenged to race by some pimply faced teenager in a Trans Am. Not getting tailgated by some assh*le in a GIANT SUV. Not getting "dissed" by a Porschephile. Not....(O.K.,I'll just stop it right there!)

19. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Frank-

How right you are!

The owners of those cars, missed out on the true joy of Ferrari ownership.....:)

20. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I know.Isn't it a shame? It's like at the Museum of Science and Industry. They have some really neat OLD cars on display. And,IMO,it's O.K. that they sit,because they WERE used,and,parts are harder to find now. But,for a LONG time,they had a new,Red Corvette ZR1,just sitting on display,and I always felt kind of sorry for it,because it was stuck behind glass and never got a chance to be driven and used as intended. Heck,they could have just put a body as a display,and no one would have known! :)

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Many years ago I visited the Ford museum in Detroit and they had a 250LM on display. Poor old thing, probably all stuck together by now.

22. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    LOL! Yes,I have fond-? memories of busting my knuckles trying to loosen old,rusty bolts. The bolts on those are probably welded together! We must really be car crazy,(as Mequiars says) if we are feeling sorry for cars! Like those IKEA commercials where they try to make you feel sorry for a little desk lamp. Then the guy pops in,and says,"It's only a lamp. It has no feelings. Don't feel sorry for it". :)

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Tell that to the jumping lamp from Pixar (e.g. in the introduction to Nemo).