1986 328GTS Ignition System | FerrariChat

1986 328GTS Ignition System

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rickfabio, Jun 29, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rickfabio

Rickfabio Rookie

Oct 2, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rickfabio
    First post and thanks in advance to anyone with some insight on my query.

I have a 1986 328GTS that i primarily track and i'm looking to upgrade the ignition system.
    It currently runs the twin distributor and magnelli coils. I would like to have a cost effective, reliable solution that will improve performance even if only slightly.
    I've seen a lot of talk about the MSD system which looks like the route i'd like to go, but i wouldn't know where to start and if anyone has a part list for a complete turnkey solution i'd appreciate it.
    I'm based in the U.K and it's a European spec model.
    If there are any other specifics about the car that will help, let me know, but overall the ignition system is completely original. The main reason is i've had to coil pack failures in a matter of months and i think it's a good time for an upgrade vs replacing the originals once again.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
  3. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    What performance aspect are you looking to improve? Reliability? Horsepower?

4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Nothing on Ferraris are cost effective , PERIOD, you should leave it alone, 328s are fine just the way they are, or you can Tubi and Test pipe it, the sound will make u feel like the car is faster lol .Like all have said, you can buy another Ferrari for what it costs to rip the motor apart and crank it up to 3.5 Liters, thats the only way to gain any real world power , its that simple.

Thank you

Rickfabio likes this.
  5. Rickfabio

Rickfabio Rookie

Oct 2, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rickfabio
    Thanks for the replies. Frankly I'm not expecting any real world performance gains, I'd just rather upgrade the system for something more modern and reliable than fork out for all the OEM parts again. I'll have a look at Nick's kits, just thought I'd ask if anyone has ever done an MSD system retrofit.

6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    The MSD parts are more expensive any way you look at it, my 89 has 103 k miles, with one cap and rotor set change, and 3 sets of wires, connectors, over 22 years. And the factory look cannot be beat . Good luck.

Thank you

Rickfabio likes this.
  7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The original coil packs are very good, you might have been unlucky

Rickfabio and ginoBBi512 like this.
  8. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #8 GordonC, Jul 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    I installed Nick's Electromotive XDi kit this winter with two extras - I bought the Hall Sensor and MAP sensor direct from Electromotive. Scott (smg2) here recommends the Hall sensor as being more reliable than the standard magnetic sensor for the crank trigger pickup; and I just believed that adding the vacuum advance function would be worthwhile since even the original Digiplex controls had vacuum advance for various load maps for the ignition.

The kit transformed the way my car ran - so much so that I have to believe that both Digiplexes had failed on their vacuum sensors and were stuck on full ignition retard. The SDi kit also got rid of a persistent misfire above ~5800 rpm, now it pulls smoothly and strongly right through 7000. After chasing the misfire etc through changing ignition wires, extenders, rotors, distributor caps, coils... I also took the opportunity to eliminate the extenders from the plug wire setup, I used Hemi tubes with the original QV plug hole tops to create one piece wires plugging directly in to the top of the plugs.

Cheers,
    Gordon

Image Unavailable, Please Login