For Sale - 1986 Jag XKS V12 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

For Sale 1986 Jag XKS V12

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by MK1044, Jun 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    A friend of mine has that car, green on tan. It sat in heated storage for 17 years. He decided to sell it so we installed a new battery to check the electrical components for a potential buyer. Just for the hell of it, he decided to start it. No BS, it fired up and idled on its own on the 2nd turn of the key! that's with the 17 year old gas! He told the buyer, " I'm keeping it" ...lol
    I reminded him why he parked it, but he definetly had the means to put it back on the road. Two years later, it's stilI running strong. His car has absoultley no rust though. The most important thing to remember with this model is that the exhaust runs right under the tunnel beside the seats and creates intense cabin heat. Working A/C is critical.

F456M, Texas Forever and MK1044 like this.
  2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I wish I could quit looking at this. If I had a flatbed and an F250 I'd drive to NJ to pick it up....

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    https://www.uhaul.com/

Fly there, haul back. Stop at a bunch of Fchatter meet-and-greets on the way. Make a memory.

MK1044 and carguyjohn350 like this.
  4. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    That would make outstanding financial sense! :)

I was actually thinking it would be good for YOU. You have the space..... :D

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I know of a red one in the weeds in Tomball, they litter the landscape across the US

6. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Agree, but it sould be as what happens in a Ferrari 365/400/412, correct? I 'm asking as I don't know Jags at all.

Thank you!!

Ciao

7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i watch detailer videos where they take cars like this, clean them up, and sell for big (relatively) bucks. call ammo nyc to see if theyre interested make a video of it.

AtomicPunk88 and paulyp like this.
  8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

It's hard to believe, but the XJS was the successor to the XKE.
    With an automatic they should have been free at the dealor.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would wager this car would "detail out" to almost new condition, cosmetically.

However, that one spot of rust thru on the rear chrome bumper, maybe a pool chemical spill or something, as it seems out of character, compared to the rest of the vehicle. Later cars had the "soap bar" paint look so a body colored 'glass repro on the bumpers would be an update.

Past that, you only have the dodgy over engineering of Jaguar, the dangers of Lucas electrics, and most of them had TWO 12V batteries on board to power all the electrci windows, seat motors, bun warmers, etc.

I 'll bet the engine purrs, but even the more popular XKEs were the straight six cylinder engines.

A sweetie here was game to go get it, I said: "No we are getting the Egg Harbor Sportfisher 33'"
    :D :D :D

one4torque and MK1044 like this.
  10. DougDish

DougDish Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I have a friend here in NJ who is willing to take the Jag sight unseen and is capable of removing it from the garage without damaging the garage whether the car rolls or not. Please reach out to me so I can share my friend's contact details. Thank you.

Doug

one4torque likes this.
  11. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    In the very early design stages of the XJS, it was conceived as a mid-engine. Hence the buttress design on the rear lid, which is typical of a mid-engine car. The engineering strategy changed to front-engine but the chassis design remained the same. This could be the reason why the exhaust path is affecting cabin temperature.

12. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I heard the rumor that, rather than a conscious decision to maintain the same chassis architecture, when modifying the front of the chassis to accept engine placement there, they simply forgot to redesign the rear of the car's chassis to simplify it before the XJS was confirmed for production. I don't know how true that is though.

All the best,
    Andrew.

13. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    that is definitely plausible

14. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Have confidence in yourself… fly in w a tool box… drive home for a road adventure of a lifetime!

F456M likes this.
  15. YYZ

YYZ Rookie

Jul 17, 2011
    Toronto
    I like these cars but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one with the back bumper rusted through like that…

Either something was dripping on it in the garage, or it’s a sign of much worse rust elsewhere

16. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Hello, a
    Is there any update to this vehicle?

Jim

jimpo1 likes this.
  17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I did that to a 1974 XJ12L sitting in a dry heated garage for 20 years untouched. It was very exciting. Drove it home to Oslo from Stockholm where it sat. I got it for 500 euro. After 1 houre the alternator belt snapped and I had no charging. After three houres the car died in the middle of nowhere. My phone was out of battery and the cigarlighter outlet did not work. It started after 20 mins. and I drove to the nearest "village". It was nobody there, and no where to call from. The outside temps was great. One of those summer nights... So slept in the rear seat. Woke up again early in the morning. Engine started right up and I found a shop with batteries. Bought a new battery and drove home. Car worked great after cleaning the four Stromberg carburators and draining the fuel tank etc. A real pain to work on these cars. Too much hoses and horrendous British 70ies wiring.... But such a cosy and quiet car to drive. And they just sniff on the smell of fuel!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

donkost, johnei, jimangle and 6 others like this.