1986 TR Changing Dashboard Instrument Lights | FerrariChat

1986 TR Changing Dashboard Instrument Lights

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by MaseratiMike, Oct 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What is the easiest step by step method to change the bulbs on the dashboard instruments and even left hand side warning lights such as Indicator, Handbrake etc. 1986 Testarossa. Some of my bulbs have blown and will be replacing with LEDs.

I hope I don't have to take the dashboard out like other threads I have seen?
    Thanks in advance

2. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I did this. You will need to remove the steering wheel first, and for that a special tool is required.

Next you remove the upper and lower plastic covers off the steering wheel column. Be careful, they are fragile.

Unplug the two connectors under the dash which lead up to the gages. They were hidden behind the speaker box on my car (‘87).

There is one lock nut at the bottom of the gages, in front, just above the column. Then I believe the gage console should come free. There are two tabs toward the back of it that have to be clear before it can come up, you push toward the windshield and up.

The old thread on LED replacement bulbs is no longer accurate. Just replace them all with either white or red ones, a ten pack of each should get you where you need to be. Let me know when you get to that point and I’ll dig up the part numbers.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    You shouldn't need to remove steering wheel. Put the steering wheel all the way down. Remove the 7mm nut holding small trim panel. Then there is two 10mm nuts holding the speedometer/tach pod. Disconnect three wiring plugs under dash. Swing up pod and remove. Search my posts on hear for more accurate info!

4. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thank you for setting the record straight, lol. My memory wasn't that good. I'd still recommend removing the steering wheel for one reason: the VIN plate on top of the column surround. You don't want to damage that or the surrounds while removing the cluster and there's not a ton of room. That said if you can do it without removing the wheel, awesome!

5. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great many thanks for the information, this was spot on and easy to get the cluster pod off. There were indeed 3x 10mm nuts to remove on mine.....

However behind the speaker panel where the 3x instrument loom connectors are located, a small Bosch fan blower was just dangling! Any idea where this lives and goes into exactly? Assume it's a blower fan for the cabin climate control system?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
  7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Yes it connects behind the dash where to the climate control sensor. I don't see a knee pad. Anyway if you get up behind the dash with a mirror you will see where it goes. It attaches to the dash back face close to the sensor outlet. I removed my whole dash last winter. I wrote up a forum on it. search the forums with my postings.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    There’s no knee pad bc its an ‘86. I believe that blower motor is for the thermostat sensor located on the left corner dash piece.

9. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
  10. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    When I had a Tach going nuts, I dropped my speedo cluster off at Hollywood Speedometer. They fixed it pronto and replaced all the bulbs at my request for about $220 back in 2012. I understand the temptation for LED's but love the warm glow of original lamps. Personal taste.

11. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    However behind the speaker panel where the 3x instrument loom connectors are located, a small Bosch fan blower was just dangling! Any idea where this lives and goes into exactly? Assume it's a blower fan for the cabin climate control system?
    View attachment 2619805 [/QUOTE]

The blower fan attaches to the underside near where its hanging from. There is a bracket mounted under the dash and a rubber band that looks like an o-ring wraps around the fan. This is a PITA to put back as it also needs to connect to the piping. If you can contort yourself by lying on your back with your head suck in the footwell you will be able to put it back. I would take a picture but my back is killing me right now ;) Let me know if you find where it goes and if not I'll post a picture next week
    Jeff

12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Four bolts, remove the seat, easier on the back!

13. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The blower fan attaches to the underside near where its hanging from. There is a bracket mounted under the dash and a rubber band that looks like an o-ring wraps around the fan. This is a PITA to put back as it also needs to connect to the piping. If you can contort yourself by lying on your back with your head suck in the footwell you will be able to put it back. I would take a picture but my back is killing me right now ;) Let me know if you find where it goes and if not I'll post a picture next week
    Jeff[/QUOTE]

Hi Jeff

Could I be a pain and ask for a photo or two of where it goes please? As Im struggling to locate where it should go? Thanks in advance....

14. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Brilliant, thank you very much!